Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 98SVT 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/27/02 03:56 PM
I was watching Fox news last night and they had a report on alternative fuel cars. One of the alternative fuels systems is the hydrogen fuel cell and one of the test mules is a Contour. I couldn't tell the year as it had a pre 97 rear and post 97 front. It must have confused the reporter as well because he called the car a Focus! :rolleyes: At any rate, these prototypes are valued at $3 million. By the way, if fuel cell drive becomes popular, it's going to be hard to keep your car's exterior nice as they drop a lot of water on the road as a byproduct of operation and you'll be using your windshield wipers alot more if you follow too closely. laugh

Karl
Posted By: cincimatt Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/27/02 05:49 PM
I saw this car or one like it at the Del Mar Fair here in San Diego. I don't remember seeing a pre-98 rear on it but it did have a full SVT body kit. It wasn't originally an SVT though because the interior was standard contour fare.
Posted By: SweetVT Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/27/02 07:58 PM
Ford has a focus fuel cell vehicle too. Its more for marketing than anything else right now but it is a good idea for car makers to look into alternate transportation means. Adaptability is key especially with the overcrowded roads, road rage, traffic, parking disasters and related going on these days.
Posted By: NMC Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/28/02 06:50 AM
I saw that in the paper the other day. Almost cried. It was an SVT, bodykit, wheels, etc. It is painted white with Ballard Fuel Cells on the side of it. Engine and tranny gutted for an electric motor set up. HMMM, wonder where that engine went.
Posted By: 98SVT Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/28/02 05:20 PM
Yeah I forgot to mention the body kit however I think it was an SE kit but I'm not positive. The side skirts didn't seem to be as tall and the fog lights somehow looked different, at least different than mine. The car did have the E1 wheels on it though. Still I wonder why they had the early trunk lid on it unless maybe it's lighter?

Karl
Posted By: todras Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 02:25 PM
Here ya go.

Website
Posted By: Mani Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 02:42 PM
why doesn't that look like a contour? confused (except the bumpers and stuff)

could that be a model year that never came out?
Posted By: HighPoweredKaufman Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mani:
why doesn't that look like a contour? confused (except the bumpers and stuff)

could that be a model year that never came out?
Yeah, those don't look like Contour rear doors (no sail panels... slope up in the back)... C-pillar seems different too... but that might just be because the rear doors look different.
Posted By: Blackie Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 03:47 PM
Whatever it is, I like it. Wish my tour looked like that!
Posted By: todras Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 04:05 PM
If you went to the website you would learn that it is an aluminum Contour that has been stretched. Hence the rear pillar looking like that of a Catera.
Posted By: RoadRunner Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by todras:
If you went to the website you would learn that it is an aluminum Contour that has been stretched. Hence the rear pillar looking like that of a Catera.
It is also using a Pre 98 Rear Trunk Lid w/spoiler.
Posted By: RoadRunner Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 04:15 PM
Pretty soon, we will all be running on Grain Alcohol anyway...

laugh

This is just a Money Burner.
Posted By: todras Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
It is also using a Pre 98 Rear Trunk Lid w/spoiler.
The only thing pre98 on that trunk is the reverse light/reflector area. Trunk is totally different.
Posted By: Mani Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 07:06 PM

Posted By: todras Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/29/02 07:19 PM
Might want to mention that the first 2 pics are from the same car car, a bi-fuel Tour. The rest are of the fuel cell car.
Posted By: LoCo Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/30/02 06:11 AM
I kind of like the no sailpanels look. laugh
Posted By: Redcon96I4 Re: 3 Million Dollar Contour! - 07/31/02 05:05 AM
the trunk is that of a sentra se-r spec-V,, cept the lights :p ,, i so am gonna find a way to get some glass in my sail panel area,, can i strecth my 'tour? Do i tie it between two F-350s? laugh
© CEG Archives