Next Thread
Print Thread
L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
...but I wanted to give it a try in case I have hope. I took delivery of my car yesterday after having it decomissioned for nearly 3 months. The car had been painted in the morning and my body guy told me that it would be fine to take home at night, so I picked it up and took it home. While I was installing the left headlamp, the underside of it's housing had a rough edge (mind you this was a new headlight out of the box, but appeared to have some excess adhesive which protruded in the form of a blade under the housing), and made a gash on the topside of my bumper as I nestled it in place.

By the time I realized that the housing had this, it was too late. The gash/scratch was about 1 inch long, 1mm wide on the topside of the bumper right under the headlamp, and seemed sub-primer level. I ripped the excess glue off of the headlamp but the damage was already done. After what seemed to be an endless supply of bad words being yelled out that neighbors 4 houses away could hear, I completed the installation of headlamps and new grill.

My question joking aside is, can this small gash "buff out" and is it a product of paint that was not dried thoroughly? The guy told me to come back next week for wet-sand and buff but I doubt this (or lack thereof) would have any effect on the integrity of freshly applied paint. I have touch up paint to cover the stratch for now, but it's disconcerting to know it's there nonetheless.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by RawBurt:

Unfortunately I will feel more inclined to do that once I address these issues first =(

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
With most paint jobs, you are supposed to wait a good week to 2 weeks before waxing. I'm still trying to figure out what you are asking here. But, I would run out there right now and put the touch up paint on it NOW so everything can cure together. Do it neatly. Once it dries and cure over a week or so, start waxxing and buffing. It will be HARD to see it then. The problem with touch up paint is people use it on their 5 year old paint job that is fully cured, faded, and covered with wax. It will NEVER match. But on a fresh;y painted no waxxed still in the curing process paint job, you'll be kosher with touch up paint.

Didn't you say your body guy will take care of the scratch for you?

Anyone else think his post needs less "I wirte stories for a living?" I think I'll be seeing that written up as a childrens bed time story someday.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by STRYPED BS:
With most paint jobs, you are supposed to wait a good week to 2 weeks before waxing. I'm still trying to figure out what you are asking here. But, I would run out there right now and put the touch up paint on it NOW so everything can cure together. Do it neatly. Once it dries and cure over a week or so, start waxxing and buffing. It will be HARD to see it then. The problem with touch up paint is people use it on their 5 year old paint job that is fully cured, faded, and covered with wax. It will NEVER match. But on a fresh;y painted no waxxed still in the curing process paint job, you'll be kosher with touch up paint.

Anyone else think his post needs less "I wirte stories for a living?" I think I'll be seeing that written up as a childrens bed time story someday.

LOL. What he said was to bring it back for wet-sand and buff but he does not know about the scratch yet. I will do the touch up thing this evening and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: At least my stories are real-life.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by knightlife:
...LOL. What he said was to bring it back for wet-sand and buff but he does not know about the scratch yet. I will do the touch up thing this evening and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: At least my stories are real-life.

That was a low blow.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by knightlife:
Originally posted by STRYPED BS:

LOL. What he said was to bring it back for wet-sand and buff but he does not know about the scratch yet. I will do the touch up thing this evening and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: My stories are real-life with fluffy clouds and Miami Vice scenarios.

Fixxed.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
PERSONALLY: I would call him up and tell him.. he may have your paint mix still available, and it would take literally 5 minutes to pop the lights out and spray that little section over.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Ray:
PERSONALLY: I would call him up and tell him.. he may have your paint mix still available, and it would take literally 5 minutes to pop the lights out and spray that little section over.

Ray

Seee, that was my original thought,and I know my boy X is smart to tink of things... just hought maybe there is something more behind it than just askin' the guy "Hey, got a little booboo, coudl you touch it up?!" I would honestly think he would hit you up for next to nothing to repair the thing.

Eithe rwya you go, it'll look awesome X.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
if u run your finger over it with your eyes closed and u feel the scratch then it will not completely buff out. if u dont feel it, its only in the clearcoat and should be able to be buffed out. u should see what i did to my roof less than 24 hours after getting my car from the body shop fully repainted. i still have to get it repaired.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard