Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Does anyone know how much (ballpark) a shop would gut pre-cats for??

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by getlucky151:
Does anyone know how much (ballpark) a shop would gut pre-cats for??

No shop will touch them since it is illegel unless you personally know the mechanic and hes willing to do it.

2000 Silver Frost SVT #77 of 2150 Lots O' Mods To Many To List. My Car My Home Page
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I do know the mechanic.... ....so how much.?

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Do not remove the main cat, if anything replace with a highflow. It has been dynoed and proven that removing the main cat and placing in a test pipe have gotten negative gains to our cars. But hey thats jsut what a dyno says!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by getlucky151:
I do know the mechanic.... ....so how much.?

If he's never done it before, figure about 3 hours of labor. This assumes he's got a lift & proper tools, and I'm being generous.

Seriously, if you've got the cash for headers, go for it! Gutted precats will essentially gain you nothing unless they're falling apart inside.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
is there any advantage of putting a custom made true dual exhaust on the 2.5L?

1998 mercury Mystique 2.5L with that stupid slush box only engine mod so far a optimized tb dark blue with midnight blue leather interior finnaly got rid of the door ding guards and pinstripe
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
please type that in the search!! That topic has been discussed many times!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
im just going to go with the headers. my friend has a 91 accord and headers gave him a real good power gain. once i put my headers in and my 3.0 uim im going for a chip. than after that ill be saving for a 3L.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
im just going to go with the headers. my friend has a 91 accord and headers gave him a real good power gain. once i put my headers in and my 3.0 uim im going for a chip. than after that ill be saving for a 3L.

You suck

Wish I had some money..

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Let me toss my (contrarian).02 in here. If you simply punch the precat material out, as someone here posted that there's not much gain, and I believe it. However, if you take a close look at the internal construction of the precats AND address the internal impediments to flow there are significant gains.

My precats were welded internally & externally, ported and then punched. Although I did not do any back to back (also added other parts at the time of install)there were significant gains and my total outlay was $50. As I recall, Terry Haines quoted gains of approx. 10HP.

The main problem is the stock Y pipe collector. This would be the first item I'd address. IMO, $600 for a set of headers is outrageous. MSDS HP claims on the website are obviously overstated. Everyone I know who has them, has complained about premature rusting. Now I know they offer an optional better coating, but it's an additional cost.

So there you have it, $50 vs. $600+, although you get a Y pipe too. Labour is the same either way.

You decide.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard