Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: davppp999 A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/14/06 06:09 PM
Hello everybody, hopefully someone will know what's going on. I have a 98 Contour SE, 2.5 Duratec. The a/c blows warm air, never cold. I notice that the compressor isn't running continually, it tries to start, but shuts off immediately after. I can feel the relay clicking on and then immediately off. Is there a problem with the compressor, or possibly the relay? Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/14/06 06:26 PM
chances are there is a leak in the system that has let all the coolant out, this causes the low pressure switch to activate and cut out the compressor, get a guage set from autozone and check the pressure out

may just need to be refilled or you have a major leak
Posted By: davppp999 Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/14/06 06:28 PM
I have checked the pressure and it reads OK, my friend and I added some refrigerant, and it held it.....
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/14/06 07:38 PM
Welcome . Maybe compressor clutch.
Read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1248984&Forum=trouble&Words=a%2Fc%20blow%20air&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1248984&Search=true#Post1248984
Originally posted by davppp999:
I have checked the pressure and it reads OK, my friend and I added some refrigerant, and it held it.....

What exactly does "reads OK" really mean?

You need to post actual pressure readings and the conditions under which they were taken. High and low side are both needed...

Steve
Posted By: davppp999 Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/15/06 12:38 AM
Sorry for the lack of info....with the engine running and the air on high, it initially read 25 psi and we added till it read ~40 psi.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/15/06 04:13 AM
Try measuring pressure with the car off and not warmed up. The low side pressure (port near batery) should be above 80psi, drops to about 25-30 when the system is running and the compressor is on. Check the accumulator canister it may have rusted out. My compressor leaked at the case O ring, soap bubbles can help you find a leak.
A minimum of 45 psi (static) is required to close the cycling switch and turn on the compressor clutch.

Steve
Posted By: btrautman Re: A/C Trouble - Please help...... - 06/15/06 11:26 PM
Those pressures are awfully low...

Bob
© CEG Archives