Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 04:42 PM
and came up with two threads. Be kind!

Are these just total crap struts? My suspension is almost gone and I need to replace it asap. I'm thinking about the B&G springs in the GB, so I probably need a performance strut, but what is the cheapest way to do this? The KYBs probably won't support the B&Gs for the long haul, but will they be okay for two years or so? 95 zetec is the car.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 04:48 PM
Not totally sure what you are asking here....MacPherson Struts are the design of the suspension, not a brand. All front struts are MacPherson Struts, all rear struts are Chapman Struts (named after their "inventors").

Just use "struts" in your search, and you'll get so much info your head will spin.

The BAT kit is a decent package, and has the advantage of coming all put together for you. You would just have to install them on the car.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 05:17 PM
Actually a phone call just cleared this up. I was told the struts I was looking at are pretty much stock. Precision Ride Gas Charged Macpherson Struts (Made by Gabriel). If I can run those struts with the B&G springs then that will definitely fit in the budget. I cannot afford the BAT kit and I'm beating my head against the wall for selling my ST200s a few years ago. Hindsight sucks.

Of course, if I would have spelled it correctly I may have gotten better search results. Thanks, Phil for responding.

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 09:00 PM
How many times have you told me to save up my money and I'll be happier in the end???

Come on Heather, you know better...

Don't make me come down there and make you whoop my @ss!!!!!

How much are the McPhearsons anyway, I'm sure a little searching will get you a decent strut for those B&G's for just a few dollars more. I'll definately keep my eyes open for you though.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 09:20 PM
LOL Steve! Unfortunately, my savings have gone to the new house. BUT now that the remodeling is finished and my backyard is done (12x12 ft stone patio installed by moi), my attention returns to the Tour.

I found the struts for a really good price. However, the suspension is bad and I've been told I need to get'er done asap. So if the Macpherson/Gabriel struts will work with the B&Gs then that's going to be my solution.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 10:33 PM
You can run any strut with any spring......how long they last with the lowering of the B&G spring is the question. So to answer your question.....they will work together.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 11:18 PM
Did you read her post???????????

Originally posted by GLChick'95:

Are these just total crap struts? My suspension is almost gone and I need to replace it asap. I'm thinking about the B&G springs in the GB, so I probably need a performance strut, but what is the cheapest way to do this? The KYBs probably won't support the B&Gs for the long haul, but will they be okay for two years or so? 95 zetec is the car.

Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
You can run any strut with any spring......

We all know that already...

......how long they last with the lowering of the B&G spring is the question.

That is exactly what she is asking...

......So to answer your question.....they will work together.

She was referring to the "Long Haul"

Let it go man, Does your owner know you're here?

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Did you read her post???????????

You can run any strut with any spring......

We all know that already...

......how long they last with the lowering of the B&G spring is the question.

That is exactly what she is asking...

Let it go man, Does your owner know you're here?

Who the phuk are you talking to? She wanted to know if the combo would work......I replied. STFU and quit YOUR sh!t.

Since you can't read;
She wrote: So if the Macpherson/Gabriel struts will work with the B&Gs then that's going to be my solution.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/02/05 11:43 PM
Who the phuk are you talking to? She wanted to know if the combo would work......I replied. STFU and quit YOUR sh!t.

Since you can't read;
She wrote: So if the Macpherson/Gabriel struts will work with the B&Gs then that's going to be my solution.

Try again Mr. I'll use my moderatorship to mispell words like [censored] and tell people to STFU

Oh in case you can't read, that post began with....LOL Steve so I believe it was meant for me...So who the [censored] was supposed to be talking???
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 03:20 AM
Ignoring the drama that ensued....

Thank you Loco. I was specifically wondering if the Macphersons would work with the B&G so I appreciate your input. I'm looking to get maybe 2 more years out of my Tour with that combo.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 03:25 AM
Ignoring the drama that ensued....

Thank you Loco. I was specifically wondering if the Macphersons would work with the B&G so I appreciate your input. I'm looking to get maybe 2 more years out of my Tour with that combo.

