Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Let the party begin:

Test fit:

I only have two concerns at this point after test fitting and before I start the hotmelt plastic welding procedure. The first is the body lines. When bolted up, and at this angle, it looks like I'm going to be a bit crooked, but maybe it wont be noticable?

My second concern is how much filler its going to take to fill this gap. The two bumpers aren't perfectly the same, so there is a little space here that doesnt line up right.

The rest of the bumper lines up perfectly.

I'm thinking I might be able to weld all the sections that do fit up perfectly, and then just use some body filler to cover that gap, and maybe reinforce it with some mesh in there before I refinish the surface.

What does CEG think?
Looking good, but...

If it was me doing it, i would have made the bottom of the SVT bumper parallel to the ground, instead of it at an upward angle. Needs a mirko now, lol!
Nice!

Weld it - then fit it and bondo onced fitted so it's in the position it needs to be otherwise if you bondo it of the car then fit it - any tweaking to get ti to fit right may crack the bondo.
That's a good job man. I love those pre-98's with SVT bumpers and skirts.
Originally posted by Slack Master Doug:
i would have made the bottom of the SVT bumper parallel to the ground

Can't really do that without screwing up the body lines. I want a stock SVT front look anyway. The car being up on jackstands give the illusion that it might be angled up, but I was very careful not to get the "micah" effect.

Thanks for the comments, and good idea stazi.
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
The car being up on jackstands give the illusion that it might be angled up, but I was very careful not to get the "micah" effect.

Okay, excellent. I look foward to seeing finished pictures!
That is freakin awesome. I love it. Im so glad you have posted pics. I cant wait to see it finished up. Keep us posted and keep posting pics. Gosh I love custom work!

micah bumper...like this
notice how well the lines flow

and the jealousy sets in
Looks great, Ryan. Good luck with the rest and be sure to post up LOTS of pics when you're done! Pre98 T-reds gotta represent!
Update:

Today I finished the welding process and reinforcing with a 2 part urethane based adhesive

My first step was to mount the bumper, fit it in place, and reinforce the outside of the seam with aluminum tape:

This worked extremely well, because as it turns out when I fit the bumper after welding and glueing, it fit PERFECTLY. I mean, if Ford had made this bumper it wouldn't slide on and mate up any better.

Anyway, next step after taping was to prep the surface to be welded:

Then welded using the airless hotmelt urethane welder

Next, I reinforced the backside of the welded seem with a two-part urethane based adhesive. It was extremely difficult to work with and my workmanship looks like total ass, but its actually quite strong.

After letting the two-part adhesive set up, and welding the front side of the seem, I fit it on the car

Now she's ready for the flexible polyester body filler I purchased, then its sand it and off to paint.

Total time invested in this project at this point: 8hrs
Total cost of materials and supplies (minus bumpers): ~$180 ($115 for welder alone)
Price quote from bodyshop for primer and paint: $190
great job on everything!

thats going to look hott when its all painted
That looks sooo amazing. Lots of work i bet tho, and really pricy
Actually I think I've saved a lot of money. I've heard quotes for custom work like this of around $1000. I think I'll be selling the welder after this project to recoup some costs, but basicly I've got a painted and finished pre-98 SVT front with no micah effect for probably around $350 or so when its all said and done
The seam where the two pieces are being joined at look like they still are painted. I hope that isn't the case.
The back side is not painted, the front side still is, but I used my dremel to remove the paint from the front side where I welded the front after preping the surface with some plastic prep products, sanding, then cleaning again. I've been monkeying with it and its quite strong. The two-part adhesive on the back side reinforced the already strong weld even more. I've been banging on it and flexing it to test rigidity and its as if it was never cut.
As long as you don't do ANYTHING (filling, urethane welding, etc ) over paint, you're golden.

A 5" palm sander will come in handy for the prep work up to the filler primer stage. Don't use your dremel for that.
Cool, thats exactly what I bought, a 5" palm sander and some 60, 100, and 150 grit paper. Thanks for the headsup about applying the filler over paint, I might have just sanded it rough and then filled on it
Pretty cool someone gave you a free SVT bumper to use. Is that Boyne trip coming up?
looking good!
Originally posted by todras:
Pretty cool someone gave you a free SVT bumper to use. Is that Boyne trip coming up?

Yes and the rally of 110
Looking good. Keep up the good work. I think there is a pre98 svt bumper in the classifieds. But its cool that you are making your own!

Lined up home built Urethane bumper > POS CF crooked Micah Bumper.
Cool, thats exactly what I bought, a 5" palm sander and some 60, 100, and 150 grit paper. Thanks for the headsup about applying the filler over paint, I might have just sanded it rough and then filled on it

Which would have looked fine. BUT, the filler would have bonded to the paint rather than the bumper itself. The first decent bump would have pulled the urethane and the paint it had bonded to off After the amount of work getting projects like this to look sweet, that would have been a major PITA to go all the way back and redo it from the stage you're at now, all the way to painted/clearcoated.

Actually I think I've saved a lot of money. I've heard quotes for custom work like this of around $1000. I think I'll be selling the welder after this project to recoup some costs, but basicly I've got a painted and finished pre-98 SVT front with no micah effect for probably around $350 or so when its all said and done

Nice work Ryan. I was just wondering last week if you had gotten around to doing this yet, looks nice. So what you thinking of asking for that welder?? I happen to um, know a guy looking to do a custom rear bumper who will be in need of one in T.C. lol. Drop me a PM or something if/when you decide to sell. Can't wait to see the bumper painted!
Another update.

After some heavy sanding with 60 grit paper to remove the clearcoat and rough up the painted surface areas, I applied a Flexible Polyester Putty from SEM products:

I used 60 grit paper to knock down and shape the filler material, and finished with 150 grit paper. I also touched up all the nicks and scratches that were already on the bumper from road rash and crap. I'll hit it with some 220 grit real quick before its primed.

Then its off to paint....
Kick a$$ sea bass.
looks AWESOME...good work, keep it up. I'll be molding my new mirko that comes today to my SVT's bumper in a week or two.
Originally posted by pole120:
looks AWESOME...good work, keep it up. I'll be molding my new mirko that comes today to my SVT's bumper in a week or two.

I'm thinking of doing this too.
Wouldn't recommend it. Already trashed mine.
That looks good, props on the work.

I'll just have to live with fixing it once and a while, because IMO and un-molded mirko looks "tacked on". I'm all about the clean "it came that way" look to spliters and the like
Cobra R splitters look tacked on.

Besides, it's easy to get away with just bolting it on with a black SVT. Hides the lines better than any other color.

Mark
Pulling a Mirko in minutes to make small repairs > Pulling an entire bumper with cost of filling chips and painting entire bumper. Being 3" off the ground is a recipe for disaster just as I had thought. You'll see.
Pulling a Mirko in minutes to make small repairs > Pulling an entire bumper with cost of filling chips and painting entire bumper. Being 3" off the ground is a recipe for disaster just as I had thought. You'll see.

You have a point there.
Pulling an entire bumper with cost of filling chips and painting entire bumper.

Having the abilitly to do it youself............

priceless.
Fixing your Mirko every week in hopes of it staying in great shape.......

Pointless

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Pointless

Mark

Touchet

Pointless

Mark

Touchet

What about fabricating some kind of skid plate?
Originally posted by guitarman19853:

What about fabricating some kind of skid plate?

Already in my plans
Awesome job on the bumper. Looks great. Can't wait to see it painted! Keep up the good work!
pole arent you selling the front bumper?

woord..I'd never mold mine unless I had another bumper, although someone recomended that for winters use a cheap regualar contour bumper..still though, Id never mold it just cause incase I need to take it out, I can do it right there and not have to worry about taking the whole bumper off
Originally posted by tour96se:
pole arent you selling the front bumper?

one of them (did you read the add?) My svt still has one.....
Originally posted by 99contourdriver:
Awesome job on the bumper. Looks great. Can't wait to see it painted! Keep up the good work!

Yeah, what he said!

I like the way that bumper is coming out.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

never did get a skid plate fabricated? how bad is the damage?
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

woord..I'd never mold mine unless I had another bumper, although someone recomended that for winters use a cheap regualar contour bumper..still though, Id never mold it just cause incase I need to take it out, I can do it right there and not have to worry about taking the whole bumper off

Will the non-svt front bumper fit over the bigger radiator?
Originally posted by Tourige:
Will the non-svt front bumper fit over the bigger radiator?

Ya, I definately think it would... the bigger rad doesnt stick out from the body any more than the regular one does (90% sure)
No SVT radiator issues. It's not THAT much bigger. If their was interference wouldn't someone have mentioned it by now?
PS - LiquidX or whatever his name is today had a skid plate and he still destroyed his Mirko.
Originally posted by Stazi:
PS - LiquidX or whatever his name is today had a skid plate and he still destroyed his Mirko.

iirc he also ran into a tree that was down across the road in the middle of a huricane
Looks like its back to the garage with my bumper. The body shop guys didnt like it so much lol

I need to do some better shaping/sanding/feathering to get it right.
Paint the entire seam black, then wet-sand it with a ligh grit sand paper, this will show you were you high and low spots are.
Paint the entire seam black, then wet-sand it with a ligh grit sand paper, this will show you were you high and low spots are.

good advice..but if you use spray paint the body shop might hate your bumper more
After all that work, you should make a mould of your bumper and start a GB.
Originally posted by BrApple:

iirc he also ran into a tree that was down across the road in the middle of a huricane

yea he ran into braches and destroed his mirko...I was planning on getting a skidplate however I've been scratch and scrape free for the 2 months I had it on
what ever happened to duratex?
banned
Originally posted by ouch:

Its a damn shame the micah bumpers didnt come out right.
Originally posted by ouch:

Its a damn shame the micah bumpers didnt come out right.

so the kneeshaw bumpers will come out flawless right?
Nice job bud!
The bodyshop dude gave me a bit of a tip for sanding the filler: He says to use about a 1 foot long peice of 2x4 or something rigid and straight, wrap the sandpaper around it, and holding the contraption horizontally, work it in a vertical up-down motion all accross the seam. Let me tell ya, it works really well. Now i can see all the low spots of my crappy hand sanding job, and let me tell ya, there's a lot of em

A little more filler, some quality feathering, and it should be ready to go back to the body shop by tomorrow.

I like the idea of making a mold of this thing. After all this work, it would suck the big kacheeba if something happened to this thing. I just dont think there's going to be enough interest in another Pre-98 SVT front bumper GB to warrant it. But if there was, I'd totally do it.
Finally, its at the bodyshop being painted. Getting it just right is a lot of work on a curved surface. I've probably got almost 20 hours into this project now, and I still can't say its "perfect".
Cool, Keep us updated with progress!
Ryan do you have another DD for the winter?!!? Please tell me you do!
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
Ryan do you have another DD for the winter?!!? Please tell me you do!

haha no i don't
You=
That's awesome, i love DIY! Good work on the bumper!
Just some updated pics before primer and paint:

If you compare the last pics with these you'll notice how much more I had to feather and blend the filler material to hide all ridges and edges better. As a result of my noobness it took a LOT of sanding and many more applications of filler than it should have
Just don't drive around with your bumper like that as I did for 4 months
It's looking real nice...Just wait another couple months...then you get to mold in a mirko...hehe
Just an idea. You might shoot the molded portion with a coat of primer, so you can see any imperfections that might be there. You'll be able to see any waves/bumps/pits that could be in the filler. Looks good, and can't wait to see it finished!

Mark
i do believe he did that.
Just an idea. You might shoot the molded portion with a coat of primer, so you can see any imperfections that might be there. You'll be able to see any waves/bumps/pits that could be in the filler. Looks good, and can't wait to see it finished!

Mark

As previously posed...

I must have missed that post somewhere between working, and getting sh!t done at work. I'll let my boss know I need more time to read every post on CEG, and not just 90% of them.

