Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TaurusKev Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 02:57 AM
First thing - Toshiba sucks.

Second thing, anyone know where I can download an ISO for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005...

I have a legal product key underneath the Toshiba... But only a Toshiba Restore Disk, which doesn't ask for it, and it will do a complete wipe of the HDD, I don't want that.

Basically I want to do a Soft install... Because I don't want to delete anything on that thing. Too much stuff.
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 03:17 AM
Even if you do have the license, your only real option is to find someone that has a physical copy and make a copy or download some warez'd version (but we don't want to get into that). Is this a personal computer or a business one? If it's for business I am sure the IT dept would have a copy.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 12:49 PM
Stupid question, but did you try the restore disk ?

I've found a number will allow you to 're-install without wiping' nowadays.

Alternatively, look for i386 folder on your HDD and run setup from there, unless you are totally screwed.

You can order a replacement disk for Windows by having an authorised MS System Builder go here:

For information on the Media Replacement program please visit: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=555374 and fill out the form at: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/mr/MediaReplacement.aspx.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 01:14 PM
May god be with you.

There is tons of confusion when using any Windows Media Center Edition or Tablet PC Edition. Some being, Media Center has about 3 different years available, and a mix of OEM and retail copies. Giving about 5 different CD sets.

Tablet is not far behind that, but AFAIK, never sold in a retail copy. Tablet was installed by certain manufacturers only and they all came out with there own way to install it. Either recovery on the hard drive itself, or recovery in a disk set. Trying to find an ISO Tablet PC will be next to impossible.

Are you sure the Toshiba set does not give a restore without format option?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Christian:
Stupid question, but did you try the restore disk ?

I've found a number will allow you to 're-install without wiping' nowadays.

Alternatively, look for i386 folder on your HDD and run setup from there, unless you are totally screwed.

You can order a replacement disk for Windows by having an authorised MS System Builder go here:

For information on the Media Replacement program please visit: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=555374 and fill out the form at: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/mr/MediaReplacement.aspx.

FYI, you cannot order a replacement Tablet PC Edtion disk for the reasons I stated above. Each company customizes the Windows install based on that particular system and it's hardware.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 02:57 PM
Windows XP Tablet edition isn't available as retail but is available as Microsoft OEM version. As with all the big brands the restore disk is based off an image with all drivers and software pre-loaded. The actual Windows component will be the same.

FWIW the current, active, Windows XP Tablet Edition OEM SKU is K46-00105.
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/07/06 11:49 PM
i don't think you can do a soft install on windows xp.
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 12:00 AM
Whats currently wrong. Can you boot into safe mode?

Other wise do you have another computer around. If so you can boot your laptop with a Konopix CD and network the 2 computers and transpher all the files you want to another PC.

Probley not what you were looking for but its an idea
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 12:06 AM
or you can take the drive to any computer shop and have them get the data off...or you can invest in a $20 usb ide to usb converter and do it yourself. If the OS is that [censored], why would you wanna so a soft install, even if you could?
Posted By: BOFH Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 12:10 AM
Originally posted by TGO:
or you can take the drive to any computer shop and have them get the data off...or you can invest in a $20 usb ide to usb converter and do it yourself. If the OS is that [censored], why would you wanna so a soft install, even if you could?

Bingo,

Get the data and start over
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 01:01 AM
I sent him a link to download XP tablet pc edition iso.
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 01:08 AM
dude, you can't install xp OVER xp like you could in win9x. All you'll be able to do is install a second copy, which will give you 2 operating systems on one hard drive, which is a no no. Just backup your stuff and load the toshiba disk so you don't even have to worry about drivers.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 01:09 AM
dude, you can't install xp OVER xp like you could in win9x. All you'll be able to do is install a second copy, which will give you 2 operating systems on one hard drive, which is a no no. Just backup your stuff and load the toshiba disk so you don't even have to worry about drivers.

Wrong.

XP can be installed over itself again. It's called a Repair installation.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 02:22 AM
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

Wrong.

XP can be installed over itself again. It's called a Repair installation.

+1
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 03:25 AM
im sorry i didn't know there were people that even used that
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/08/06 05:41 PM

Makes a flaky machine even more flaky. Not worth it, IMHO. Rebuild, never repair.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy:

Makes a flaky machine even more flaky. Not worth it, IMHO. Rebuild, never repair.

I have a laptop that destabilized and wound up with some corrupted startup files due to an anti-virus prog. Used the repair function and it's back to normal now. No problems whatsoever.

Its possible that any XP disc will work if you're just planning on repairing. I used an XP Pro disc from my business machine to repair the XP Home on my laptop. Might be worth a shot if you've got an XP disc laying around.
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 03:41 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

I have a laptop that destabilized and wound up with some corrupted startup files due to an anti-virus prog. Used the repair function and it's back to normal now. No problems whatsoever.

there's always exceptions to the rule.

go ahead and do what you want...but it won't take much more effort to install a fresh copy of windows. but hey, if it jumps up and bites you in the @$$, don't say you weren't warned.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 03:53 AM
Another thing... I have heard on Notebookforums that the license on the bottom of the laptop isn't a license for a full version of Windows, but rather just a license for the "restore" the OEM has set up.

So downloading an ISO of the retail or equivalent, you could be treading water with Microsoft.

But a lot of people don't care about that anyway.

I got one of the lucky few Dell laptops that still had the "Create Windows CD" program, which made me a plain XP Home CD without all the Dell BS.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Another thing... I have heard on Notebookforums that the license on the bottom of the laptop isn't a license for a full version of Windows, but rather just a license for the "restore" the OEM has set up.

So downloading an ISO of the retail or equivalent, you could be treading water with Microsoft.

Your licence is for a copy of windows, regardless of installation media. The license is for OEM version of said copy (XP Home; XP Pro, whatever). The only time you ever need a new licence is if you change the motherboard.

Take everything you read in forums with a pinch of salt.
Posted By: TGO Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 02:45 PM
the code on the bottom of the machine will not work with just any windows cd.

the big manufacturers have large number of oem licenses, and are not interchangable with other copies.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 02:57 PM
the code on the bottom of the machine will not work with just any windows cd.

the big manufacturers have large number of oem licenses, and are not interchangable with other copies.

Just to clear this up ...

The OEM codes will work with a given type of Windows. For example Windows XP Pro , Windows XP Pro SP1a, Windows XP Pro SP2.
As a Microsoft Partner, I frequently repair/reinstall Windows XP on desktops & laptops. I have 3x CD's (XP Pro. Pro 1a and Pro SP2) which I have used for repair/reinstallation on brand name machines such as Dell, Compaq/HP and Acer. You might have trouble using a key from a previous service pack on a newer CD installation, although I have previously succesfully installed from a higher SP disk, although only a few times.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Need a Windows Disk.... - 06/09/06 03:43 PM
Yes.

Don't forget the difference in the codes between VML / OEM / Retail.
© CEG Archives