Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I've done alot of searching to no avail...

will this can of STP Fuel Injector cleaner work alright?

she picked it up, but I guess I could just take it back and get some of the B-12 stuff...or would this be ok?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've heard it's junk. Can't say for sure, though.

Techron is supposed to be the real deal, or BG 44K, but it's much more expensive.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
The best way to clean FI is to hook a can right up to the fuel rail. Any thing you put in the tank is a waste of money. Federal law mandates specific amount of cleaning agents in gasoline. Adding that 12oz of stuff to 15gal of gas is pointless as it will evap before it is passed through the injectors.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Techron is one of the best cleaning additives.

STP Complete (silver bottle) is okay. The white bottle is not.

Provided of course you are planning to clean the injectors and the primary valves.

No fuel injector cleaner cleans the intakes (UIM/LIM) or secondary ports & valves.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
No fuel injector cleaner cleans the intakes (UIM/LIM) or secondary ports & valves.

which kinda sucks (the part about the secondary valves) because its hard to get those clean without risking something falling into the cylender

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mercman:
The best way to clean FI is to hook a can right up to the fuel rail. Any thing you put in the tank is a waste of money. Federal law mandates specific amount of cleaning agents in gasoline. Adding that 12oz of stuff to 15gal of gas is pointless as it will evap before it is passed through the injectors.

jeff

Huh... That's odd. So after I use a bottle of fuel treatment and I see my mileage raise; it's just imaginary?

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
From what I see, most of that stuff doesn't work. Someone mentioned to me that the fuel plus the detergents in it are usually sufficient to clean your injectors. But for about $3.00 a bottle it can't hurt.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Yea, iv never noticed a gain in Millage or performance....im sure it works on older vehicals, but like stated earlier, there are plenty of cleaning agents in fuel now that its usualy point less to add an additive.

that being said, it shouldn;t hurt to add it, though.

If your seeing signifigant gass millage increases, each time you use a addative,then you might have a problem that your not seeing.
Or for some reason your motor is causeing an exsessive amount of build up in the injectors and valves (aka, running too rich)

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TheAlmightyMe:

jeff

Huh... That's odd. So after I use a bottle of fuel treatment and I see my mileage raise; it's just imaginary?

In my opinion yes, and from the application of basic chemistry yes again. You can not burn 15 gallons of gas quick enough to get any usable amount of cleaner to the injectors. Most of it is sucked through the EVAP system. With today�s cars and driving habits there are just too many factors to do a scientific test on any mileage increase. What I can tell you is that $3.00 bottle of FIC can harm the inside lining of your tank and other seals and gaskets if over used. The best way is to connect the bottle, that way your injectors get a full treatment with a very efficient detergent.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

jeff

It's wonderful that we live in a society that permits different opinions. I respectively disagree with yours.

My difference in opinion is based on experience. Some of the injector cleaners are very strong. I can very easily tell the difference when road testing a car before and after cleaning.

I agree that if you have really dirty injectors more powerful means may be necessary. Even more powerful than the systems that feed the cleaner directly into the fuel rail from a pressurized can are systems that includes it's own pump and allows you to test the injectors. The most common of these is one made by Miller Tools. These heavy duty cleaning systems were common and even essentual before the advent of deposit resistant injectors (DRI). DRI has replaced the older style injectors and have been used pretty much exclusively since the late 80s and early 90s. DRI means just that, deposit resistant. They still get restricted, just not as badly as before and they still respond to cleaning.

Some cleaners are much better than others. The ones I know work from experience include Techron, RedLine, BG 44K, and MOC.

The cleaners can be so strong that they show up in an oil analysis even a few thousand miles after the treatment when you may have thought that it had all burned off.

I don't care what kind of gas you are using, you will benefit from a can or bottle of injector cleaner in the tank at least every 30,000 miles. Add a bottle RedLine added to a full tank of gas and you will feel the difference long before the tank is half gone.

I usually treat my car about every 10,000 miles along with a throttle body cleaning. About every third time I will do an engine decarbon as well to clean up the intake manifold and valves as well.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard