Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
possible to change rear shoes without disconnecting brake lines to avoid having to bleed them?

thanks

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i don't know how you change your brakes but you shouldn't be removing the brake lines

you should also bleed the brakes for safety and feel

you might be able to unadjust the parking bake enough to get the shoes off, but you are going to have to bleed fluid off to push the cylinders in to allow for the new shoe

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
thanks, do you know what size the bolt is that (i assume) hooks the drum to the hub?

looks to be maybe an inch and a quarter, or an inch and 5/16ths?

does anyone know?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
drum is held onto the hub by the shoes, when you back them off you will be able to pull the drum off

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
well basically the drum wouldn't come off after the tire was removed... we removed the small metal circular peice from the center and found a bolt under there... I'm assuming this bolt has to be removed in order for the drum to come off?

or should the drum come off without removing this bolt (what steps would you recommend to get it off?)

Thanks!

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
What kind of car you do you have?

On my Contour take off the wheel, use a hammer beat the drum and it comes off.
Secondly you need two tools, hold down springs remover, and a spring remoer to remove the shoes and springs.
The first you do is position the hold down spring remover on the circle things in the middle of the shoes, like where it curves, anyways do 1/4 turn, spring pops off, you need to hold it from the back by the way, so actually that gray thing on back, that end of the clip that holds down the hold down spring, just put your finger on that gray thing, then turn the tool 1/4 turn.
Hope that made sense, I dont think it does but I dont know a better way to say it without photos.
While replacing the shoes I highly recommened you buy the hardware kit, all new springs and such.
Also Contours are oddly designed in the rear, I recommend you do one side at a time so the other side is there to guide you incase you mess up.

Hope that helps.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the bolt in the center is for the spindle itself

the parking brake is self adjusting and it keeps the shoes right against the drum, you need to remove the little rubber cover on the bottom of the backing plate and back off the parking brake adjuster, then the drum will come off

you shouldn't need to hit it, and if you do I think it is best to do it lightly as it should be hit hard iirc

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard