Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CarolinaGirl How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 05:31 PM
I love my 1999 Contour SE Sport 6cyl, 5-speed. Runs great, never breaks down, but starting to fall apart--warped dash, sqeaky back doors, Check Engine Light won't go off, common problems. I'm starting to think of buying a new car (of course, I'll keep my Contour). Any suggestions for an affordable car with some power and great handling--like my Contour? I'm tempted by the 2005 Mustang, but I want some other advice.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 05:51 PM
Which Mustang? GT?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 05:52 PM
I would try to figure how much it might cost to just fix the car vs getting something new if you like the car that much and aren't panning on getting rid of it

the dash isn't an easy one but the rear doors are, use some white lithium grease and that should take care of that

get the codes read at autozone and let us know what they are and most likely someone will know how to fix the problem and get the engine light off, and when that happens your gas milage will go back up also

other then that, i don't think much compaires in the price range, maybe a used VW or BMW or something along those lines
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 07:38 PM
Hi Carolinagirl, welcome to the forum? How much power to you want. A used Taurus might be your ticket. Or if you want gobs of power for a low price in a new car, look at the Dodge SRT-4. It's basically a neon with a rocket attached
Posted By: Pre98 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 07:47 PM
Yeah, in all honesty my buddy recently purchased a brand new saturn redline. I like it, he likes it, but for macho performance the gears and such don't like the driver (I guess it's been geared like crap). Anyways, after knowing what an Ion Redline is like, I agree with TexasRealtor in saying that the neon srt4 would be a better choice over it. But it all depends on what you want, of course.

These can't possibly be the only options for a new car though. And as for used, a Volkswagen by adopting some taste (to me I'm spoiled by my contour and I want a new car that looks like it, too ) But I'd ride in a Jetta anytime.

Again, all that matters is what suits you best. I hope more alternatives come up, people here are pretty resourceful.

Posted By: Wijn Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 09:17 PM
I'm in there with the Dodge as well!

Wijn
Posted By: Frosty Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 09:24 PM
I am DEFINITELY not a chevy guy, but how about the new Cobalt? It looks cool anyways. If not, I would have to say go for the Mazda 6! Very cool looking and lots of fun to drive (My friend has one...haven't driven it, but riding= ) Good luck on your quest!
Posted By: Vetterin Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Yeah, in all honesty my buddy recently purchased a brand new saturn redline. I like it, he likes it, but for macho performance the gears and such don't like the driver (I guess it's been geared like crap).

You are right about the gearing, but the remaining 2004's have been marked down $5750 which puts it at just around $16,000 which is darn good. If you can wait until midyear the Redline will have the Comp model which will include a LSD that greatly improves performance.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/15/04 11:48 PM
Mazda 6, or the 2006 Ford Fusion (nee Contour)
i think you would be very happy with a Mazda 6
Posted By: slingersvt Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 12:19 AM
I agree....Mazda 6....I drove one last year.....nice ride....I'd still search for a used CSVT though!!! I can't seem to get away from the Contour....I'm on my second one!!
Posted By: 96mercury Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 01:08 AM
Avoid the neon period as it has very bad build quality and won't hold up well. The mazda 6 sounds like a better choice.
Posted By: CarolinaGirl Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 01:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for these great ideas! Of course, I'm still listening. I want to do some test drives over the holidays, and this definitely gets me started. I have to admit, even though I'm supposed to be a settled down mom, I really love the power in my Contour. I don't know if I could be happy without the ability to get past someone in a hurry. I'll let you know my results, and keep sending suggestions!
Posted By: CarolinaGirl Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 01:17 AM
PS Does anyone have a Mercury Cougar? They look like they might have some power, plus they're cute and cheap since they don't make them anymore.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 01:20 AM
the cougar is just a two door contour. Come with the same 2.5 duratec and tranny, but gives you two doors and a hatchback. I know alot of girls that have them, also because "thier cute"
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 03:37 AM
The last year for FWD Cougars was 2002. Could get a nice used one way cheaper than a new car.
Posted By: 04marauder Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 05:22 PM
Get a Marauder
Originally posted by 04marauder:
Get a Marauder

any reasoning to your agrument? just wondering concidering its not in the same class as a tour or any of the other cars mentioned
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 05:44 PM
Originally posted by dsickles123456789:
Get a Marauder

any reasoning to your agrument? just wondering concidering its not in the same class as a tour or any of the other cars mentioned

Yea because buying a boat that can get smoked by a V6 Accord is a good idea.
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by dsickles123456789:
Get a Marauder

Yea because buying a boat that can get smoked by a V6 Accord is a good idea.

yea i was trying to get someone to say that, my grandfather has one after owning town cars and grand marquis for the last 20 years and he thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. i had to drive it and trust me, its not.
Posted By: 04marauder Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 07:14 PM
Not an argument.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 07:19 PM
No argument? Well why did you buy it?
Posted By: Pre98 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/16/04 07:29 PM
I'm sure he has good reasons, not that it's much of our business, but I gotta agree, it's not really in the same class as what we're "thinking" anyway, that Carolinagirl is looking for.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong

How about the new Volkswagen? Everyone has their tastes..no flaming about this here, period. Perhaps she'd like it?
Posted By: Lee K Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 03:02 PM
Going back to the original question, Carolinagirl, do you need four doors? If so, the standard recommendation is a Mazda 6s. If you are opening it to the rest of the world and are considering a Mustang, then there are many, many choices.

