Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GilNewball For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 04:25 AM
The FAA has its publications out for free! You can get the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, and other publications for free from this page (PDF format).

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/

AND, you can also download for free the latest approach charts from this page.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Have fun, and Happy Flying!

<And please, no flames. I am putting this out to help others. Go ahead, and read some of these publications. I recommend these to anyone even thinking about going for a flight.>
Posted By: Davo Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:04 AM
Awesome. I was just about to get in my plane and go for a quick fly without those manuals. Thanks for posting them, since I would have been screwed without them once I got in the air.
Posted By: Matty K Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Davo:
Awesome. I was just about to get in my plane and go for a quick fly without those manuals. Thanks for posting them, since I would have been screwed without them once I got in the air.

That was, of course, totally necessary. FAR more necessary than Gil's post, which is actually helpful to some.
Posted By: Davo Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Matty K:
That was, of course, totally necessary. FAR more necessary than Gil's post,

I agree. Because we do need some humor directed at the idea that anyone qualified to fly an airplane would just now be discovering that these things are available the the public.

Davo, I defend you and your views all the time, but this time I really gotta say to you "go away," from this thread; you're being a d!ck here...
Originally posted by Matty K:
That was, of course, totally necessary. FAR more necessary than Gil's post,

I agree. Because we do need some humor directed at the idea that anyone qualified to fly an airplane would just now be discovering that these things are available the the public.

Actually Davo, while the things he linked to are available to the public on a ready basis, the FAA chooses to charge a butt-load for them and if they are being provided free of charge, I would thank someone that posts the info.
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:30 AM
This thread is fine to continue. However,do not reply to, or reference, Davo any more in this thread.

Posted By: loggerbomb Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:35 AM
id say thanks but ive never been in a plane, let alone flew one!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:36 AM
There's always gotta be a handful of people on every forum that never talks about what the forum is for, but something completely off topic.

airplanes & GTO's come to mind here at CEG.

Mark
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
There's always gotta be a handful of people on every forum that never talks about what the forum is for, but something completely off topic.

airplanes & GTO's come to mind here at CEG.

Mark

And Common Interests happens to be defined as: Common interests among CEG members -- Cars, computers, careers, etc. For topics not directly Contour/Mystique related. Some topics are not appropriate and will be removed.

While GTO's and airplanes are, or may be, 'over discussed' they are not in-appropriate.
Posted By: JB1 Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 05:54 AM
i for one like knowledge so even though i will very likely never need this information i am downloading it for future reading. thanks
Originally posted by JB1:
i for one like knowledge so even though i will very likely never need this information i am downloading it for future reading. thanks

Good point, for those in aviation though, each one of those books will usually run you about $30.
It is funny, I am in the ATC industry, and my co-worker was downloading documents for work from that naco site just yesterday.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 03:28 PM
It sure beats buying approach plates from Jeppesen every month.

I was just at Borders yesterday (and surprisingly, they carry some of these books), and total for only a few of them would have been well over $100. So, for you current pilots and prospective pilots as well, I would recommend downloading these books. I know of several instructors telling their students to buy these books (partly because they do not know about this service). However, since they are "advisory circulars", they are available free of charge (in a specific format, in this case PDF). I'm sure others here will benefit from these services. AND, it will allow them to save the green and use it for something else, like $4+ 100LL fuel.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 03:38 PM
Funny I was just thinking about checking a Ford Contour site for flying manuals. And here they are. Thanks!
Originally posted by todras:
Funny I was just thinking about checking a Ford Contour site for flying manuals. And here they are. Thanks!

Yeah, its amazing what you can find in the Common Interests section of a car site?
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: For those pilots out there... - 02/17/06 10:29 PM
I'll also give you a thanks for this "seemingly" pointless post. I have an aviation aptitude test to take for the Marines, and am currently gathering as many resources as I can for it. I've come across the FAA's book, but didn't want to spend the money, as there are other free sources. This works out quite well for me! Thanks ballz!
© CEG Archives