Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bigerik Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 01:13 PM
Just wondering what snow tires you all have used. Looking at doing a set of 185-70-14's to save my SE wheels.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Erik
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 03:08 PM
Blizzak WS-50 is what I use on both Contours and I love them.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 03:28 PM
The Blizzak's are very highly rated by just about everyone that I know.

Personally I've used Goodyear Ultra-Grip ICE and I'm getting Michelin X-ICE this year. This is purely because they perform how I like and are about $50 - $70 cheaper per tire.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 07:55 PM
If it helps, I have heard that the X-Ice won the Consumer Reports comparo this year.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
If it helps, I have heard that the X-Ice won the Consumer Reports comparo this year.

I've read nothing but good things about the X-Ice, which is why I'm going to give them a try. Maybe next year when the Goodyears are done I'll try the Blizzak's ... however I have strangely enough heard lots of very good reviews about CT's snow tires ... might give them a shot and see.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 09:18 PM
im trying the hankook icebear this year cause i have a really good deal on it... seem to really worth it
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Christian:
I've read nothing but good things about the X-Ice, which is why I'm going to give them a try. Maybe next year when the Goodyears are done I'll try the Blizzak's ... however I have strangely enough heard lots of very good reviews about CT's snow tires ... might give them a shot and see.

I had them for one car, and they did OK. I used Alpins on my T-Bird Supercoupe, and they did OK, given the torque that they were battling.

That said, at a Motorsport Club of Ottawa winter driving school, I rode in a Mercedes with the Goodyear Ultragrips. They were astounding. If the X-ice is better, Wow!
Posted By: LBVSVT_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 10:07 PM
Although I haven't yet put them on the car, I got Dunlop Wintersport M3's - rated #1 at tirerack.com and good for sport sedans that normally have V-rated tires.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 10:58 PM
I just got some 205/60/15 Dayton Winterforce snow tires and since it hasn't snowed yet,I can't really rate how good they are,but on dry & wet pavement they are horrible! In the wet,they're like slicks,massive understeer and sliding. In the dry,they don't like cornering at anything more than 30kmh and on the highway,I get blown all over the road.

They're a smooth comfortable ride though,and they're quiet. But they look like truck tires,but they seem like they're going to be real good in the snow because they're real beefy,and that's exactly what I need up where I live. We'll see how they hold up.
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Christian:
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:

I've read nothing but good things about the X-Ice, which is why I'm going to give them a try.

Costco WAS the cheapest place in Canada (that I could find anyways) for these when I got them (Nov 5, they had an instant rebate). Plus nitrogen is free with new tires
Posted By: Wulfen Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/09/05 11:51 PM
Me I'm using a generic brand of goodyear. I use SNOWMARK 185/70R14.
~350$ all include

They work very well in snow
Posted By: GapBoyPCS_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/10/05 12:16 AM
I just bought Nokian RSi's for the Focus.
Posted By: Got_Spray Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/10/05 03:26 AM
I use Toyo snows they have walnut shells crushed up in the rubber.
Posted By: Rdkill Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/11/05 05:15 PM
I've used Blizzaks. Those things were like having suction cups on the road. I never lost traction once compared to all teh others sliding and skidding all over.

Pretty expensive though but good.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/13/05 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Got_Spray:

that's nuts.
Posted By: GapBoyPCS_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/13/05 03:38 PM

My canola oil and silica beat out your walnuts
Posted By: Got_Spray Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/13/05 04:58 PM
Why post when you don't have anything intellegent to say
Posted By: GapBoyPCS_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/13/05 07:56 PM

Only to liven up the forum.

Besides, it's looking like a common trend that tire manufacturers are using natural products. In your case, Toyo is touting walnut shells as the next breakthrough in winter traction. Nokian is using canola oil and silica, and also brags about being a high-aromatic oil free tire (along with their trademark sipes and such).

As long as it's got the severe service emblem (mountain snowflake), that's all that counts really.
Posted By: Got_Spray Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/13/05 10:32 PM
Buy what you want but 90% of snows last 1 maybe 2 seasons. I've had my Toyos for 4 seasons!
Posted By: bozman_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/14/05 12:18 AM
I love my Toyo garrite HT they are the best the ones that have the walnut shell's crushed into them i have had them for 4 year's now and i drive alot they are great and i was a blizzak guy before i swear by these now
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/14/05 01:48 AM
Buy what you want but 90% of snows last 1 maybe 2 seasons. I've had my Toyos for 4 seasons!

1 season or maybe 2

I have never known anyone to go through a snow tire in only one season ... even when pushing 1,100km a week on average! My old 15" snows are on their third season with 8/32s and look fine.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/15/05 12:30 AM

Do you have any idea how dead CEG would be?
Posted By: Got_Spray Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/15/05 02:06 AM
I run the Toyo Observe its just 1 model newer. It's like driving on dry pavement in freezing rain. I love'em.
Posted By: Stephen Fischer_dup1 Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/15/05 05:24 PM
I have the Michelin Nordic Icetrac and swear by them. I am on my 5th season with these. This may or may not be the last season for them but the still have lots of tread wear left. In slush on the highway they are awesome, hold the road and no fishtailing. I am very happy with them and not afraid to go out in any kind of weather.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Snow tire recommendations - 11/15/05 11:25 PM
CT nordic are made by michelin ? my first tires were the nordic wintertrac and i spend my most dangerous winter yet...
© CEG Archives