Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
If the title isn't a hint, I'm riding from Houston to Sturgis in about 2 1/2 weeks with my father-in-law. I'm trying to figure out the best route and Mapquest and Rand McNally have their versions and I've seen some roads I think may be quicker. So, rather than post four different threads in four different areas, I thought I'd try to get a response here first.

Oklahoma: Basically we'll just be cutting it in half by going North on I-35 and it looks to be an easy straight shot. Just looking for any heads up as far as construction and possible local law enforcement problem areas.

Kansas: Here's where the majority of my questions are. Mapquest has the route go toward Kansas City after passing Wichita and then heading back Northwest. That looks like it will add at least 3 or 4 hours that I don't want to have to do. Rand McNally has the us going I-35 North to I-135 N. then West on I-70 all the way into Colorado. My map looks like we could take I-70 west to US-83 North. Any Kansas advice?

Nebraska: This state depends on which route we take through Kansas. If we take US-83 North through Nebraska, I'd wonder how good the road is and how far the gas stops are. It's not a major Interstate so I'm a little worried about that. And law enforcement out in the boonies, too.

South Dakota: Also dependent on our route but more than likely I-90 West. Gas stops, construction zones and law enforcement our main concerns. Obviously though, law enforcement will be out in full force with the rally going on or about to begin.

And please keep any negative comments about Harley riders to yourselves. I've owned a sportbike and am looking at probably getting a Monster sometime in the near future. But, I'm a rider than likes Harley's as well and am going for the experience of Sturgis, good and bad.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I can recommend a route starting in Kansas: Certainly 135N. Going through KC adds 2 hours to the trip. I'd recommend taking 81 North to Nebraska (then I-80), since Nebraska has the 75 speed limit with limited 'interference' west of Lincoln. Once you have to break off 80 to head north to Sturgis (pretty much at the WY-NE border), you're riding on decent highways with minimal 'interference'. It's pretty neat up there and there are a few attractions in SD on the way up there.

If your aim is to stay on Interstates as much as possible, then your best bet is to take 35 N through KC to 29, to 90. But that will by far be the route with the most interference. So it all depends on what type of drive you prefer.

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
We're looking for the shortest route there because we're not pulling the bikes on a trailer. We're actually riding the trip.

I see where I-135 ends and 81 begins. I'm guessing the transition isn't going from a major Interstate to some dirt road . Then onto I-80 W to maybe US-385 N ?

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
i live right by sioux falls, sd, i just drove through rapid, to go to cheynne last weekend, road construction, i dont think even more then 25 miles from sf to Rapid city. it was all east river too, (east of the missiouri river), in the badland area theres nto much for gas spots, so make sure you are filled up, its a pretty long, desate land when your out in the middle of nowheres, speed limits 75 though,(thats always a plus) theres some countys out here with an average of 3 people per square mile, its like nomans land, from wall drug to rapid theres not much of anything, (and thats about an hour drive) theres badlands there, its a nice scenic route, unless yoru in a hurry
mike

Mike 1999 Ford Contour SE 2.0 Zetec Silver Frost/midnight blue CTA intake 35% tint all around Plasma Blue backup bulbs 130,000 miles/100k on the engine www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483494
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
In Oklahoma the cops love to patrol I-35 and they do it on motorcycles and we have a ton of unmarked cars such as but not limited to a yukon rollin on 20" spinners

Trollin the boards as of 9/23
Originally posted by GS474:
stock hp is never enough

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by 1314:
I see where I-135 ends and 81 begins. I'm guessing the transition isn't going from a major Interstate to some dirt road . Then onto I-80 W to maybe US-385 N ?

No, 81 is not a bad road. A lot of people take it to get from 70 to 80. And yes, 385 N is the way to go. Also not a bad road. I'd suggest going to Wind Cave National Park if you have time. There are also a lot of abandoned missle silos along that road that are pretty cool to look at.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 1314:
We're looking for the shortest route there because we're not pulling the bikes on a trailer. We're actually riding the trip.

US 81 from I-135 (junction at Salina) is built to Interstate standards to the Nebraska border. 70 MHP speed limits all the way. Its four lane limited access, you'll never know you left the "offical" interstate system.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I live in Rapid City approximately 30-40 minutes from Sturgis. Before I give you any information... just promise me you won't drive like all the bikers do down here... they drive like idiots... they'll squeeze inbetween cars.... and makes me want to run into one of them because it would be there fault... but anyway...

There is construction on I-90 right around Rapid City... around exit 60 (I think)and that exit is CLOSED. There is also more construction toward the western part of Rapid. I can't remember the Exit number but I think its lik 53 or 55 or something like that.. From there its smoothe sailing. Those construction areas don't slow down traffic much at all except the second one. It gets reduced down to one lane. I am an interstate guy, so when I travel I stick to them. It is really boring from basically Mitchell to Wall... then its boring from Wall to Rapid.

Don't forget to not drive like an idiot and make sure you leave early for everything. I can't get to a gas station 5 minutes away right before the Sturgis Rally... takes me about 15 minutes cuz traffic is terrible.

Cops are also not that big of a problem. On the interstates... I see maybe 2 or 3 if any on a trip from here to Sioux Falls.

Good Luck and have Fun. I wonder if Chip Foose will be down there this year. It'd be cool to meet him...

Steve

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Static:
In Oklahoma the cops love to patrol I-35 and they do it on motorcycles and we have a ton of unmarked cars such as but not limited to a yukon rollin on 20" spinners

More south towards the Ardmore area they are big time speed enforcers. Pretty much any time your are inside city limits you better be doing the limit. County limits and you gotta watch for the troopers and sheriffs.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"

Link Copied to Clipboard