Mark
that is beautiful. I molded my trunk lid (and regret it) and it's actually still not finished because I gave up on it because it looks like crap,and it's just sprayed flat black now. It would look nice if it were painted to match,but it looks like work in progress right now. I do have the guts to tackle a bumper project like yours,but I'm getting rid of my car,so I'm not going to bother. But seeing work like yours makes me remember why I bought my car in the first place,just to have a bad experience with unreliability and stuff. Oh well....

Can't wait to see your bumper finished. That's the finishing touch your car has needed. Now she's gonna be even more beautiful.
Looking just excellent!! I wish I had the cojones to try something like that. Alas, I don't...and besides, I don't have a SVT front or rear to work with anyway. Great work so far....can't wait to see the finished product.
Ok, so here's the update.

Bodyshop jacked it up. They went to sand it and it cracked. This is hard to beleive because I've been flexing it, mounting it, unmounting it, sanding it, etc, and it never cracked. Whatever, whats done is done. What really pissed me off though, is they ground down the side that cracked and started experimenting with the hotmelt stuff and trying to peel off the two-part on the back. Basicly, I have to completely redo the left side of the bumper from scratch.

So. I gave it some more thought, and tried something a little different to make sure it is as durable as its ever going to get. I started by drilling a series of 1/16" holes, about 1/8" back from the edge on both sides of the seem. Then I used the Flexible Ure-Weld that I was using to reinforce the back of the seem on the seem itself, skipping the hotmelt process (which had I had more welding rod I would have still used the hotmelt too), and applied it to both sides of the seem. Thin coat on top, but pushed it through all the little holes I drilled so it basicly will "lock" around the substrate. The result, before topping it off with filler, looks like this:

It definately feels much stronger than it was before. It really feels like one peice. It did flex a little before, but its not a real stress point on the bumper so I dont think it would've been a problem, but at least now I know it wont ever be a problem anymore. Its not going anywhere.

Having done this once before makes it easier. I just did this repair in about an hour, which is far less than it would've taken me before.

So tentatively, I'll have the filler done tonight or tomorrow, and I already confirmed with the body shop that when I bring it back on Monday morning they'll prime it that day, and paint on Tuesday.
I would kill them
Trust me, it was willpower, and not physics, that kept me from reaching through the phone and ripping his throat out. Because I would've found a way.

At least its back together now, and ready for some finish work. That makes me less angry, and back to relaxed-mild-Ryan.
I have to commend you on your custom work. Looks really good. Love the pic up dates. Keep them coming!

Thank you, the encouragement really helps
Another update: Ready for paint (again)

I re-inforced the back side with some more two-part adhesive, sandwiching in the steel mesh on the sides between two layers of Ure-Weld:

After having some time to cool down, I have to admit that having to redo this thing might have been a blessing in disguise. It is noticably stronger than it was, and I have complete confidence in this thing now. It couldn't be any stronger even if it was one peice. The Ure-Weld really makes a nice hold.
After having some time to cool down

i noticed the box of corona LOL

but nice work again, and that is too bad you have to redo some of it, but like you said it may have been for the best. hope it turns out great!
Got a call from the body shop...
Where did they break it this time?

J/K...get some damn pics up ASAP!
I tried to get some good pics, but the weather is so lousy out here only one turned out. Here's what I got:

Sexy stock 15"ers eh? Winter time, winter wheels/tires
I tried to get some good pics, but the weather is so lousy out here only one turned out. Here's what I got:
http://www.ryankneeshaw.com/contour/images/other/bumper/DSCN0884.jpg

http://www.ryankneeshaw.com/contour/images/other/bumper/DSCN0882.jpg

wow. i love the pre 98's with svt kit. now you just need some E1's and that'd look hot

what are your normal rims
freggin' awesome man! great job! it looks perfect.
Ryan damn you! Get a winter beater alreayd!
Thanks, I'm very pleased. I'm about to set up a chair in the garage just so I can stare at it

These are my summer rims:

The offset is about 10mm different than stock, which gives the car a much meatier stance:

The summer wheels are 15's too. I wish I had hte money to get a set of 17's, but I really do like the look and style of these AR Spyders, just wish they were +2"
Ryan damn you! Get a winter beater alreayd!

I need exhaust work first
I am so envious. I've yet to decide to kit my car or not.. I make 850 a month with a car that's paid off..

To be, or not to be.. anyways

I really like your car. Keep it away from Elky, he'll make that bumper white in no time.
I wish my car was that pretty
Looks great!
Originally posted by Mikey Boy:
freggin' awesome man! great job! it looks perfect.

my thoughts EXACTLY!
Great job! The car looks awesome.
Your now a legend among CEG'rs
Originally posted by Marky:
Great job! The car looks awesome.

Originally posted by Tourige:
Your now a legend among CEG'rs

Just NOW...I call BS...He was at that level when he manned up and did a 3L swap in 3 days when his car died. He could've copped out and gotten something else, but no! He stuck with it! I salute you, mr too cheap to buy a $500 beater to get me 5 miles to work!
Great to see part of crispy living on! Looks tanfastic!
Glad to see part of my car is now part of your car
Great to see part of crispy living on! Looks tanfastic!

Originally posted by RawBurt:
Glad to see part of my car is now part of your car

BTW Ryan the intake pipe was mailed USPS yesterday. Should have it by Fri. UPS wanted $11!!!!!! WTF? Get some silicone couplings ordered.
awesome looking car, good work!
mr too cheap to buy a $500 beater to get me 5 miles to work!

[bud light background vocals]mr too cheap to buy a beater!![/bud light background vocals]

ryan the bumper looks great. dont be surprised if one day you wake up and your car has all stock bumpers again and mine has those exact ones
Don't be surprised if I come on here the day after you steal them with a whoring session of a two toned M-red:T-red color tour
You just need some 17"s and you'll be set.
[soft chant]mirko, mirko, mirko, mirko[/soft chant]
[soft chant]mirko, mirko, mirko, mirko[/soft chant]

Now keep away from those deer you so love to hit with your Contour!

Get some of those ultrasonic deer-repellers and hide them behind the bumper if you must!

Get some of those ultrasonic deer-repellers and hide them behind the bumper if you must!

Aren't those bunk?
I dunno, but I thought I'd do something to ward off the Deer-Gods that see Ryan's car as a suicide weapon.

Aren't those bunk?

Behind the bumper they are! They rely on air travelling through them.
LOVE IT!!!

Congrats on the hard work. Like stated above looks PERFECT! I think you should invest in some new rims other than that the car is HAWT!!!!

Yea you have to get them in an air stream and higher the better I'd guess. UUUUuuuuuuggggllllllyyyy.
I realise they need airflow, so by saying BEHIND the bumper, I meant behind the MESH, obviously.
I understood what you said. Don't think Mike did though. Don't know how well behind the mesh. Better than nothing I suppose.

Some good info.
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/deerwsle.html
Bah, get 'em anyway. Superglue them to the washer nozzles cause that'd be hawt!!11!!!!1
Sorry, I refuse to install deer wistles!
Sorry, I refuse to install deer wistles!

Hahahah, deer whistles car looks great, good to see some of the hardcore tour guys are still around and still modding!
Deer whistles make deer that are ON the road panic and run OFF the road.
Deer whistles also make deer that are OFF the road panic and run ON the road.

Your bumper looks amazing!

I swear, if I didn't know anything about Contiques, I would think it's a factory setup. Great job.
looks very good...i actually like your wheels...could be bigger but i like the offset...besides..biggers overated
Well go ahead and mount a mil-surp MG42 on the roof and turn that deer into hamburger!
Ryan, beautiful car. Very well done.

Btw, my name is Ryan Kneeland, owner of a '99 CSVT, and I too lack a winter beater. It's fun flying through corners, yanking the e-brake. However, I absolutely cringe when I hear the salt and grit bouncing off the fenders. 123,000 miles in the Maine weather and still purring like a kitten!

Odd coincidences
Originally posted by m1lgram:
Ryan, beautiful car. Very well done.

Btw, my name is Ryan Kneeland, owner of a '99 CSVT, and I too lack a winter beater. It's fun flying through corners, yanking the e-brake. However, I absolutely cringe when I hear the salt and grit bouncing off the fenders. 123,000 miles in the Maine weather and still purring like a kitten!

Odd coincidences

Welcome newb!! Becareful on that ebrake pulling -gulp-
I would kill them

Hahaha, I would Fire them! And then get a new body shop.
Cracking it.....maybe, but fuggin it up trying to mess with it.....never!
Originally posted by jtour:

Welcome newb!! Becareful on that ebrake pulling -gulp-

Do you even know what an ebrake slide is?
Kneeshaw,

That is so far just an awesome job for a DIY'r!

I like the shoe wedge too!

Originally posted by guitarman19853:
http://www.ryankneeshaw.com/contour/images/other/bumper/DSCN0884.jpg

http://www.ryankneeshaw.com/contour/images/other/bumper/DSCN0882.jpg

wow. i love the pre 98's with svt kit. now you just need some E1's and that'd look hot

what are your normal rims

No way, those 7spoke SE rims look hot with that body kit. I'd leave em!
Originally posted by Sharkey:
Deer whistles make deer that are ON the road panic and run OFF the road.
Deer whistles also make deer that are OFF the road panic and run ON the road.

Slowing down on Dark nights/country roads really helps tooooooooo????? <hint hint>

Find an expressway to tear up, but on a road where dear and other animals run, I sooo hate to speed and end up swerving or slowing down really fast.
Yeah watch out for those damned woodland creatures...oh how i hate them. Otherwise... "This could happen to you!"

Originally posted by warmonger:

Find an expressway to tear up, but on a road where dear and other animals run, I sooo hate to speed and end up swerving or slowing down really fast.

The deer are just as common on the ex way in Northern Mi too.
Originally posted by warmonger:
I would kill them

Hahaha, I would Fire them! And then get a new body shop.
Cracking it.....maybe, but fuggin it up trying to mess with it.....never!

I stayed with the same bodyshop because they painted my car last, so my thought is that they wouldn't have to paint match or blend anything, they could just use the same paint forumula they used last time they painted my car, and they do outstanding work... as long as its stock work...

Regardless, the finished product did turn out absolutely beautiful, the paint job looks really well done and it matches perfectly, so I'm happy.
Car looks outstanding! Great work!

btw- if one were to mount the deer whistles backwards on accident, would deer then be attracted to the vehicle.....

Deer whistles are the ghey!
The car looks amazing! Nice job.
Here are some more pics of the finished product, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to wash the car:

car looks great, now mold that trunk lid spoiler, that would be
Your front bumper looks great, excellent work. Do your tires rub?

I believe its something like:

1) Drive.

2) Pull e-brake.

3) Slide.

4) Repeat.

5 (Optional) Call tow truck if necessary.

Thanks for the greeting! I've perused the forums for a couple years, but finally decided to post.

As for the deer issue, one had a seat on the hood of my 'tour last winter. Minor damage, luckily. Remember, just because you miss the first deer that leaps across your path, it doesn't mean it's idiot mate won't follow it and, well, fill your grill with tufts of fur and cracks. I was lucky.
Originally posted by Silversvts:
Do your tires rub?

Nope. The summer wheels do though, but thats becuase of the extra 10mm of offset. Nicer stance, but they do rub occasionally (even with rolled fenders, I've pretty much given up fixing it). The look is worth it though, IMO.
Originally posted by m1lgram:

I believe its something like:

1) Drive.

2) Pull e-brake.

3) Slide.

4) Repeat.

5 (Optional) Call tow truck if necessary.

Learn to quote someone.
I whored
that tour looks really good. (ill send you mine so you can do it for me so i dont have to haha jk)Nice job man. Keep up the good work.
Nice very nice. Mad props on the custom work.

Originally posted by joejoe:
ill send you mine so you can do it for me so i dont have to haha jk

lol, I had thought about it before! But probably not a good idea. But this whole experience shows that if you want to, you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Before this project, I had ZERO bodywork experience. If I can pull it off, anyone can. Just be patient and think outside the box.
© CEG Archives