You should. I've ran my suspension for over 3 years, over 100k on basically what is SVT Macpherson struts.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 03:30 AM
I know you have the ST200s and trust me right now I'm kicking myself in the ass for selling my set. So if Macphersons work then amen because they are in my budget.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 03:41 AM
I know you have the ST200s and trust me right now I'm kicking myself in the ass for selling my set. So if Macphersons work then amen because they are in my budget.

You should be able to get a good life out of the struts. If you are only planning on 2 years that shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 05:42 AM
Buy the BAT kit if you want a very nice improvement in handling with no real loss in ride quality.

Buy standard replacement struts (Gabriel, Monroe, GR2, etc) if you want the same mediocre handling you have always had.

It's as simple as that.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 03:02 PM
Thanks Demon, I am well aware that the BAT kit is the best option for really good suspension. But I need a replacement that will fit and hold up for just a few years--mediocre or not.

If I had the money, I would most certainly buy the BAT kit.
Posted By: Stazi Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 05:39 PM
Simple answer = Gabriel struts are a piece of sh!t
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/03/05 10:27 PM
Is KYB any better? Honestly ya'll..if I could afford the better err stuff (I didn't realize CEG censors words now lol) I would get it.

Posted By: Stazi Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/04/05 11:54 AM
The KYB's are almost as good as stock. BUT they do not take well (either the Gabrierls or KYB'S) to being mated with lowering springs. They will blow out fast and thus you just pissed $$$ away buying and installing those cheap struts.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/04/05 01:53 PM
Can you even buy stock struts now?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/05/05 12:24 AM
BAT kit > group buy springs + off-the-shelf struts.

So is the new Koni kit.

Don't buy stock. You will regret it. $600 for a brand new suspension that will last, and handle great, or close to that much for crap you will replace soon- this is a no-brainer.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/06/05 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 03:18 AM
NP glad i could help
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 04:22 PM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
NP glad i could help

Nice, Kevin.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 05:19 PM
Bk4293, you are exactly the reason why this forum is going to hell, and many respected memebers are leaving. Take more time to help people asking questions than verbally smashing mods.

GLChick'95, I am going to prolly get Monroe gas struts, which are about $60 each from Advance. I'm not really going to look for lowering springs, and the BAT kit is also out of my price range. If you want the improved handeling, and lowering, I would save the extra for the BAT kit, since I have seen tons of great reviews. You also might be able to find someone on here that can help you install it, and save $200 over having a garage do it.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Bk4293, you are exactly the reason why this forum is going to hell, and many respected memebers are leaving. Take more time to help people asking questions than verbally smashing mods.

GLChick'95, I am going to prolly get Monroe gas struts, which are about $60 each from Advance. I'm not really going to look for lowering springs, and the BAT kit is also out of my price range. If you want the improved handeling, and lowering, I would save the extra for the BAT kit, since I have seen tons of great reviews. You also might be able to find someone on here that can help you install it, and save $200 over having a garage do it.

Nah, BK's okay. He and LoCo go way back. Luv ya, Steve.

Matt, I actually ordered KYB struts from Shox when I ordered the B&G springs from the Group Buy. They were about $70 a strut w/shipping which isn't too bad. I decided to go with the KYBs because I found some peeps who are going to install them and actually show me how--so I get to get dirty.

I went through all this two years ago when I was going to lower the car, but other things came up so I am well aware of what I "need" for better handling, but sometimes you just gotta put other things first. Wish I could have sprung for the BAT, but the total for parts was $450, strut mounts may cost me, but I'm pretty happy with what I've bought.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 06:35 PM

Ummmm... Hector Jr...did you read my first posts or did you just skip down to the last couple and act like you know whats going on.
It's people like you that preach without reading the entire thread with full understanding and decide to play the "Good Guy" that start all the stuff. Hector and i have been through it before and many of the respected members know Hector and I go back and forth all the time, as a matter a fact I just saw him Saturday, but you knew that since you know everything else...right???

