Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pete D 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/29/02 02:28 AM
I need/want a 3 megapixel camera for my digital photo class. I have more-or-less limited it down to a few models because I can get them where I work or where my friend works, and with a project due on monday, time is of the essence. So far I have found:
1. Sony DSC-S75 (for $400, but it's the display model)
2. Olympus C-3020 ($375)

I could get the DSC-S85 which is 4 megapixel for like $560, and I can order the C-3040 but I wouldn't have it in time for the project.

I am going to see if Best Buy has any clearance or discontinued models that are good deals. If anyone has any other models they might think are good, basically either I have to get it from work, where I can get it pricematched, or my friend can buy it with his discount, so that leaves
http://www.staples.com
[url=Circuit City]http://www.circuitcity.com[/url]

THNX
-Pete
Posted By: cpurser Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/29/02 03:14 AM
www.megapixel.net is the best site I have found for reviews of digital cameras. Good luck!
3040 is probably one of the best digital cameras i have seen. even better than the 4040! 4040 has color matching problems. 3020 is ok but has the lower quality lens, and doesn't have audio recording for mpeg. go with the 3040, you won't regret it.
Posted By: louisw Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/29/02 05:36 AM
www.dpreview.com is a better site IMO
Pete D, Check out staples all clearance and inactive cameras are 30% off and displays are 50%off we sold a dsc-75 for 200
go with the Olympus I have the c-3000 and love it.Although it is a bit bulky
I have the Olympus C-4040 and I love it. The picture quality is great. I would get the Olympus!
Minolta S404 ... 4 megapixel, on sale at Meijer right now for $410. All the reviews I have read say it's a great camera. I think I may get one. smile
Posted By: Pete D Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/29/02 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kjgolf09:
Pete D, Check out staples all clearance and inactive cameras are 30% off and displays are 50%off we sold a dsc-75 for 200
The DSC-s75 that we have was the display and is down to $399 right now, not sure if the GM would take any more off as he is pretty anal about that stuff. :p
mine isnt, did you guys go through the 50% off computers last summer, we did and i cashed in...
Posted By: Pete D Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/30/02 03:16 AM
nope frown

most of that stuff is gone even before it gets to clearance we do so much volume

-Pete
Nikon coolpix 995. very cool. i know someone has one on the board.
Posted By: Pete D Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/30/02 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by G r y m e s:
Nikon coolpix 995. very cool. i know someone has one on the board.
The 995 is a great camera but spending $500 on just the camera is a little too much, I think I would just get the Dimage 404 instead
Posted By: Jonny V Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/30/02 10:14 AM
Pete, I have an Olympus 3040 that Im selling. Check your PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete D:
Quote:
Originally posted by G r y m e s:
[b]Nikon coolpix 995. very cool. i know someone has one on the board.
The 995 is a great camera but spending $500 on just the camera is a little too much, I think I would just get the Dimage 404 instead[/b]
Shop online, dealtime and mysimon can find the camera for about 400 bucks.
Posted By: APT Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/30/02 10:16 PM
From Steves-digicams.com 2001 awards:

"Three-Megapixel
The Olympus C-3040 Zoom is the winner in the 3-megapixel consumer category. Olympus has continued to improve their digicam line based around their hugely popular C-2000 camera. It closely resembles a conventional 35mm rangefinder type camera both in looks and operation. The latest C-3040 model has a fast F1.8 3x zoom lens and a full compliment of exposure and metering modes. Olympus' compact digital cameras consistently deliver well-saturated and properly exposed color images. The C-3040 is perfect choice whether you want an automatic point-n-shoot or a fully-featured camera.
The second runner up is the Nikon Coolpix 995
The third runner up is the Minolta DiMAGE S304
"
Posted By: Moe Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 06/30/02 10:34 PM
I've have nothing but praise for my Olympus C-4040. My buddy has the C-3040, I think, and he feels the same way.

3 Megapixel reviews at Steve\'s Digicams
Posted By: Pete D Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 07/01/02 03:50 AM
My great idea with getting a DSC-S75 for $350 didn't pan out, I might have to spend $400 if I want it frown

cnet liked the 3040, but dp review didn't seem to like it as much, hrm

Grymes, I use all the major search engines and have only managed to find the 995 for well into the $400's for a refurb confused

-Pete
Posted By: APT Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 07/01/02 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete D:
Grymes, I use all the major search engines and have only managed to find the 995 for well into the $400's for a refurb confused

-Pete
FWIW, $400 for a one of the best 3mp cameras is still pretty cheap. There are good 2MP cameras for aboutthat much still.

If you can afford to wait a couple weeks, check out some of the hot deals sites. You never know when you can pick up a Nikon 995 for $250 which I have seen before. Dell & Gateway often have awesome coupons and obviously are great companies to buy from.

Fat Wallet
Anand Tech

and many more
I would try and get an Olympus. Their pictures are the best quality IMHO.
Posted By: Pete D Re: 3 megapixel digital camera? Suggestions? - 07/02/02 05:38 AM
looks like it's down to:
Olympus C-3040
Sony DSC-S75 (cheapest at $400)
Nikon Coolpix 995
Minolta dimage s404

guess I gotta order something tomorow
© CEG Archives