Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Benasaki Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 01:21 AM
I'm seriously considering buying a 98 SVT. It's got 51k, one female owner, and the car is in sweet shape. She's asking 6 but I think she'll move much more than that (maybe 5k). My question is that I see lots of posts about trans/diffs going south and even some motors- how reliable are these cars? I am already aware of the water pump problems.... Part of me thinks that the repair bills will be too much. Thanks for reading.
Ben
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Benasaki:
I'm seriously considering buying a 98 SVT. It's got 51k, one female owner, and the car is in sweet shape. She's asking 6 but I think she'll move much more than that (maybe 5k). My question is that I see lots of posts about trans/diffs going south and even some motors- how reliable are these cars? I am already aware of the water pump problems.... Part of me thinks that the repair bills will be too much. Thanks for reading.
Ben

2 words.... GET IT!
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 01:25 AM
i concur
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 01:28 AM
the only reason the trans/diffs go bad is because people beat the living snot out of them. This car has a tendency to have wheel hop with hard launches which will absolutely kill your diff. I drive my car fairly hard, but i dont slam gears and powershift.

I wont argue with the spun bearing issue with the engines. Oil starvation can most certainly be a problem. One of the reasons why most people swap in a 3.0L longblock is because it has an extra another oil drain passage for the extra lubrication. (and of course the extra hp and tq is nice too. )
Posted By: richs_dup1 Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 01:37 AM
If you don't hammer them all the time they last a long time.

Rich S
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 02:39 AM
get it and never look back...you'll love it, the only reason i drive 92 miles to see my buddy is to drive his svt and at 6k w/only 51k thats not a bad deal either,if she moves lower TAKE THAT [censored]!!!!!1111
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 02:40 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
get it and never look back...you'll love it, the only reason i drive 92 miles to see my buddy is to drive his svt and at 6k w/only 51k thats not a bad deal either,if she moves lower TAKE THAT [censored]!!!!!1111

What he said!
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 06:54 AM
Get it for sure! I fell in love with mine the first day I brought it home, trust me, you will too.

-Jeff
Posted By: SonofSHO Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 07:24 AM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
......I wont argue with the spun bearing issue with the engines. Oil starvation can most certainly be a problem. ......

Anyone ever thought of dropping the pan and replacing the main and rod bearings as a preventive measure?
Posted By: Lee K Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 02:43 PM
On my 98 SVT, I had to:

Replace the water pump (55K)
Replace the alternator (94K)
Replace both front wheel bearings (88K)
Had water in the trunk (fixed by cleaning out junk from around the tail light drain holes)
Replace the CD player
Replace the catalytic converter (78K - emissions warranty)
Had a couple of recalls (heater blower motor)
Lubricate the rear door hinges (twice)
Lubricate the window retraction mechanisms
Replace the rear brake pads (60K)
Polish the hazed headlamp covers

My power antenna quit retracting, but I never got it fixed

After 100,000 miles of sprited driving, the transmission, clutch, and front brake pads (!) were all original and in fine shape. Is this a reliable car? Sort of. Lots of little things tend to break every couple of months, at least on my car they did. Nothing catastrophic, but just slightly aggravating.
Posted By: irda Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 03:17 PM
I say definitely get it. it's a good price.
Is this car reliable? I say yes. Things are pretty easy to work on this car.
Water pump, struts, brakes, clutch, etc are all things that would have to be replaced on any used car because of miles/age. sure you might run into some problems but this forum will always help you out and most of the stuff is easy to fix.

i think the most important thing is the engine, and i think this engine is rock solid. water pump is easy to change, and this car doesn't have a timing belt it has a chain. those things by itself (timing belt/waterpump setup on those engines) would have cost you close to $1k at the dealer or shop. i call that a savings.

i love my svt. it's a great car. there just aren't too many aftermarket parts for this car like there would be for other cars so it's a compromise.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SonofSHO:
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
......I wont argue with the spun bearing issue with the engines. Oil starvation can most certainly be a problem. ......

Anyone ever thought of dropping the pan and replacing the main and rod bearings as a preventive measure?

CTAmotorsports also has an upgraded oil pan you can pick up that supposedly fixes this oil starvation problem... If I owned a contour with a duratec(I wish) I would pick it up in a second. $140 is a way better price then 1500-2Grand to drop in a new engine.

BTW, get it. You will not regret it... You will Fall in love with this car. Hell, I fell in love with my 96GL, its nothing special but I couldnt ever imigine selling it, Its such a fun little car to zip around in.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Buying 98 SVT - 01/21/05 03:57 PM
actually go to Demons web site,he has a page about the revised oil pans and pick up assembly,etc. very inforative, and if i remember correctly cta has the older one,ford has recently released a revised model again,as far a replacing stuff,it's all hit or miss,like they say if its made on a monday,wednsday,friday,day after holiday,day before holiday, than you need to watch out LOL...my car has 125k its duratech v6, close enough to svt,and i've only replaced altenator,water pump,and idler pulley......and i've beat the hell out of it.......and there are plenty of things for this car,you just cant pick them up at your local pepboys.....so what
© CEG Archives