Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bradSVT Where to go from here? - 04/14/06 07:42 PM
Trying to figure out what to do now with my 3.0L swap;
Here are my options:

Keep the â??00 motor w/ 11k on it; get the new heads from Buckshot, new gaskets.
$538 (Engine)
$150-200 (Heads)
$100 (Gaskets)

Or:

Get a â??04 Taurus motor; 4k on it
$750 (Engine Shipped)

It will be a 3.0L swap with SVT Cams and port matched UIM/LIM. I hoped to try to the LIM matching with the LIM on the block.

Just looking for advice like always, Thanks!
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/14/06 08:14 PM
Get the heads, gaskets & replace the damn rod bearings while you are at it ... I don't care if the engine has 100 miles on it ... $35 + rod bolts and cheap insurance!
Posted By: green1999csvt Re: Where to go from here? - 04/14/06 09:24 PM
Either do the Hybrid with SVT heads with your 2000 block, or buy the 3.0 and drop it in. I would do this. Keep your bearings, don't mess with match porting heads.

Doesn't match porting heads require major build up of welded in metal and then porting? Lots of work, not worth it if you are not a really hard core racer. If you are hard core, and like lots of work, gor for it!
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/14/06 09:39 PM
Originally posted by green1999csvt:
Either do the Hybrid with SVT heads with your 2000 block, or buy the 3.0 and drop it in. I would do this. Keep your bearings, don't mess with match porting heads.

Doesn't match porting heads require major build up of welded in metal and then porting? Lots of work, not worth it if you are not a really hard core racer. If you are hard core, and like lots of work, gor for it!

And, when you spin a bearing due to oil starvation from using your SVT heads, you can then buy the 2004 Escape block ... enjoy!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/15/06 12:03 AM
Come on, it isn't as bad as all that.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/15/06 12:34 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Come on, it isn't as bad as all that.

No, probably not, but why take the chance when the alternative is nearly as cheap. I'm sure you can work out a deal with Buckshot to port match the heads to the LIM for a few more $$. It's litterally a 4-6 hour job for someone that knows what they are doing.
Posted By: green1999csvt Re: Where to go from here? - 04/15/06 01:50 AM
So let's see, 4 to 6 hours at $50 to $75 per hour, guys, most people don't want to sink that much money into this endevor. They just got screwed by their engine spinnig a bearing, they want to get on the street ASAP, except for those few lost souls who want to drive a $10,000 Contour.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Where to go from here? Questions Posted - 04/15/06 03:25 AM
Thanks for the responses and all the help so far through this project.

I think I will go with keeping this â??00 engine and getting the new heads from Buckshot. Also get the new rod bearings since itâ??s suggested and will be not that much extra work since I will be in the vicinity.

I have some questions I want to clarify for my My 3.0L w/ SVT cams and matched UIM/LIM Project:

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine?

2) The fuel rail will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?

3) I am using the 3.0L LIM and porting that instead of using the SVT LIM?

4) I am using the SVT timing chain and the 3.0L timing cover?

5) Will I have to optimize my TB?

Thanks in advance for the help. I have done the searching but as we are all human I could have missed the answer to one of my questions. Most of the questions on here have just become confusing aspects of this swap to me.

Go ahead and â??flame meâ? if you must.
Originally posted by bradSVT:

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine?
yes
2) The fuel rail will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?
yes
3) I am using the 3.0L LIM and porting that instead of using the SVT LIM?
a 3.0L lower is same diameter as an svt, port if you want
nope 2.5 timing chain and cover both, your tensioners would come out in the wrong place
only for more throttle respone and maybe a couple hp, but no not required

this is assuming he's porting the 3L heads to accept your twin port intakes
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Where to go from here? Questions Posted - 04/15/06 03:55 PM
correct
Posted By: bradSVT Revised Questions Posted - 04/16/06 05:32 PM

I think I will go with keeping this â??00 engine and getting the new heads from Buckshot. Also get the new rod bearings since itâ??s suggested and will be not that much extra work since I will be in the vicinity.

I have some questions I want to clarify for my My 3.0L w/ SVT cams and matched SVT UIM/LIM Project:

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?

3) Deleted

Thanks in advance for the help. I have done the searching but as we are all human I could have missed the answer to one of my questions. Most of the questions on here have just become confusing aspects of this swap to me.

