Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

this was my result:

that is from central Indiana (Comcast) to the chicago server via my wireless signal on my laptop. i was hoping to hit around 5mbps/500kbps. i think i will retry it on a hard wired computer later. so, post your results. how fast is the CEG community surfing

~Andrew

edit: here's the hard wired computer
I am actually posting this from my PC that I am remote accessing, so the test for the machine in my apt in NY I got

4750/293

on my parent's computer (here in FL) I got 6696/479

You might want to also check out some of the speed tests at DSLreports.

3804/510 why is my upload soo high?>
I am going to be getting a DSL connection tomorrow. And supposedly I am close enough to the main line that I can get speeds that they say they don't advertise. They normally say the top limit most people get is 5Megs....and that I should be able to get 8Megs. Can't wait to see what I actually get. at my friends house with cable it is
4700 up and 239 down

This is from a PSU branch campus dorm connection supplied through Comcast. Sort of suprised it's even as high as it is (D/L) because most of the time it's just about useless.

Originally posted by goose00:
why is my upload soo high?

x2 Also, suprised at my upload speed, wish I could pull some of that throughput and put it towards my D/L speed.

Any other good tests out there? Is this reliable, because I'd be curious to see what my home setup is with Vonage and three computers running.
Posted By: rouar Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 06:48 AM
2548 down / 236 up.

Our 3Mb cable line is fine for now; the only issue arises when my roommate torrents or is playing a WoW game that's more intense than usual. The other two roommates use the Internet for mere browsing much like I do (save for the occasional FTP transfer) and even with all four of us on at the same time there's no problems. If anything I'd rather have faster upload speeds.

Why were you disappointed with your results?
Why are my uploads so high?

Posted By: BrianW Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 08:00 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzz
hahaha I love my 6mb connection!!
New York: 5841/761

Remote terminal into my dads computer and ran the same test....broke the needle on the meter
Chicago server: 9394/922 on a 10mb connection
Download Speed: 9271 kbps (1158.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8357 kbps (1044.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Download Speed: 5593
Upload Speed: 708
1963 Down, 848 Up
Hmm... doesn't wanna do upload test...

15137, 1836

I have Verizon.
Hate you guys.

Download Speed: 2118 kbps (264.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 425 kbps (53.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Download Speed: 1078 kbps (134.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 667 kbps (83.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

That's on our company network. I'll have to try it out on our cable line at home.
Jesus Chri$t you guys suck! Then again, I guess that's what I get for living in a small town.

WiFi: 1449 down, 221 up

Since I'm only paying for 1meg, I'm happy. $30/month. I'd be curious to know what the monthly bill is on some of these 5-10 meg connections.
I'm also disappointed... I'm paying for a 3096/384 down/up cable connection at a rate of 89ΓΆβ??Β¬/month ($108.32/month at the moment)... and this is what I get.

When the TKS guys came to check it out, I showed them the tests I did with Broadband Reports, so they took me to Wie ist meine IP-Adresse and did a test that came out to ~3000 down.

Now look at it... and I have no idea what the ??? is in the BBR line quality test...

BBR Line Quality Test Results

Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with my internet here!
Last Result:
Download Speed: 6105 kbps (763.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 649 kbps (81.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

through WOW in columbus
at work:
Download Speed: 30771 kbps (3846.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13158 kbps (1644.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Well I hav no idea what speeds DSL should be at butumm, download of 656 kbps and upload of 520. Is that even close to what dsl should be? man im paying 50 bucks a month for my internet. Someone please tell me this is normal? If not im gonna tell my internet provider to shove it.
Posted By: BrianW Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 04:32 PM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
Well I hav no idea what speeds DSL should be at butumm, download of 656 kbps and upload of 520. Is that even close to what dsl should be? man im paying 50 bucks a month for my internet. Someone please tell me this is normal? If not im gonna tell my internet provider to shove it.

Loggerbomb, all of those are US servers, might play a factor in it.

Try HERE and let me know what you get. It uses CDN servers.
nope

almost same results!

655 download
529 upload

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Eazy E Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 04:46 PM
6171/358
Here at work:

Download: 7330 kbps
Upload: 9465 kbps

I took a screen shot of it but I am too lazy to host it right now.
sure ya did...we believe you
5876/644

$100/month WOW! 6 meg

It own3z BF2

-Tim
Posted By: BrianW Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 06:06 PM
nope

almost same results!

