Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
First off, in January I got a ticket for running a stop sign, then expired insurance(I had the current insurance but the cop didn't feel like re-writing the ticket,) and for my dealer plastic blocking the tabs. Yeah that sucks, but I can deal with the consequences, it was my fault. Well I called the court maybe 20 times after this happened, usually waiting on hold for 20-50 minutes, then getting dropped. I got through a few times and asked when the court date was. Initially they said we don't have it yet, call back. Eventually they said they were backed up and they would send something in the mail. Well today I got something that said I MISSED MY COURT DATE! and I owe them $525.xx Is there anyway that I can prove I tried to find out the court date, and never did? Or is this gonna be another one of those times when the system is too busy for one person, so they decide to screw em. This is just something I can't afford right now, so I'm pissed. It just seems like the system has screwed me so many times in the last 6 months I'm beginning to question my patriotism... I'm not gonna get into all the other stuff now, but do I even have a chance??

Old Ride- 98 Black Mystique; Duratec/ATX Mystique, the luxury SVT New Ride- 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade PS This is what part of the alphabet would look like if the letters Q and R were omitted...
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
Phone records showing the number of times you called the courthouse?

Warning: Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginity.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by jkf79indy:
Phone records showing the number of times you called the courthouse?

Good idea. Get ahold of your phone company and have them pull up how long you were on that line. I get that every month with my cell phone bill w/o asking. Also get the court to prove that they never send any form of notice out.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Matt R:
Also get the court to prove that they never send any form of notice out.

I do not know about Michigan, but in Ca., There is a statement on the ticket that notice of your court date may or may nt be sent to you. If no notice at all is received, it is your responsibility to appear in court regardless.

If Michigan has anything like this on their tickets, simply showing that no notice was ever received may not be enough. However, with the phone records showing that you were actively trying to inquire about your court date may help in atleast lowering your fine.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
In New York, when you recive a ticket, they write the court date right on the ticket. All the cops have a schedule of local court dates. They also let you mail it in if you want.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TheAlmightyMe:
Originally posted by Matt R:
Also get the court to prove that they never send any form of notice out.

I do not know about Michigan, but in Ca., There is a statement on the ticket that notice of your court date may or may nt be sent to you. If no notice at all is received, it is your responsibility to appear in court regardless.

If Michigan has anything like this on their tickets, simply showing that no notice was ever received may not be enough. However, with the phone records showing that you were actively trying to inquire about your court date may help in atleast lowering your fine.

I think Michigan might be the same way, but I don't know how I could have found out. I spent all this time on the phone and got nothing. I do have better things to do with my time. I would have over the last few months I spent maybe 12 hours waiting on the phone...

Old Ride- 98 Black Mystique; Duratec/ATX Mystique, the luxury SVT New Ride- 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade PS This is what part of the alphabet would look like if the letters Q and R were omitted...
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
I am surprised the our own Davo has not made a comment yet...

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Sounds like it's time to hire a lawyer. Failure to Appear isn't something you want on your record.

There is probably a bench warrant for your arrest out as well. If you're lucky they haven't suspended your license yet.

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Yeah, you're quite lucky that there hasn't been a warrant issued for failure to appear...I'd watch my step until this is resolved. In the interim....who did you speak with at the court house? You DID get a name, right?? 2nd...get a good attorney to help get your keister out of this one....

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Well, I was plannin on calling my lawyer today to get this resolved, but I got lucky. I called the court at 7:50, and someone picked up! I explained the situation, and the person on the phone told me that I never actually had a scheduled court date. This means thats the fines I got in the mail don't mean anything. So.. I'm goin to court in a few weeks to get this all sorted out. I'm happy with the outcome, but I was so pissed yesterday. Thanks for the comments guys!

Link Copied to Clipboard