Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: hotdimmes what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/21/06 09:37 PM
Does anyone know what the seat covers on our cars are made of, specifically 98+? I say this because in my dad's 95, it has the patterned cloth all over, where as in my 98 the pattern is only down the middle and a different fabric lines the sides and headrest.

I'm interested to know because I'd like to find out if they would shrink in the washing machine and make it difficult to put them back on.
Posted By: MazTour Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 01:24 AM
You realize to machine wash the covers you need to tear down the seats and rebuild them again,which is definetly waaaaay more trouble than it's worth for you. They aren't just slipped over the foam,they're tied down with hog rings,velcro and plastic push pins.

I've torn down a set of rear seats from a '98 Mystique and you definetly won't enjoy yourself putting them back together,and I can only imagine the front seats will be more of a pain in the butt.

I build Chrysler seats for a living,so if you don't know what you're doing,don't do it. I wouldn't run the risk of machine washing the covers anyways. The covers themselves,atleast the ones I build,do expand and contract from heat and cold.

If you're bent up on washing the seats,why don't you just use an upholstery cleaner????
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 01:43 AM
Yeah, upholstry cleaner is an idea as well. I just figured a good machine wash would be better. I've already got a set of hog ring pliers on the way, and I have nothing to do all day for an indefinite amount of time. I just figured for dying the center parts, having the seat covers off and properly washed would yield better results.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 01:45 AM
theres always these

ebay seat covers
Posted By: Tourige Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 02:15 AM
Steam Clean FTW
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 03:46 AM
eh..I used that duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray on a sock...doesn't seem like it will hold up on high rub areas
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/22/06 06:41 AM
duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint isnt going to work on seats, its already starting to fade (rub off) on my driverside door panel (but I only put 2-3 heavy coats on).. probably need more like 6-7
Posted By: MazTour Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/24/06 02:18 AM
What are you doing,wanting to change the colour of the interior? Don't spray the seats with fabric dye,that'll look like crap. Your best bet is go find some seats from a wreckers.

I had cloth seats in my Mystique and found an indentical Mystique like mine at a wreckers with a leather interior and $350 (Cdn) later,the front and back seats and all 4 door panels with the leather inserts were mine. However,they were already the same colour as my interior.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/24/06 03:28 AM
Either steam clean like said above or use a carpet cleaner or tuff stuff.

I have a can of this stuff and it works wonders.
Originally posted by Mystique97:
Either steam clean like said above or use a carpet cleaner or tuff stuff.

I have a can of this stuff and it works wonders.

yep tuff stuff rocks! been using it for years
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/24/06 05:51 PM
I'm going to call some upholstry places to get estimates. I think maybe I'll take the seat covers off myself, and just have them replace the middle pieces of fabric with something black. Maybe if I do all the removing and reupholstering, it will minimize cost. My other thought was to take them off and just dye all of the seat upholstry black. That'd be cheap and effective, but shrinkage could be a prob. I really want the two tone look though.

my mockup:
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/24/06 09:44 PM
That would look nice. I wouldn't mind a setup like yours but in teal, instead of black.
Posted By: MazTour Re: what fabric are seats covers made of? - 06/27/06 02:34 AM
nice,I like that. If you can,try and get suede for all the black.
© CEG Archives