655 download
529 upload

You should definetly be calling your ISP!!
I can't believe some of the speeds you guys are getting! I am happy as a pig in filth with my 3meg connection, a 10meg connection must be sweet!! I can't wait until I move into the Dallas metro area, I am sure they have fast connections available!

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2897 kbps (362.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 236 kbps (29.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
my schools connection
Originally posted by BrianW:
nope

almost same results!

655 download
529 upload

so just so im informed when i do call them, what is considered "normal" for DSL?
5156 down
713 up

to the NY City server

3384 down
387 up

to the Los Angeles server

for the labtop on 11.0 mbps wireless

2530 down
1005 up

to NY City server

1127 down
407 up

to the Los Angeles Server
Originally posted by BrianW:
nope

almost same results!

655 download
529 upload

so just so im informed when i do call them, what is considered "normal" for DSL?

Depends on what you have... your download speeds look to be normal for a 768 down, but that upload looks way fast for that slow of download.

What is your ISP claiming you are paying for?
well i have no idea really, geuss id have to look into that. but cmon its 48 bucks and change! (CAD)
Posted By: ElKy Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/17/06 11:50 PM
ny:
Download Speed: 5631 kbps (703.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 359 kbps (44.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

WA:
Download Speed: 5639 kbps (704.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 356 kbps (44.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

and to think, comcast says i only have their 3meg service.
laptop at home to NY

3018 down
238 up

to LA

1567 down
230 up

parents have Charter at home and I have Cox at my apartment
Download Speed: 7296 kbps (912 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 351 kbps (43.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Considering I'm paying only for 384k, I'm happy

2095k download
118k upload
NY server

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6152 kbps (769 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 234 kbps (29.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

DC server

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6174 kbps (771.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 294 kbps (36.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Originally posted by BrApple:
and I have Cox at my apartment

Posted By: GS474 Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/18/06 06:21 PM

and in on a wireless connection (because im watching powerblock in the tv room and im to lazy to go into the office and hook up my cat5
Posted By: rouar Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/18/06 07:36 PM
What would the difference be between wireless or wired? Save for a tiny bit of interference, even 802.11b wouldn't be the bottleneck on your connection since it's 11Mb.
Originally posted by 98 SE:
What would the difference be between wireless or wired? Save for a tiny bit of interference, even 802.11b wouldn't be the bottleneck on your connection since it's 11Mb.

There's a SLIGHT overhead of encapsulating TCP packets to 802.11. So, theoretically a wired connection would yield a higher (only SLIGHTLY) rate over wireless.

--JamesT
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Jesus Chri$t you guys suck! Then again, I guess that's what I get for living in a small town.

Since I'm only paying for 1meg, I'm happy. $30/month. I'd be curious to know what the monthly bill is on some of these 5-10 meg connections.

Mine is

4739 Download
957 upload

I pay about 39.00 a month for my connection through Verizon Fios.
Originally posted by Woodencross:
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Mine is

4739 Download
957 upload

I pay about 39.00 a month for my connection through Verizon Fios.

just got my dsl up and running. pulled a 7000 down on mine to the chicago server when I am using the ethernet port only around 1700 when I use the wireless connection. qwest 5 meg service---$32/month
Posted By: 2000GT Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/19/06 07:59 AM
Last Result:
Download Speed: 4858 kbps (607.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 360 kbps (45 KB/sec transfer rate)

free internet :-)
More fuel for my COMCAST BlOWS campaign. I never get the speeds im told I get. and any time THEY test it... oh its fine you're getting "blazing fast speed!"

bastards. 249 upload is the damn reason I couldnt play any of my games online for awhile

If Cox ever upgrades the service in Vegas, my downspeed will get a LOT faster. They'll always be stingy with the upspeed I figure, unless I upgrade to a custom business account or something...

--T.J.
If any of you guys are disappointd in YOUR numbers ... eyeball THESE digits -

32 kbps download
118 kbps upload

So please have mercy on the dial-up peeps when posting GIANT out-of-control pictures , and re-size 'em a bit !
Posted By: ElKy Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/20/06 01:06 PM
i would stab myself in the face with a soldering iron before i tried to play online with those speeds!
Posted By: 95cgl Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/20/06 02:31 PM
i got 2988 / 69

Charter Communications 3MB Cable. In NC, I used Atlanta Server.

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
So please have mercy on the dial-up peeps when posting GIANT out-of-control pictures , and re-size 'em a bit !

