Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SpliceVW Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 03:24 PM
Well, its time for my girlfriend to look at getting a new (used) car. She loves the Cougar V6 (manual, of course) but I know it shares alot with the Contour. Needless to say, I'm a little worried seeing as how I had two 2.5 Duratec engines from my SVT die on me. Are the problems mostly only for SVTs or all Duratecs? Also, were any of the *other* problems fixed for '01+?

Also, if anyone else has any good suggestions for a low (<50k) mileage used car in the 8-12k range? Must be manual, must not be japanese or korean, must be decently reliable. She doesn't drive the hell out of her cars or even drive "sporty" like I do, but she does like pretty cars. Other cars we've considered were the Saturn SL2 and the Ford ZX2.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 03:31 PM
My brothers 01 MTX has been a great runner. I think his only issue was the POS DPFE sensor.

Edit-It would be nice to get her a car you already know. That's part of the reason my bro got his. I did the tranny cocktail, Magnecore wires/Autolite's and Stazi brakes. Just routine maintenance you know. He probably has 70k on it by now.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 03:34 PM
stay away from the early model Cougars.
01+ have less problems than the earlier models (plus they just look sexier, IMO)
Alternator and fuel pump issues are the biggest on people's lists on www.fastcougar.com/forums

my 01 has had zero problems since I bought it brand new.

Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 05:06 PM
Ask Zum about her Cougar experiences.
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 05:08 PM
I was at one time looking at a cougar to, it comes down to what frenchblueC2, look through the forums and try to find a 01+ cougar

on a side note my ZX2 is over all nice veichle but compared to the cougar

Acceleration I find to be close. but the cougar pulls ahead by a small bit
- the zx2 may have less horse power and torque but its lighter by 549lb, I believe the cougar weight:power ratio runs 1:17 while the zx2 runs 1:18 (these horse power ratings are at the crank)

-size, the zx2 is smaller thats all that needs to be said

-Zx2 seats lack latteral support witch causes you to slide in corners while the cougar hugs you quite nicely. after market seats sujested if going to be taking corners fast

-The the zx2 is a nice handler, on par if not better then a tour/cougar

-I have never pulled less then 30 mpg on the ZX2

-ZX2 can be had cheaply with low miles ($6000 with 19000 miles) of course this is a base model.
- Ztech takes nicely to mods, not say that the duratec doesn't eitehr

Basically the Cougar is more of a car, but the zx2 is a nice sub if need be.

Has she looked into a FSVT or a ZX3 perhaps.
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 05:54 PM
All those things would be great for me, but you gotta think like a girl.. she's not going to be racing, not going to be "taking corners".. which one is prettier and which one would be more reliable?

On the Focus: I bought my FSVT brand new, I don't think I would ever buy a used Focus because of the bad reliability reputation. Plus, what kinda nerds would we be if we had matching cars!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 05:59 PM
I'd say a v6 mtx cougar would do more than pull ahead by a small bit. Not gonna kill it, but still better than a small bit.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:01 PM
Foci don't have bad reliability. First year had a buncha recalls, that's it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I'd say a v6 mtx cougar would do more than pull ahead by a small bit. Not gonna kill it, but still better than a small bit.

Agreed. Buddy even had an S/R. No dice on beating or getting close to worry about against my lowly 2.5 SE when it was close to stock. Disliked all the ZX2's I've been in except his S/R. His S/R shifted like total arse with the B&M and Centerforce clutch. A girl I used to work w/ was looking for a new car. Went with her to test drive some ZX2's. All were crap. Rattles, falling off parts, etc. I'd check a ZX3 or Cougar before a ZX2.
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:15 PM

Not what I hear from my Focus message board!
Posted By: SAV Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:27 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Went with her to test drive some ZX2's. All were crap. Rattles, falling off parts, etc.

No they aren't bahn-stormers by any means, but a ZX2 can be a nice car if you take care of it.

-SAV
Posted By: elraido Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SpliceVW:
Must be manual, must not be japanese or korean, must be decently reliable.

If you want a decently reliable car, why not get japanese?
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 06:53 PM
Because we both hate with a passion Japanese cars. Don't argue with me about that. Waste of time, I'm rockheaded.
Posted By: EternalOne Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 07:06 PM
Definately stick with an 01+ Cougar. I've got a 99, and I've had the sunroof issue, and the alternator replaced, plus the fuel pump is crappin out on me (but I've got a nice replacement in the garage).

If she doesn't beat the crap out of the Cougar, it will stand up fine, mine had 100k miles when my first problem occured, so its not that bad. =)

E1
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 07:15 PM
Get a V6 Mustang.

Cougar has a better interior and is much more refined.

Mustang gets you reliability from that ancient pushrod 3.8L and trans. Cheap insurance as well.
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 07:20 PM
We were thinking about a Mustang but it just feels *wrong* to buy a V6 Mustang.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 07:47 PM
Because it is wrong.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 09:14 PM

Not what I hear from my Focus message board!

Hmm. People I know don't have problems with em and consumer reports named them the (or one of the) most reliable cars. Maybe those message board folk just don't take care of em right, that makes any car seem like crap.
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 09:20 PM
Last Consumers Reports I got had the Focus on the list of "Used Cars to Avoid".....
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 10:33 PM
Last Consumers Reports I got had the Focus on the list of "Used Cars to Avoid".....

My wife had a 2000 SE (Zetec) with 5-spd and it is a used car to avoid.
Posted By: COUGAR99 Re: Cougar reliability? - 02/22/05 11:08 PM
First off the Returnless cougars are the ones with a better chance of fuel pump failure. The return cougars pumps didn't have as much of a problem. Alternator's are common failure on contours/cougars alike.

It was kind of hit or miss with relibility. Mine was built 5/98 and I've had no problems at all with it. Other friends of mine have had nothing but problems. It really depends. Overall though I think it's a pretty reliable car.

As with any car you buy try to make sure it wasn't abused and it will love you back .
© CEG Archives