Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D

I recently had my fuel pump replaced. Now I've got fuel on a schrader(?) valve under the throttle body area. I sop up the fuel and it refills in a few seconds.

So how should I deal with this valve? Should there be a cap on it? Should I try putting a socket on it and tightening it slightly?

TIA!

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
As you have already guessed, it is very similar to tha tire schreider valve.

Yes, it should have a cap, but the cap isn't ment to really hold much. It is intended to keep the valve clean.

The valve core may not be fully tightened into the housing and could be leaking only because it is slightly loose. It may be leaking because there is a little dirt on the seat of the valve core. Hopefully, it is not leaking because the fuel rail near the valve is cracked.

I don't know if the valve core uses the same tool as a tire valve core. I would try one and see. See if it is loose. If not, remove it and check it for damage or debris. I doubt if the valve core can be interchanged with a tire valve core. You will probably need to obtain one from a dealer. Although I would try to find a fuel valve cap for it, I would try to see if a tire valve cap would fit rather than leaving it bare. That just might be the reason you are having trouble with it now.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D

Thanks Jim. I read elsewhere that you should simply try pressing in the pin a couple times to see if that reseats it and stops the leak. It seemed to in my case. I'll see about stealing a cap for it off one of my bikes.

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
the cap on my fuel schraeder is much thicker, and the ID is larger, as well.

Not too sure about that working on your part!

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Ray:
the cap on my fuel schraeder is much thicker, and the ID is larger, as well.

Not too sure about that working on your part!

Ray

Yeah I seem to remember it was sort of thick and cylinder-shaped. Maybe I need to go back to the garage that replaced the fuel pump and see about getting the cap, on the off chance it's still lying around. Or maybe I can socially engineer another one.

Link Copied to Clipboard