Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 12:49 AM
I ended up taking my car into Modular Madness for my final tuning. Since they've been sooooo swamped, I wasn't able to rent any time.... but they would take it in if they tuned it.

I got a call this afternoon to let me know that at 10 psi, my car was hitting 350HP/360TQ with only 10* total spark on 91 octane. Tomorrow Heath will be getting the spark to 17-20* and running it up to 12 psi for the street tune. My "race" tune(coughdynoqueentunecough) will run up to 14 psi and more timing for the 103 octane.

Proof will be in-hand tomorrow
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 01:03 AM
Oh baby! What was used for tuning!? Xcal with PRP!?
Posted By: Swazo Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 01:08 AM
Close, I have the Raptor datalogger and chip burner version of the PRP.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 01:51 AM
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
I ended up taking my car into Modular Madness for my final tuning. Since they've been sooooo swamped, I wasn't able to rent any time.... but they would take it in if they tuned it.

I got a call this afternoon to let me know that at 10 psi, my car was hitting 350HP/360TQ with only 10* total spark on 91 octane. Tomorrow Heath will be getting the spark to 17-20* and running it up to 12 psi for the street tune. My "race" tune(coughdynoqueentunecough) will run up to 14 psi and more timing for the 103 octane.

couldn't hold out could ya?lol
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 02:07 AM

So this is similar to my engine right, other than your pistons? I'm asking because I know you are on stock rods and I was essentially hitting the same horsepower at the same boost levels.

it is so awesome to have confirmation and see good power numbers at relatively safe boost levels....on stock blocks.
<doing the I told 'em So dance> .... <with money still in the pocket>
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 03:25 AM
For the record, Heath is the guy that managed 230whp on a 5 cylinder 2.5L Duratec ... sign of a great tuner if you ask me

BTW, The engine was blown when he got to it (I repeat, he had nothing to do with blowing the engine). The previous owner taked him into a tune just to get it running so it didn't show up DOA at my house.

Good luck with the tune!
Posted By: stilov Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 04:11 AM
Heath will be doing mine as well...I hope to get it it for a base tune early next week.
Posted By: Swazo Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 05:21 AM
War,
I do have a fair bit of head work, no secondaries, 3L UIM, etc. But they're about the same more or less. Note we're hitting about 70 F in SLC, which is about where you were at months ago with you last tune. I'll get some different dyno runs from more popular vehicles like Terminators or Lightnings for reference sake to show if this Mustang dyno is a ringer or not
Either way, yes this is a route more should follow rather than pay out the nose for the Uber turbo kit from ADC.... IMO. Luckily you showed CEG and other sites a good path I still want the title for stock internal DIY'er

Originally posted by fastcougar:
For the record, Heath is the guy that managed 230whp on a 5 cylinder 2.5L Duratec ... sign of a great tuner if you ask me

BTW, The engine was blown when he got to it (I repeat, he had nothing to do with blowing the engine). The previous owner taked him into a tune just to get it running so it didn't show up DOA at my house.

Good luck with the tune!

Thanks! Heath is a very dedicated guy, I'd gladly have him tool around with my car.... and that says something! He's the only person other than myself that has driven my car to date

Like Stilov said, he's taking his car into Heath to get his car tuned @ 3.5psi (should be the same as me, since we have the same IC) and on the same dyno. So here we have 2 DIY'er turbo guys with somewhat different setups that will be running the same amount of boost and on the same dyno.
Basic similarities:
Tumble port 3L
Aluminum 3L UIM
Same turbo IIRC
Same IC system for the most part

Basic Differences:
He has forged pistons, I have SP hyp. pistons
He has secondaries, I do not
He has 3L cams, I have SVT's

