Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Thinkmoto New header install - 03/24/04 12:34 AM
OK I just installed my MSDS headers/ y pipe. I also installed 2 new lower oxygen sensors. They where both trashed and I always had a CEL, because of them. The car has been sitting all winter basically, only being ran here and there to warm it up and get the condensation out of it. Gas isn't toooo old but not very new. I drove the car around just to see how everything was and it breaks up/misses at 5K and up. The warmer the car got the more the miss moved up the powerband. After 15mins or so it would miss badly at 6K..it just falls flat on its face. Car doesn't pull hard at all and misses like a mofo. I don't have a CEL..thank god but it runs like crap. I'm gonna run the tank out and get a fresh tank of 93 in it. The fuel filter is not even a year old, plugs are very new. The car ran fine before this, but had a CEL. Could the computer still be learning, considering it's had a CEL for over a year now I was guessing it just needs to be cleared out pretty well and driven. The car does sound sweet on WOT What a difference in noise Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Massiv Re: New header install - 03/24/04 03:30 AM
This doesn't help your problem, but could you give me an idea of the sound difference? I am planning on having these on my car before the end of April, and can't WAIT for the results.. My stock headers are my last bottleneck on the exhaust side, and the last bottleneck on the intake side is going to be done any day now. From what the guys on NECO are saying...

Thanks!

Massiv.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: New header install - 03/24/04 04:22 AM
hmmm...
reset your ECU, check your plug wires, change the fuel filter (it's easy, why not?) and get some good gas. I don't know what else could be an "easy" fix to the prob.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: New header install - 03/24/04 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Massiv:
This doesn't help your problem, but could you give me an idea of the sound difference? I am planning on having these on my car before the end of April, and can't WAIT for the results.. My stock headers are my last bottleneck on the exhaust side, and the last bottleneck on the intake side is going to be done any day now. From what the guys on NECO are saying...

Thanks!

Massiv.

Big difference..It really woke up the rumble in the the Trubendz.

Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: New header install - 03/25/04 12:23 AM
hmm nobody else? I guess me myself and I will fix it
Posted By: Ronan_dup1 Re: New header install - 03/25/04 10:53 AM
Have you tried to see if its running lean/rich? Maybe there is something wrong with the ecu. Did you reset it? (by pulling the fuse for about 15/20 mins or pulling the terminals on the battery for the same lenght of time)
Posted By: GnuLoCo_dup1 Re: New header install - 03/25/04 03:16 PM
I had this same problem brotha! Its more than likely something different only because you replaced this part in the past. Some people have replaced theirs 5 times or more. You are not going to like what I am about to say.

IACV

That would be my only guess, the bogging happend to me but it was actually usually around 3k rpms or a little higher. It would like you said -- fall flat on its face.

Maybe run some high quality injector cleaner. I think I heard somewhere that STP makes the good stuff. Check your wires.

[GnuLoCo]

Posted By: GnuLoCo_dup1 Re: New header install - 03/25/04 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Derk2000:
hmmm...
reset your ECU, check your plug wires, change the fuel filter (it's easy, why not?) and get some good gas. I don't know what else could be an "easy" fix to the prob.

Definately reset your ecu, I think the easiest way is just pull a terminal on your battery for about 20 mintues. I noticed a slight difference even installing my catback. PLUS! my CEL was gone afterwards.

