Print Thread
#1331227 07/11/05 12:30 AM
S
svt490 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am having a hard time getting my drivers side axle out. I have the balljoint popped loose, but I cannot push the axle far enough through the hub to get it out. would it help to take off the tie rods? I did a search and I wasnt able to find any info

mike

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Get a gear puller, connect it to the hub and push the center of the cv and it'll push out.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I just did both front axles on my car this week.

I tore my front end right down.You don't necessarilly have to,but it's what I did. It's fairly easy to do and put back together. I did it myself,with a bit of help from a mechanic,and it was the first time I'd tackled a job like that.

First of all,get your wheel off,and remove the brake caliper and rotor. Don't let the caliper hang loose,it can damage the brake line,so hang it up from the strut with a piece of wire or something. Now you're down to the bare hub.
Get a pickle fork and a mallot and pop off the tie rod after taking out the cotter pin and unbolting it. It should come out very easily.
I had to take off my lower balljoint,and on the bottom of the control arm,there are 3 bolts which hold it on. Unbolt them,and then get a long screwdriver or pry bar in between the balljoint and control arm and pry until it comes apart. It can be a bit of a hassle,but it'll come.
After that's off,you can now unbolt the hub from the strut. One 18mm bolt holds the hub to the strut,so once you get that off,hammer on the hub and fiddle with it until it comes off. Turning the wheel to the left may help,and you can pull the cv joint out of the hub. Once that's out,all you have to do now is pop it out of the tranny. Tranny fluid will probably start leaking out,so have some rags ready.
Put the new shaft in,and reassemble everything. Took about 2 and a half hours just for one side.

I definetly suggest finding a second set of hands to help you out. Good luck!

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
remove the driver's side tie-rod bolt (don't twist, or turn the tie-rod afterwards or else you will be adjusting your alignment)

that will help.

with a gear puller, you can push it out. without the puller, you may can turn the hub slightly (not 60 or 70 degrees, mind you) and pull out on the hub itself, to give more room for the cv to move.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard