Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: APT The best tires - by Luke - 03/19/02 05:03 PM
I found this post by Luke @ the \'Rack on the IS300 forums . I think Luke wouldn't mind me posting this information as he doesn't get a chance to hit all the foums too often.

"We have broken down tires into several catagories and here is a short list of what I have experienced in our
testing. Now remember, we do not have every single tire line in the world so, if your particular favorite is
not in this list it is probably because we haven't tested it. Also, this is my take on the testing that I have
completed here at The Tire Rack on our test track.

Maximum Performance:
These are the absolute best performing tires on the market. Great steering response and wet/dry traction (not
for use inthe snow!!!) which is at home on the track.

1.)S-03 Pole Position
2.)Pilot Sport
3.)S-02 Pole Position (discontinued)
4.)AVS Sport
5.)P-Zero Rosso

There is 1 glaring omission in this list. It is the BFG G-Force T/A KD. The reason for this tire not being on
the list is because of its lack of versatility. It is the best performing tire in the dry but, is almost scary
in the wet.

Ultra High Performance:
A step down form the Max tires but, still exceptional performance which fits most application for a street tire
that can be
driven very aggressivley.

1.) Firehawk SZ50 EP
2.) Potenza RE730's (extreme noise issues)
3.) A520
4.) G-Force KDW
5.) Sport 8000
6.) HTR Z II

3-6 are all very close in performance levels.
The noise issues of the 730's are mostly related
to larger/heavier cars with rear wheel drive.

Ultra High Performance All Season
Performance tires which are capable of going through the snow.

1.) Sport 5000
2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
3.) AVS DB (quietest tire I have ever driven)
4.) BFG G-Force KDWS
5.) P7000 Super Sport

Budget Performance Tires
Summer performance with a cost effective tire when your budget is a concern. (based on performance not cost)

1.) Sumitomo HTR Z II
2.) Sumitomo HTR Z
3.) Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 (best ride quality in this group)
4.) Yokohama AVS Intermediate

I hope this helps you in your tire selections

Thanks, Luke@tirerack
800-428-8355 ext. 362"
Posted By: British Banger Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 07:58 AM
Interesting find, good searching!

James
Posted By: Must Ride Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 07:22 PM
Awesome find...very informative THX!!!
Posted By: Antonio Wright Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 07:48 PM
Good find APT!! Maybe the mods will make this a sticky, so all the "What are the best tires??" questions can stop..

-Antonio
Posted By: Gator VR4 Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
So all the "What are the best tires??" questions can stop..

-Antonio
Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep..

That is your alarm clock, because you must be dreaming. Maybe everyone will also stop asking all the other questions that annoy the living piss out of us.

"What is a good intake?"
"What is a good exhaust?"
"What is the throttle hang fix?"
"What wheels will fit my car?"

And so on, and so forth....
Posted By: 98riceater Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 08:40 PM
so the maxium performance tires would be the best for auto-x right?
Posted By: Square Root Guy Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 08:51 PM
Maximum performance tires probably would be good for AutoX, but only if you're not concerned about price smile . It seems many people use the budget performance tires for Autox, since they're cheap, ie falken azenis, kumho ecsta, etc.. You won't be out a ton of cash (or at least as much).
Posted By: Gator VR4 Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 09:02 PM
Azenis are far from budget performance tires. Top of the line if you ask most auto-x'ers...
Posted By: Square Root Guy Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/01/02 09:33 PM
Eh, compare the prices between the falkens and Pilot Sports, S-03s, G-Force KDs in the same size :p . I'm not saying they suck, just that they're cheaper than the "Maximum Performance" tires listed.
Posted By: Luke@tirerack Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/03/02 02:24 PM
I thought I posted this here awhile ago .....
Posted By: BeachBum Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/03/02 03:41 PM
Maybe it's time for an Updated List.
Posted By: mangler Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/04/02 06:09 AM
I have to agree with the KUMHOs having a nice ride. A lttle squiggly in the turns (mostly because I'm running a little wide for 6.5 inch rims), but the ride is unbeatable...I went from 2056015 firerocks, to 2255016 712s, and the ride improvement was amazing.
Posted By: SVTCole Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/04/02 01:41 PM
I will add to comments on ride. Great ride even on 40 series tires. I'm on my second set of Kuhmo 712. My 205/55-16 were great. I just installed 215/40-16 in an effort to lower the car and gearing. Both achieved...speedo/odometer error acceptable to me. Price: great at $79, and just $78 for the 225/40-16 that I would recommend for those with aftermarket 16" WIDER wheels. No clearance issue...in fact, better clearance than previous 205 and 215 tires I've had. You would expect that on diameter, which is 2" smaller, but I was worried about width, and hitting the shocks.
Not even close.

CAUTION. The load rating on these tires is just 1047 lbs compared to 1356 lbs for larger 205/55 and similar for 215/50 and 225/50. With 63% weight on the front wheels at 3300 lbs with driver, that means 2,079 lbs are on the front tires, or 1,040 lbs per tire. So you can see that rules out any passengers and when you add braking and simultaneous braking/cornering it could be problematic.

The jury is still out until my first autocross. They feel great but under harder left foot braking and cornering they felt a bit strange. Under little or no braking and hard cornering they felt great...but of course that is atypical in autocross. Could be they are not rounded off yet on the outer edge. They come failrly square from teh factory. Off to work.
Posted By: Square Root Guy Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/10/02 03:57 PM
TTT smile
Posted By: APT Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/17/02 01:49 PM
ttt
Posted By: Jonny V Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/22/02 03:48 AM
Ive tried most of those tires too, and Luke nailed it right on the head!
Posted By: Pascal Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/23/02 03:15 PM
I like how this list conveniently omits tire brands not sold by Tirerack.. wink

.. I drive on Toyo T1-S rubber..
Posted By: Shaun G Re: The best tires - by Luke - 04/23/02 06:52 PM
Type T is better looking.
© CEG Archives