Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 96_98_SE Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/27/06 05:00 PM
In late March, a Peterbuilt semi hauling an oversized load rear-ended my wife's 98.5 SE. Fortunately, the collision was at a relatively low speed, so damage was minimal (i.e. the airbags didn't activate; the seat-belt pretensioners didn't even kick in). Nonetheless, the semi's insurance company declared the vehicle a total loss. We didn't want to get rid of the vehicle quite so soon, so I bought it back from the insurance company (Salvage title) and started fixing it myself. Here are the before-and-after pictures:

As you can see, I converted the 98's rear-end to the pre-98 style. It now matches my 96SE (except for the color).

The only work that I outsourced was the painting and a quick 'pull' of the rear trunk floor to realign the trunk latch. One of my neighbors happens to be a professional automotive painter (he even has a positive-pressure paint booth in his garage!) so that kept the paint costs relatively low. Considering that the factory paint is 8+ years old, the new paint matches pretty good -- I'd say it's only a tiny bit darker.

A local salvage yard had dozens of 'donor Contours' to pick parts off of -- the pre-98 trunk lid w/ spoiler and all of the tail lights cost only $180. I repaired the damaged bumper myself with some 'plastic welding.' The original spoiler had the integrated 3rd Brake Light, so I mounted a slim-line 15-inch LED 3rd Brake Light in the rear window (it really isn't visible until you step on the brakes -- then it's BRIGHT!).
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/27/06 05:05 PM
Nice.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/27/06 05:06 PM
looks good nice work. the pre 98 trunk lid with lip spoiler is hot. i have got one in my shed that i am going to be puting on something this spring.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/27/06 05:58 PM
Looks nice. I got hit by a semi once, too. Except 95% of the impact was absorbed by the bumper. You couldn't tell the car was even hit unless you looked underneath the bumper cover (which was barely scratched). The bumper assembly was falling off in pieces on my home after it happened.

I like the new version.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/27/06 06:01 PM
Good work! I hope my project turns out as nice. I pick it up from the paint shop sometime this coming week.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/28/06 04:34 AM
Nice job!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/29/06 10:57 PM
Looks great! Now you need to bring it to our little meet at Turner Falls next weekend!
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/30/06 03:29 PM
very nice ....
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Rear-Ended by Semi - 05/30/06 03:41 PM
Get some 17" wheels for that baby!
© CEG Archives