Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
hey guys i have a 95 contour se mtx and i'm starting to hook up the system what kind of speakers do u guys have out there that runs best with an aftermarket radio. I called crutchfield and they told me that only the poineers that they have will fit in my car the others speakers will need mod's to be done ?? ? can others speakers be put in and how hard is it?

Lucas Alves
J
J
WEll I have Kappa's...it is not hard to install them at all. I have 5x7 in the back, all I had to do was drill new holes (piece of cake) and in the front I have 5.25 which wasnt hard to fit in their either. If you go circle, go 6.5 or the oversized 6.5. 5.25 do nothing for midbass. Just get the size speakers you want, it really isnt that hard to modify. Oh yeah in the front I have components, and I cut holes in the factory sail panel and flush mounted my tweeters in there. Will post pics when I get my camera working again.

99 Mercury Mystique Red (toredor) ATX 2.5 V6. Stock right now excluding sound system.

Sound System:
Alpine CDA-7864
Infinity Kappa Components 5.25
Infinity Kappa 5x7's (rear)
2 12" JBL Power Series Subs
Rockford Fosgate 160a2 (interior)
Crunch 4004C (Sub Amp)
Phoenix Gold Power Wire, Fuse Holder, Distribution Blocks, Speaker Wire, and RCA's.

Future Mods: KKM intake
Indiglo HVACS and gauges (hopefully SVT)
SVT exhaust
Stock SVT wheels
Body Kit?
email if selling any of these items.
A
A
don't even think about the pioneer's 6x8(TS-A6857). I bought the speakers a little over a year ago they fit perfectly but they sounded like shi*. I was running them of an MTX amp 120W to each speaker, these speakers should've handled upto 180W but distorted with the gain almost all the way down.
I ended up getting rid of these speakers and replacing them with Boston Acoustic's 5x7(RX87). I've been running them for almost a year and they sound loud and clear, I highly recommened these speakers.

95 SE MTX Midnight Red
Dual Extrude Honed SVT Intake Manifold / 65mm TB / SC Cold Air Induction / Ford Racing 9mm Plug Wires / Quaife Limited Slip Differential / Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch / Fidanza Flywheel / UR Underdrive Pulley / Custom Dual Straight Flow Exhaust / StreetGlow Sport Pedals / Tint / Pioneer Deck and CD Changer / 2 12" Orion XTR subs / 2 MTX amps(425&280watts) / Phoenix Gold Titanium Bass Cube and Wiring / Boston Acoustic 5x7's, and Rockford Fosgate Tweeters. Next: 19# injectors and chip
Rebuilt engine @180,000 km
Rebuilt tranny @215,000 km
C
C
nOsSvTcOnToUr: I've got Infinity Kappa 693.1i 6x9's up front, Pioneer TS-A6865 6x8's in back. Fitting the 6x9's was just a matter of drilling new screw holes. The Pioneers aren't too bad, but there are definitely better options available.

abwamo: Your distortion problems with the Pioneers were probably due to feeding them too much power. They're only rated 50W RMS.

Tom
98 LX
O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by abwamo:
don't even think about the pioneer's 6x8(TS-A6857). I bought the speakers a little over a year ago they fit perfectly but they sounded like shi*. I was running them of an MTX amp 120W to each speaker, these speakers should've handled upto 180W but distorted with the gain almost all the way down.
I ended up getting rid of these speakers and replacing them with Boston Acoustic's 5x7(RX87). I've been running them for almost a year and they sound loud and clear, I highly recommened these speakers.
eek eek eek eek

The pioneers are only rated at 50 RMS max!!!! They will certainly distort if you run 120 to them!!!! eek

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by abwamo:
Yeah,,,ummm, rms is sorta the limit of continous wattage you want to give speakers. I have the pioneers and they sound pretty good, especially for the cost($120 for all 4). I run them from a sony HU, so if you ran them from an amp at 50w with good hookups they will sound fine(unless you're a fanactic about perfect sound).

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
B
B
Pioneer is not your only option for speakers.

here's what i will be running very soon.

[img]http://images.snapfish.com/334%3A5%3A3923232%7Ffp37%3Dot%3E2326%3D565%3D3%3A7%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3B%3B47%3B962ot1lsi[/img]

1998 E0 SVT #3128, T-Red

2001 Infiniti G20t
1974.5 MG B GT
B
B
Almost any 6.5" speaker with less than 2 11/16" depth will fit, if you let a professional installer do it. While you're at it, may I suggest, component speakers in the front, with the tweeters aimed up at a 45 degree angle off the door sails, pointed towards the rearview mirror? It sounds odd but it works - trust me.

If you don't want to cut metal, you can get perfectly fine 6x8 components - if you're willing to pony up the bux... Boston makes rc820s which are dynamite drop-ins for the contour - they just cost about $320 list. A pair of those up front and a pair of the RM6 components in back on an adapter plate will fit without any metal cutting.

Don't forget to dynamat while you have the doors off!

1999 SVT TRed/Tan. Upgrades: Pioneer DEH-9300 head unit, 6 disc changer (under passenger seat), MTX Pro 400x5 amp, Boston RC620s front & rear and MTX 10" sealed box sub in the trunk. New headlamps with PIAA Xtreme White 9005/9006 bulbs.
C
C
Don't even bother with the rear speakers right away, invest your money in good front speakers with an amp to drive them, that is where the majority of the sound comes from. Keep in mind that sound is measured on a logarithimic scale so 4 speakers are NOT twice as loud as 2, adding the rear speakers will provide better sound for those in the backseat, but not a huge difference to you the driver (Unless you do a lot of biznuss in the backseat ; )

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard