#1367347 08/23/05 01:25 AM
S
svt490 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
ok here goes,

my car died back in april due to rod knock. I got a 34k svt engine and me and my dad did the engine swap. Got it going last week. I have put like 300 miles on it. Lansing to kalamazoo, kalamazoo to Edmore, Edmore to lansing, everything was fine, no big problems, no noises, nothing. I had the hood opened late at night and saw the spark plug wires lighting up, so I went to get some new wires. yesterday I put the wires on, drove to town to get a pizza and everything was fine. I noticed the engine did idle smoother. Today I was going to autzone to return a torque wrench and the car died. I was getting on the highway and at 60 or so the engine lost all power, the CEL was flashing like crazy and when I pushed in the clutch it died and wouldnt restart. I managed to get the car started by giving it some gas and its knocking really bad, and will not run for more than a few seconds. I Had the car towed home and scanned. codes read misfires in every cyl. P0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304, and p0305. I'm soo pissed right now . Any Ideas?

thanks
mike

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
check you wires sounds like they are in wrong to me or not seated.

05 Chevy Colorado z71 4x4 *for sale* 97 Honda Accord 4door track whore *12.9 N/A* (blown and wrecked) 97 Honda Accord 4 door 03 Eclipse GS
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JeSuS:
check you wires sounds like they are in wrong to me or not seated.

Check also for correct spark plug gaps. And this is the firing order.

FIREWALL
4-6-5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
BUMPER

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Gotta ask ...

What plugs/wires are you running?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Sounds like the timing chain might have slipped. My Thunderbird did almost the exact same thing--I was on the highway, it began misfiring and losing a lot of power, then it died and wouldn't restart. The timing belt had slipped, and shredded several teeth until the cam timing was so far off that it wouldn't run.

Does it sound any different when you crank the engine? In my case it cranked faster and more quietly than usual, since the valves were open on the compression stroke.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
S
svt490 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Gotta ask ...

What plugs/wires are you running?

plugs are double platinum Part# APP764, wires are double silicone ones from autozone.

what I do not understand, how would the plug wires cause a knocking sound? After if put the plug wires in, I drove the car for 15 miles and it was fine. The next day, I drove the car for like 10 miles and thats when it started acting up. I do not think this is anything spark plug related. If there was a problem with the plug wires such as not having them in the right order, the car never would have ran right.

When the original engine died due to rod knock, I didnt get a CEL

I pulled the front valve cover off trying to find the source of the knocking noise, and I cannot find anything wrong with the cams or springs or rockers, everything appears to be in working order.

I am going to try and pull the oil pan off tomorrow and see if anything down there is messed up.

I'm going to be very pissed if I have to swap this engine again.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Take the plug wires back to AutoZone and get either AutoLite Professionals or Motorcrafts.

The knocking might be from the ignition misfires which are being caused by cross-coupling of the firing voltages from adjacent plug wires.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
on the plug note. i just changed the plugs with the autolite platinums from autozone here in kazoo and the car was acting up really bad. as soon as i started it up it was shaking really bad and my rpms were all over the place from 500 to 1000 back and forth. i assumed that it was my 02 sensor since i just had changed it at the same time, however i put the old spark plugs back in it and it was fine after that....so i am not sure what is going on, the guy at autozone looked up the part number and all and gave me what the computer said.

I think they were the wrong plugs? maybe you should double check the plugs just to be on the safe side.

'98 Contour Sport 2.5 Duratec '00 GTP Coupe
S
svt490 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
i got a new set of wires and it still did the same thing. I pulled off the valve covers and have 3 broken rockers. 2 on the intake valve on the #1 cyl. and 1 on the intake valve of the #2 cyl. I pulled the spark plugs out and they are not damaged. Any ideas on how these broke? Im so pissed right now its not even funny

mj

S
svt490 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
so no one has any ideas on why 3 rockers would break?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard