Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mangler Bleed the brakes on your own for 2$ - 07/23/01 04:25 AM
I finally got to replace my brake fluid today, even if I did not have a bleedin buddy.

I used a big ass syringe from the pharmacy (60cc), and a piece of clear plastic tubing (about two feet). This tubing size is usually used for aquarium aeration. I plugged the tube into the syringe, and into the bleeder. You might have to heat up the end to get it on the bleeder. I then pulled the plunger, and backed up the bleeder screw. Make sure you maintain constant vacuum in the line, and all will go smoothly. I pulled over 500ml of black fluid from the 4 lines, replenishing the master cylinder reservoir every two syringes.

Fast, easy, and much cheaper than a vacuum brake bleeder. Plus you don't get any fluid on your painted calipers wink
Posted By: perry Re: Bleed the brakes on your own for 2$ - 07/23/01 04:55 AM
Heheh.. That's a cool trick! I'll have to go snoopin around the drug store looking for syringes.
Posted By: mangler Re: Bleed the brakes on your own for 2$ - 07/23/01 01:23 PM
Be prepared for the dirty look when you ask for their biggest syringe...
Posted By: fuji Re: Bleed the brakes on your own for 2$ - 08/01/01 01:17 AM
Wow love your idea of using a big sucker. you deserve a 5 star for sharing your tips.
Posted By: ProudSVT Re: Bleed the brakes on your own for 2$ - 08/04/01 07:52 PM
Haha! If I asked for a syringe that big around here in LA, they'd ask to see my arms! Maybe I should go in all twitchin and studdering and stuff....
© CEG Archives