As far as your 99 Contour goes, then there are a couple of things to do to keep it going:

1. Have the CEL diagnosed. If it is the one for the catalytic convertor, then Ford will replace it for free under warranty, assuming you don't have more than 80,000 miles. Otherwise, you're in for a pretty hefty repair expense.

2. The squeaky back doors need to be lubricated. Ford has a lithium grease for this, and it works. Have the dealer do it when it's in for the CEL problem.

3. The warped dash is a common problem for 99s. Ford fixed them for free, but that recall has expired. Search for "dash warp" here on CEG and you can find what other people have done to fix it, short of buying and installing an expensive replacement dash.
Posted By: 04marauder Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 03:15 PM
I suggested a Marauder because it's a blast to drive. It reminds me of my 98.5 SVT Contour in the sense that few people know what it is and many give it much attention. Up to now I've only had lots of positive reactions. Carolina mentioned power and handling as her criteria. Didn't think she was limiting her choices to the suggestions others were making. No, it's not going to handle like the Cougar or the Stang but for a "boat" it really does handle well and it also has plenty of power. If you're keeping your Contour then you already have something in that class. I kept my SVT too. But I needed something bigger once my 2nd son was born. We were too tight in the SVT and I'm not into minivans or SUVs so the Marauder was an easy choice for me to make. To me, it's even better than sliced bread. And as far as getting blown away by Accords, 11 second Marauders are not unheard of. If you care about that kind if thing.
Posted By: hrsepwrdrms Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 04:00 PM
How about an old mint one of these....
Posted By: 04marauder Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 05:10 PM
Anyone here ever see this video?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140704
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 05:27 PM
Posted By: Frosty Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 05:58 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Nice!
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 06:19 PM
I'm planning to own my tour another couple of years when the other cars I am eyeing are more in my price range (used)
I like the acura tsx (4 door 200hp), infinity G35, the Lexus IS300, and the nissan altima ser. They have a good combination of reliability, power, luxury.
You could also consider the mazda 6 (duratec built by Ford).

Posted By: hrsepwrdrms Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/17/04 06:29 PM

I LOVE THAT CAR!!!
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/18/04 12:37 AM
Originally posted by dutchie:
I'm planning to own my tour another couple of years when the other cars I am eyeing are more in my price range (used)
I like the acura tsx (4 door 200hp), infinity G35, the Lexus IS300, and the nissan altima ser. They have a good combination of reliability, power, luxury.
You could also consider the mazda 6 (duratec built by Ford).

If you read up on the TSX, it is pretty weak.

On a different note, did anyone see that guy on SVTperformance forums claiming his daughter's '01 4cy Cougar ran 14.2? And his maurader is capable of 10's... Does that strike anyone else as odd?
Posted By: tranceworld Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/18/04 05:17 PM
why not, my wifes ponti sunbird does 11 in the 1/4 mile.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/18/04 06:16 PM
Quote:

On a different note, did anyone see that guy on SVTperformance forums claiming his daughter's '01 4cy Cougar ran 14.2? And his maurader is capable of 10's... Does that strike anyone else as odd?

Are they modded? if not, that is odd.
Posted By: mavrock_dup1 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/18/04 06:29 PM
Originally posted by tranceworld:

You sure you don't mean in the 1/8th mile??
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/19/04 03:24 PM
Originally posted by hrsepwrdrms:

I LOVE THAT CAR!!!

I love that car too.........but that smiley face...scares me...just look at it its like...going to jump out of the screen and get you.
---------------------------
Originally posted by mavrock:
Originally posted by tranceworld:

You sure you don't mean in the 1/8th mile??

...11...in the 1/4 mile......Sunbird? Is it modded?...ya I agree Maybe the 1/8th mile.
Posted By: DJ Capp 911 Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/19/04 05:19 PM
i thought he was being sarcastic with the sunbird comment but maybe I'm wrong. I have a friend that lies about everything and the best one was him saying that he had his 4 cylinder 2001 galant going 150 MPH!!!! Cant wait to bring my tour down and whoop him!!!
Posted By: CarolinaGirl Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/20/04 03:55 PM
Thanks again to everyone--I'm off to test drive the Mazda 6, and work on my Contour!
D.
was the 4 cylinder 2001 galant going down hill for about a mile
Posted By: tranceworld Re: How To Replace My Contour? - 12/21/04 09:48 AM
oh yeah, that was sarcasm. I think the last time I drove her car it was zero to sixty in about 14 seconds. Next time I will have the sarcasm a little thicker.
© CEG Archives