Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
taken today at a local car show, a few of my favourites
anyone explain them all to me please ?

sorry for the random image sizes
Awesome. That Pete's registered in Florida. Prolly got enough miles to make the trip dozens of times. 13-speed Cat FTW!
Well the first one is the very rare Red X, I hear they fetch 9 figures at Barret (sp?) auctions. Second is a Chevy Corvette, Chevy's singular good idea since the 70's (you can tell from that ugly yellow thing called a Camaro, and the very ugly flat red thing, surprisingly, also called a Camaro). Other than the Peterbilt and Kenworth Tractor Trailers and the Cougar I pretty much couldn't tell you much about the other cars, other than approximate years. Though I do love that Cougar!

EDIT: The first pic (has an extra http at the beginning) is also a Corvette, looks like a Stingray maybe? Either way, the 'Vette is Chevy's sports car, fast, RWD, and excellent handling, perfect for a road course. They've been made since the '50's and just keep getting better and better, but we won't mention the 80's.
LOL, yeah we have Red X's here too, although cheap and common , thanx so far though
Is that a smart car I see peeking from behind the Peterbilt? I don't think it is, because any car that calls itself "smart" wouldn't go near those rusted steelies.
well slap me with a wet fish, but i see no smart car ?
Yeah, I'm sure it's just a little car that seems quite common on your side of the pond (we need to start getting them, except those tractor trailers carry quite a punch, especially at highway speeds) I just wanted to find a place for that lame joke. Do you have Tractor Trailers on your side of the pond? Excuse my ignorance, but I've never been there (Germany some day).
The semis there are little compared to ours.
Originally posted by deedum:
taken today at a local car show, a few of my favourites
anyone explain them all to me please ?

Who invited Ron Jeremy?
if you mean tractor units and trailers as we call them, then yes, but ares are not as HUGE.

That really interesting, are most of them cab-over's?
yup if you mean sleeper cabs , yes there on top and not glued on the back like yours
if you mean tractor units and trailers as we call them, then yes, but ares are not as HUGE.

Keep in mind that here in the states it is common for tractors to be pulling two trailers. There are some states that allow three! Let me tell you, having passed one of those behemoths in Colorado, it's UNNERVING as three trailers have a tendency to weave like a snake!!!! Also, it takes a LOOONNNNNGGGGG time to get around a hundred feet or more of semi!!!!
Haha, actually I meant the actual cab is over the engine, not like the two you pictured.
In all my television watching, every European semi I've seen was a cab-over. I don't recall ever seeing even one conventional tractor. I'm guessing it's for the same reason they have smaller cars over there. Space. Smaller shorter semis are easier to maneuver in the tighter confines of their cities.
not a great piccy, but we have a 'few' of these
Nothing says 'I'm a dork' like a cab-over truck. At least that's the reputation they've got in our shop. Most of the truck you'll see on the tight roads in Europe are gonna be cab-overs. We've got more room over here, so large-cars and condo cabs are they way to go.

Speaking of long trailers, I read a few weeks ago some bloke in Australia pulled over 3,000,000lbs on a hundred-something trailers with a stock Pete for 100m.

Keep in mind most of the big trucks you see on the road can be pulling 100x more weight than they actually do because we have to turn our trucks down to meet US emission regulations. These new fuel laws are gonna kill us.
Originally posted by DanMyers:
Is that a smart car I see peeking from behind the Peterbilt? I don't think it is, because any car that calls itself "smart" wouldn't go near those rusted steelies.

If you mean this, then it's a Nissan Primastar van, also known as a Renault Trafic and Vauxhall Vivaro.

I've got a Vivaro, and they are bigger than a Smart. In fact, you could probably fit a Smart in the back!

What do you guys have over there in terms of buses... Vanhool? Mercedes? any Prevosts?
Buses ?
Well in the towns we have a lot of these beastys

For major runs, we have these

were i live mainly old Leylands, not really sure what other makes ??
Oh you guys have Plaxton city buses. Here in BC, Canada we have MCI, New Flyers and Orion Bus Industries.

As for tour buses we have Prevost, MCI and a few Vanhools mainly... I drive for CBL and here's what our buses look like:
Very Cool!! I love the old IROC, especially from across the pond!
The 3rd car down is the mid 70's Mustang 2. About as popular as the Micra.

Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:

Keep in mind that here in the states it is common for tractors to be pulling two trailers. There are some states that allow three! Let me tell you, having passed one of those behemoths in Colorado, it's UNNERVING as three trailers have a tendency to weave like a snake!!!! Also, it takes a LOOONNNNNGGGGG time to get around a hundred feet or more of semi!!!!

Don't forget the Road Trains of Australia. 4 or more trailers aren't uncommon.

And for the record of longest road train....

I wanna see him blind back that road train into a loading dock in Chicago or some other metropolitan city.

That third picture after the rare red X is a 1965 Galaxie 500 priced from $2950.
Originally posted by 69Boss302:
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:

Don't forget the Road Trains of Australia. 4 or more trailers aren't uncommon.

I didn't forget them. I just don't live there and he did ask why ours were big. I would HATE to have to try and pass one of those road trains though. Those things are CRAZY long!
1 more beasty i liked

not a great piccy, but we have a 'few' of these

German guy I worked with on the airfield was talking about the big trucks... Said he likes American ones way better than the Euro ones due to the engine being out front.

He told me about that Scania, but said it's ugly... and he's right!

Those trucks are the "classic" ones. They nearly look identical to the ones 25-30 years ago, but have new engines and stuff.

This are "newer" trucks from the States:
Peterbilt 307:

Kenworth T660:

[image][/image]

International:

Volvo VHD:

Most of our cab-overs look something like this:

Oh, and I like how you can do whatever you want with your plates up there! I see GB plated cars here that have plates with a website on them... crazy!
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Oh, and I like how you can do whatever you want with your plates up there! I see GB plated cars here that have plates with a website on them... crazy!

Forida and Georgia (among others probably) have been putting the state website (MyFlorida.com and Georgia.com respectively) on their plates in the past few years.

What do you mean by "do whatever"? Like could you spray paint it tie-dye or cut out flames in the metal?
© CEG Archives