I'll leave it at that, and let the comparison take place when the time comes.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 05:58 AM
Excellent! You've really done A LOT with that car and it's easy to tell you have the patience to pay attention to detail. It's really paying off.
Posted By: Swazo Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 02:03 PM
The sad part is that it has '03 tags on it Needless to say, it was down for a bit and I had time to do what I wanted
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/20/06 02:11 PM
You are going to start pounding on him around 4,500 RPM all the way through redline while his will power will start to fall on it's face starting around 5,500 RPM ... no contest ... you should make at the very least 50 PEAK hp & tq, but below say 4,000 RPMs, he will own you on torque ... at least that's my wager
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/21/06 01:31 AM
War,
I do have a fair bit of head work, no secondaries, 3L UIM, etc. But they're about the same more or less. Note we're hitting about 70 F in SLC, which is about where you were at months ago with you last tune. I'll get some different dyno runs from more popular vehicles like Terminators or Lightnings for reference sake to show if this Mustang dyno is a ringer or not
Either way, yes this is a route more should follow rather than pay out the nose for the Uber turbo kit from ADC.... IMO. Luckily you showed CEG and other sites a good path I still want the title for stock internal DIY'er

Good luck with the tune!

Thanks! Heath is a very dedicated guy, I'd gladly have him tool around with my car.... and that says something! He's the only person other than myself that has driven my car to date

Like Stilov said, he's taking his car into Heath to get his car tuned @ 3.5psi (should be the same as me, since we have the same IC) and on the same dyno. So here we have 2 DIY'er turbo guys with somewhat different setups that will be running the same amount of boost and on the same dyno.
Basic similarities:
Tumble port 3L
Aluminum 3L UIM
Same turbo IIRC
Same IC system for the most part

Basic Differences:
He has forged pistons, I have SP hyp. pistons
He has secondaries, I do not
He has 3L cams, I have SVT's

I'll leave it at that, and let the comparison take place when the time comes.

Sounds good. Oh, and thanks for the props.
You can add my setup to the comparison, at the time of the dyno I had stock pistons (similar to SP hyp. pistons) stock ported SVT UIM and LIM with secondaries, 70mm tb and moderate porting.

As far as the record on stock internals, you have a competition on your hands.

I figured out why the boost controller on my former car wouldn't allow more than arount 10psi on those last dyno runs, and it was the wastegate spring being too weak at 3.5psi and just exhaust pressure was forcing it open. So I recommended to Ray that he correct the problem and put the 6 (sometimes called a seven pound spring but it is actually closer to 6 pound) psi spring back into the wastegate.

So Ray may have something to say about who holds the records.... I wonder if it will be you or him that holds the record by the end of this summer.
Posted By: stilov Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/21/06 03:54 AM
we'll see.
Posted By: Swazo Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/21/06 10:22 PM
You are going to start pounding on him around 4,500 RPM all the way through redline while his will power will start to fall on it's face starting around 5,500 RPM ... no contest ... you should make at the very least 50 PEAK hp & tq, but below say 4,000 RPMs, he will own you on torque ... at least that's my wager

One thing to keep in mind is that my first dyno run was a few days before X-mas and it was witches nipple cold outside, which totally helped me out. I don't know if I'd have Stilov by 50hp (we're talking @ 3.5 psi.... right?) though.

When his car is tuned and he can crank the boost way past my 14 psi limit, he'll hand me my ass on the dyno (keyword: dyno )

I didn't want to cross post, but check the dyno forum for my latest run.

Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: My tune is just about done..... - 04/22/06 12:40 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that my first dyno run was a few days before X-mas and it was witches nipple cold outside, which totally helped me out. I don't know if I'd have Stilov by 50hp (we're talking @ 3.5 psi.... right?) though.

When his car is tuned and he can crank the boost way past my 14 psi limit, he'll hand me my ass on the dyno (keyword: dyno )

I didn't want to cross post, but check the dyno forum for my latest run.

No, I meant to compare apples to apples as far as boost is concerned ... say your 14psi to his 14psi. You can keep boosting the hell out of the car, but if the cams are giving up, all he is going to get is more and more low/mid range torque, which these cars has a hard enough time handeling now as it is.
© CEG Archives