I revised some of the questions and since I start to take apart the engine figured out a couple others. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: muntus Re: Revised Questions Posted - 04/16/06 06:56 PM

I have some questions I want to clarify for my My 3.0L w/ SVT cams and matched SVT UIM/LIM Project:

1) I can use the water pump from my 2.5 engine to put onto my new heads from a â??01 engine? Yes, but get a new water pump(for the Contour) while you're at it.

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM? The fuel rail is fine, you just have to modify your heads to accept the Contour LIM.

3) Deleted

4) I am using the SVT timing chain and the 3.0L timing cover? Use the Contour valve covers and the Contour timing chain cover.

5) Will I have to optimize my SVT TB? Only for fun, but it is not required for the swap. You will use your SVT throttle body, MAF, injectors, and PCM.

Those are the answers that seem correct to me, but then again, I've been ignorant before.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Revised Questions Posted - 04/16/06 06:57 PM

2) The fuel rail from the SVT will not need to be modified since I am using the SVT UIM?

3) Deleted

I revised some of the questions and since I start to take apart the engine figured out a couple others. If you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1) Yes

2)Yes, you can use the SVT fuel rail. Perhaps I should say you will find the SVT fuel rail to be the most appropriate and best fit.

4) No, you will need to use a timing cover that put the sensors in the corrcct position. The SVT will match. The 3.0 might or might not depending on what kind of car it originally came on.

5) No, but the larger engine would benefit from either optimizing or from a larger one. A 65 mm throttle body would have aproximatly 20% more flow, the same increase as the displacement from 2.5 to 3.0.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Revised Questions Posted - 04/16/06 07:10 PM
Thank you guys for the help. I am stripping the engine down today
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/17/06 07:39 PM
So let's see, 4 to 6 hours at $50 to $75 per hour, guys, most people don't want to sink that much money into this endevor. They just got screwed by their engine spinnig a bearing, they want to get on the street ASAP, except for those few lost souls who want to drive a $10,000 Contour.

Most people doing a 3L swap are doing it themselves. Those that don't do their own work in the first place have a very hard time either getting a shop smart enough or even willing to complete the swap, or are using one of the Contour specific shops or member's (Buckshot, Haines, Stazi/etc.).

Time vs. money vs. longevity should be weighed heavily towards getting the new bearings, if for nothing else to check the oil passages for loose sand. Every 'yard engine should be treated as "unknown" and torn down to bare parts. Especially the rings/pistons, unless you want sludge for oil.

People that don't take the time to learn to do their own swap should be ashamed.
Posted By: DanMyers Re: Where to go from here? - 04/17/06 07:42 PM
And what about people who've read countless hours and are just waiting for the money to do it, but don't have an engine stand and don't trust themselves completely so they have their uncle who was a Ford mechanic for 41 years help them? Should they be ashamed too?
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Where to go from here? - 04/18/06 01:01 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:

And, when you spin a bearing due to oil starvation from using your SVT heads, you can then buy the 2004 Escape block ... enjoy!

Just bringing up a few counter points, how many hybrids have had spun bearings so far? I haven't heard of any. The ones I HAVE heard of are full 3L's that didnt have the bearings replaced with clevites, yes, a full 3L WITH THE EXTRA DRAINBACKS, one in particular had like only 30k miles or less on the bearings yet still spun a bearing. The extra oil drainbacks are nice, but its not so life-and-death black-and-white as your post makes it seem.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/18/06 02:55 PM
Built 7 full 3L SVT's with 3L intakes so far without any troubles. All are running perfectly still on stock bearings.

Built 3 SVT's with ported oval port heads to match SVT intakes.

Built 1 hybrid with clevites.

Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/18/06 04:06 PM
All of the above engines are running without a hitch.

(ran out of time to edit post above)
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Where to go from here? - 04/18/06 04:32 PM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by fastcougar:

Just bringing up a few counter points, how many hybrids have had spun bearings so far? I haven't heard of any. The ones I HAVE heard of are full 3L's that didnt have the bearings replaced with clevites, yes, a full 3L WITH THE EXTRA DRAINBACKS, one in particular had like only 30k miles or less on the bearings yet still spun a bearing. The extra oil drainbacks are nice, but its not so life-and-death black-and-white as your post makes it seem.

That's why it's called insurance ... anyone spin a clevite yet? I was replying mostly to the post that was quoted and the bold phrases ... combined, there are two possible problems down that road. I have nothing against hybrid builds, but if I had the choice, I would go full 3L. Since he already has the block & access to cheap heads, why not? It's much better than wasting more time/energy getting the engine back to the yard that lied to him.
© CEG Archives