Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: showtime Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 01:50 PM
Does anyone know if you can use the Leda adjustable struts with Ground control coilovers?
I hear the with the stock or Koni struts that the spring perch has to be cut off, but it looks like the Leda don't have a spring perch.
Any info on stuts to use with ground controls would be a help.
Posted By: Steve Bassen Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 03:15 PM
The Leda adjustable struts already come with their own style coil-over sleeves attached to them... the ground control kit is un-needed.
Posted By: showtime Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 04:39 PM
do you know how much the Leda suspension kit costs? and where to get it?

and since it has the sleeve is both the strut and the coilover both adjustable like having the Koni's and the Groundcontrol or does it have just one adjustment
Posted By: Steve Bassen Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 04:49 PM
The kit is something like $1500+ (I think). The strut is fully adjustable, with 24 positions. The coil-over setup is (naturally) height adjustable. The ride is rather harsh, IIRC. The Koni SA with Ground Control combo is much more streetable, and slightly cheeper. Unless you plan on road-racing all the time, it could be considered overkill compared to the Koni/GC combo.
Posted By: showtime Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 04:54 PM
i'm not road racing, but i wanted a complete system...I heard its a pain in the ass to cut the spring perch off the Koni for the coilovers, and that someshops won't do it.
Also heard that people have to get the coilover welded onto the strut?
Getting the complete system from Leda might be a better deal, after all the labor on the Koni's and groundcontrols

Do you know of a place that sells the Leda kit?
Posted By: Steve Bassen Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 05:11 PM
Check with Leda , but I don't remember what the US distributors are at the moment.
Posted By: moonlight96lx Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 05:14 PM
I have the ground-control/ koni setup. The easiest part is cutting the perch off and you don't weld it on. The strut is steel and the GC sleeve is aluminum, so you can't weld it. Through two group buys I got the whole setup for under 875. I'm 20 and no great mechanic and I did it all myself. Took about 8 hrs.
Posted By: showtime Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 05:18 PM
thanks for the info moonlight, i might get the Koni's and the groundcontrols if its easy, but i have to find someone to put them on too.
Posted By: Antonio Wright Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 05:52 PM
Showtime, I will be switching to GC very soon. Like right after NOPI. StreetConcepts has a shop that will do them for $200. I am jumping on that one.
Posted By: skatrcj Re: Leda & ground control - 08/08/01 10:26 PM
If you get the koni's do you have to have the g/c's? If I got ebiachs and konis would I need them?
thanks---chris
Posted By: Pascal Re: Leda & ground control - 08/09/01 03:04 PM
skatrcj: Ground Control makes a height adjustable spring setup that fits over our struts. If you have standard Eibach springs they are just sitting on the Koni's perch and your car is happy. wink If you want to drop your ride real low and be able to raise it back up sometimes you would use the GC coilovers on your Konis instead of your Eibach springs.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: jcboeckl Re: Leda & ground control - 08/09/01 09:39 PM
Would it be worth it to get the ground controls w/ the stock SVT struts or should I just wait until my suspension wears out and get the Koni/GC combo all at once. I'm sure the second one would be better, but I don't have a whole lot of money (still in college) and I wonder if it would be worth it to wait and get both at the sametime or one at a time?

Thanks,
Justin
Posted By: Pascal Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 11:26 AM
As with any other spring install, if you buy only the GC kit and install it on stock struts you'll have to do the entire process a 2nd time when you want thos Konis in there. This is what I did because I didn't know if I was gonna keep the GCs and didn't want to ruin a brand new set of Konis. Now that I'm happy with the GC kit I have to go back and install it on Konis... Again I have access to lift and air tools so everything's easier.

Then there's the problem of bounciness. Even good SVT shocks don't have the rebound damping necessary to control the ERS springs in the GC kit. This will show mostly at highway speeds if you hit a swoopy dip in the road it'll take the car a 2nd bounce before it takes a set. This is NOT a really sought after behaviour and the only way to avoid it is with a stiffer shock valving (aka Konis or other). I've been living with it for a while though and although I swear at it every time I can't help but smile whenever I step out of my car and take a good look at it laugh

My next upgrade is Konis with sway bars, strut bars and better bushings all around.
Posted By: Pascal Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 11:52 AM
Oh, jcboeckl you have mail!
Posted By: ND SVT Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 01:31 PM
Silversvt- Did you get to specify what spring rate you wanted or did they just give you a "contour svt" package?
Posted By: jcboeckl Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 02:49 PM
Thanks SilverSVT a ton,

I think I am going to work on saving for a Borla/ypipe first then I will work on the suspension. This will give me more time on my stock struts and more time to save money.

Oh and THANKS FOR THE EMAIL!!
Thanks,
Justin
Posted By: Pascal Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 02:57 PM
ND SVT: Naah you don't get to pick and choose... I'm actually looking for the specs of their kit, I'd really like to know what rates I got. I'll call them on that some day, I think it's the exact same package for all V6 Tours and Cougars as well. No "SVT special" stuff here... As soon as I figure my spring rates I'm going to order a set of 4 softer springs for winter from a race supply store.

jcboeckl: Glad I could help! Have fun...
Posted By: ND SVT Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Silversvt:
...I'm actually looking for the specs of their kit, I'd really like to know what rates I got...

If the box or a spring has a part number on it you can look it up in one of these tables on their website: 2.25" inside diameter , 2.5" inside diameter
Let us know if you find out so that we can order a second set also. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Pascal Re: Leda & ground control - 08/10/01 04:50 PM
They do have a number on them... I'll have the car up on jacks next week to install new pieces and work on my brakes so I'll jot down the numbers then and post back in this forum.
Posted By: COBM Re: Leda & ground control - 08/11/01 01:32 AM
Acconding to Terry Haines If we want confortable ride with the ground control but with track capabilities. "We need and a harder valving strut set up and a softer spring. This will keep the ride softer on the street and adjustable for thr track."
© CEG Archives