[GnuLoCo]
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: New header install - 03/25/04 11:10 PM
Chris I reset the ecu many times while installing the headers. I may do it again though.
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: New header install - 03/26/04 05:10 PM
I take it your car didn't do this before it was stored?. I has a similar problem and it turned out to be a plugged main cat. Got worse in the normal operateing temprature range. Kind of sounds like similar symptoms though. There is no bottle neck from the header instal like say a gasket that slipped into the path of flow?
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: New header install - 03/26/04 05:20 PM
If you have stored your car for awhile and then run it hard, chances are you may have damanaged your plugs electrodes. Pull the plugs and ensure the gap is within spec. My Explorer had a terrible miss at a certain RPM and it turned out that a gap adjustment of only .005 inches (from .055" to .050") fixed the problem. If it's a miss, it can only be 1 of 3 things, or a combination of the three. Fuel, Air or Spark. IACV could be the culprit, but I doubt it. Besides, checking/adjusting spark plug gap is free, and a new IACV isn't. Before making any changes though, run your gas down to nothing and then fill up with good quality gas. If the plugs are gapped properly, I would turn to the next cheapest item in line .. a fuel filter. If it's a stumble more than a miss, it could be the fuel pump. I would only fork over the dough for a new IACV if it was a last resort.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: New header install - 03/26/04 10:17 PM
Yes the car has been sitting for awhile. I know the gas is probably down on octane big time I have to get a fresh tank of gas in it first. I'll check the plugs to make sure they are OK. The car runs fine but once it hits 5-6K thats when it just looses power/falls on its face. I'll try to get it out again this weekend, if it ever stops raining
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: troubleshooting after header install - 03/27/04 12:03 AM
Well here is the official staus on the car.
1 It's got a few exhaust leaks, main cat for sure and maybe a few more.
2 Spark plug OK.. I only checked one quickly
3 I filled it up with 93 so now I have a full tank of good gas.
4 The car will not rev out at all. Once it hits 5,500 it falls off immmediately. After that it takes forever for it to rev past 6K. I held it flat footed in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and it just won't rev past 6200. It take s very long time for the revs to climb past 5500 to 6200. I'm getting to think I either have a major problem or something very stupid wrong with the car. I want to fix some of the exhaust leaks first so I can make sure the manifold gaskets aren't leaking( I have a very strange feeling the front one might be)I also have a little exhaust system tweaking to do. The car pulls very good from about 2500 to 5500, and really comes on around 4500-5K, but then just falls on its face at 5500????? I'm really baffled by that I guess I'm just gonna have to triple check eveything I touched while installing the headers. Oh and I still haven't got a single CEL yet!!!!!!Thats what is really driving me nutz Of all things to
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: troubleshooting after header install - 03/27/04 03:41 PM
falling flat at high rpms also sounds like the IMRC isn't working, but your symptoms don't describe a failing IMRC to a "T." There's an easy check for it, though - rev the car by hand and see if the linkages are moving. (They're visable, just below the TB)
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: troubleshooting after header install - 03/27/04 07:52 PM
I;m just about to check that out.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: troubleshooting after header install - 03/27/04 08:15 PM
ImRC is ok and operational...the mooose is back though I year old IAC and shes a moosin The car falls off at 6K for sure now.
fuel pump is ont he way out!
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: troubleshooting after header install - 03/28/04 04:18 AM
I don't think so... The IMRC is all screwed up. return spring is broke inside the IMRC. The linkage from the rear bank to front bank wasn't connected, the grommets are missing. After I get all the sorted out I'll see how it runs.
Originally posted by Alquistador:
fuel pump is on the way out!

Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/03/04 08:51 PM
Well my car wouldn't rev past 6K at all. I found the secondaries linkage not connected on the front bank. So, I tore apart the UIM/LIM and cleaned everything while I was at it. The manifolds where nasty. I got it all back togeter last night with new gaskets and secondary linkage grommets. The car is a whole new machine it friggin pulls hard as hell at 4K and up. It sounds mean as hell once the secondaries open.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/03/04 10:16 PM
So you fixed it?!? Good news!
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/03/04 10:43 PM
god damn right
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/03/04 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
god damn right

your too funny..lol
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/04/04 12:12 AM
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
god damn right

your too funny..lol

I try my best You gotta keep smiling when working on these cars Or else you'll go crazy
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: resolution to no revs past 6K - 04/04/04 12:38 AM
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
god damn right

your too funny..lol

I try my best You gotta keep smiling when working on these cars Or else you'll go crazy

You're goddamn right!
Glad she's back to tiptop shape!
© CEG Archives