Hey Heather, might be selling the ST200's but it won't be for awhile...When are you getting the springs?
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/07/05 06:41 PM

Hey Heather, might be selling the ST200's but it won't be for awhile...When are you getting the springs?

Next week fool! Install happens the following weekend. Besides, were your ST200s used? Oh and how come you didn't text me back bish!
**don't do it today I left my cell at home.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/08/05 12:15 AM

Ummmm... Hector Jr...did you read my first posts or did you just skip down to the last couple and act like you know whats going on.
It's people like you that preach without reading the entire thread with full understanding and decide to play the "Good Guy" that start all the stuff. Hector and i have been through it before and many of the respected members know Hector and I go back and forth all the time, as a matter a fact I just saw him Saturday, but you knew that since you know everything else...right???

To anyone that does not know both of your personal histories, like me, all that it looks like is a big stupid argument, in all your posts on this thread. Do not assume that I "know everything" and therefore know you two have a history of "fooling around". As any other senior member, you know there are plenty of jerks that are around just to cause trouble, and for all I know, you were one of them. If you are just fooling around, I appologize. But don't assume I know it is a joke, since you make no mention ever that you are fooling around.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/08/05 02:48 AM
yeah the brand you found was precisionRide
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/08/05 06:46 PM
Take more time to help people asking questions than verbally smashing mods.

How many times have you told me to save up my money and I'll be happier in the end???

Come on Heather, you know better...

Don't make me come down there and make you whoop my @ss!!!!!

How much are the McPhearsons anyway, I'm sure a little searching will get you a decent strut for those B&G's for just a few dollars more. I'll definately keep my eyes open for you though.

Naw, it won't be next week. I just got off the phone today with Mr. Terry Haines about my tranny. It won't be ready until next week sometime. Sorry sunshine, it definately won't be that soon. Sorry Sunshine

Call KYB in Addison IL. and tell them you want to set up a group buy. Maybe you can get then even cheaper. Theyre right down the street from my work.

Theres probably at least 10 Contour/Cougar guys looking for struts at a bargain...

I'll give ya a call later, been busy at work and with Griselda. Hey, when are we having a meet at that fancy new house of yours anyway???
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/08/05 10:44 PM
Steve, sorry to hear about the tranny. You are more than welcome to come party at the house. I just redid the backyard. (where's a naughty smilie when you need one!)

Anyways, I already ordered everything. KYBs and B&Gs. It will be delivered next week so I am very happy. Thanks for the offer though. GIve me a holla when you're not too busy, Pimp.

I promise not to post again on non-suspension related material.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/09/05 01:58 AM
Glad you took my advice you will be happy.
Posted By: Stazi Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/09/05 02:22 PM
For a short while at least - until the KYB's blow out like Kevin's a-hole!
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/09/05 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

Doh! That's cool. I need two years max. But then I'll have cleared up some $$$ for a new car.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 12:48 AM

I wouldnt do it if I were you.....You don't remember those TBK meets we had when Kevin ate the cheese quesedillas do you!!!!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 02:11 AM

I wouldnt do it if I were you.....You don't remember those TBK meets we had when Kevin ate the cheese quesedillas do you!!!!

[Homer voice on] Hummmmm TBK [Homer voice off]

Ohh and Stazi i didnt clear out a whole floor at Sz mate
Posted By: Stazi Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 02:42 AM
Ah young padewan...you wish you had the power of my Jedi ass - the power is strong in my bowels!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 03:00 AM
Ah young padewan...you wish you had the power of my Jedi ass - the power is strong in my bowels!

I would say id take your word for it but in my case everyone felt the Raff of you A$$.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 06:19 PM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:

[Homer voice on] Hummmmm TBK [Homer voice off]

I miss me some TBK.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/10/05 08:02 PM
Me too but I dsont miss Kevins house afterwards !!!!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: I searched for Mcpherson... - 06/11/05 12:31 PM
Me too but I dsont miss Kevins house afterwards !!!!

MEEEE i can name 2 other people that are way worse.

Yes i let them rip but mine dont stink but the 2 of you stink it up.
© CEG Archives