I think of y'all... I post either a 640x480 or 800x600 pic linked to the full size 1600x1200+ pics...
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I think of y'all... I post either a 640x480 or 800x600 pic linked to the full size 1600x1200+ pics...

And I THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU for that consideration !!
dialup here...

Chicago
30 down/313 up

Washington
29 down/312 up

San Francisco
29 down/310 up

Posted By: TGO Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/21/06 04:23 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
15137, 1836

I have Verizon.

fios rules
well, after my disappointing results, i decided to call comcast and apparently i only had their 5mbps service. i went ahead and upgraded to their 8mbps (highest they offer in my area) for an extra 10 bucks a month. yay!

~Andrew
Posted By: Korfu Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/21/06 06:03 PM
my internet sucks.....

Posted By: ElKy Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/21/06 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
well, after my disappointing results, i decided to call comcast and apparently i only had their 5mbps service. i went ahead and upgraded to their 8mbps (highest they offer in my area) for an extra 10 bucks a month. yay!

~Andrew

what are you paying per month for your service?
with the new upgrade to 8mbps it is about $53/month

~Andrew
I just got 17556 down and 7851 up at work ...
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:
1963 Down, 848 Up

now that i'm back at school:

990 Down, 949 Up
Last Result:
Download Speed: 25319 kbps (3164.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4384 kbps (548 KB/sec transfer rate)

That is Chicago

LOL!

It's obvious who is at work!

The likely hood of any of your using your max on a single system is near Nil so about maybe 1MB, it's all wasted. Enjoy your delusions guys.

The systems you are hitting are likely on an OC-192 backbone, which at my last known use was only at 50% usage nation-wide.

-Andy
Originally posted by red99sesport:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 25319 kbps (3164.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4384 kbps (548 KB/sec transfer rate)

That is Chicago

Mine is from Miami University Resnet in Oxford, Ohio. It is really fast, much faster than the adlephia powerlink cable high-speed internet I have at home.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/25/06 06:22 AM
Holy F%&^!

Last Result:
Download Speed: 10162 kbps (1270.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 353 kbps (44.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

I just switched from Qwest DSL to Comcast Cable because I was scoring 250kbps DL speed with the craptastic DSL! Man, am I glad I made THAT switch

Damn you.

Download Speed: 6083 kbps (760.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 699 kbps (87.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

At least I am getting the 6Mb down I am paying for.
SDSU dorms

Download Speed: 4381 kbps (532.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 62 kbps (7.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thats a really weak Upload Speed, but I cant have it any other way
Posted By: 111R Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/25/06 08:42 AM
Download Speed: 1279 kbps (159.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 317 kbps (39.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

damn do i have the worst connection this side of a dial=up??

-=a
Do I win?

Originally posted by 111R:

-=a

Nope. Overall mine is worse.

1287/104 through the DC server.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by 111R:

-=a

Nope. Overall mine is worse.

1287/104 through the DC server.

Y'all still beat me! I hate my ~350/250Kbps cable that's supposed to be 3096/384!

Of course, when the cable guys come with their test equipment, there's "nothing wrong."

...Oh, and did I mention I'm paying over $100/month for it? Oh yeah, I did

Originally posted by b0mbrman:
Do I win?
[image]pic of 36/50kpbs[/image]

YES!

Damn, what are you using? My friend's unit got satellite internet hooked up in Iraq and I was using the Army's network in Kuwait... Both were quite a bit better than that!
Originally posted by b0mbrman:
Do I win?

holy man! thats lightning speed!
rumor mill is spinning...

comcast is already testing a new 16/1 home connection on the east coast in areas with access to FiOS (competitor). trying not to lose market share i guess. too bad i don't have FiOS here in central indiana (it is in fort wayne though).

~Andrew
Posted By: TGO Re: Internet speed test...rather disappointed - 03/25/06 07:30 PM
I've talked to people who work for both Roadrunner, and Verizon. I've heard nothing about roadrunner upgrading their service to compete with verizon's fios. Though, i'm sure they're going to have to soon. It's damn close to $50 a month for roadrunner here now, and verizon's fios is $10 cheaper and 5 times faster on download. Oh, and about 10 times faster with uploads. The fastest roadrunner speeds i've seen are around 5megabits, and those are people who were having problems with their connection so the cable company came out and gave them some sort of booster.
© CEG Archives