Modifications >> Duratec Maintenance

Pages: 1
m4gician
Veteran CEG'er

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Toronto (Woodbridge)
Fixing A/C leak for good? Possible?
#1308413 - 08/29/06 03:55 AM

I'm going to get this leak diagnosed with some dye and find out where the think is leaking so I can put some r134a in there for good and not worry about it. If I find a leak, what do I do to fix it for good? replace the whole piping? Seal it with HEAVY DUTY CEMENT sealer? Jb Weld? Any suggestions? I want my car to be super cold when I want AC, because with summer ending, Sept still gets pretty hot here and there during the commute to school.

--------------------
1998 Mercury Mystique LS

- Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)

Post Extras: Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Tisby
Veteran CEG'er

Reged: 06/14/04
Loc: SBN
Re: Fixing A/C leak for good? Possible? new
#1308468 (Re: m4gician) 08/29/06 06:27 AM

It's gonna be the accumulator I bet. They tend to rust out. It's not really expensive IIRC, somewhere b/ $65 & $75 bucks for the part.

EDIT>Jsut noticed you're in Canada... Not sure what it'll cost you in CAD, but still not going to be expensive. However, with most of the hot days of summer gone I would wait until the spring to replace it. It's the friggin' salt that really accelerates the rust on the thing. It will rust out down south too, but I'd let the new one you'll need to install skip this winter just because...

--------------------
2000 Mystique LS
Duratec 2.5L MTX

Edited by Tisby (08/29/06 06:30 AM)

Tony2005
Addicted CEG'er

Reged: 06/19/05
Loc: Virginia, USA
#1308580 (Re: Tisby) 08/29/06 02:42 PM

Read this thread

--------------------
"Always do the cheap and easy ones first."

1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

BrApple
Hard-core CEG'er

Reged: 12/23/01
Loc: Enfield, CT
#1308784 (Re: m4gician) 08/29/06 08:35 PM

Originally posted by m4gician:
I'm going to get this leak diagnosed with some dye and find out where the think is leaking so I can put some r134a in there for good and not worry about it. If I find a leak, what do I do to fix it for good? replace the whole piping? Seal it with HEAVY DUTY CEMENT sealer? Jb Weld? Any suggestions? I want my car to be super cold when I want AC, because with summer ending, Sept still gets pretty hot here and there during the commute to school.

don't both doing anything yourself until you research how a AC system work and how to recharge it correctly ... Myself and progectsho89 have answered many questions on this topic this past summer ...

--------------------
- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd
- 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd

Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family

Beachboy
Veteran CEG'er

Reged: 04/04/02
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
#1311150 (Re: m4gician) 09/02/06 05:13 AM

Sealers or JB Weld will NOT hold up to the pressures of an airconditoning system.

--------------------
-Mark-

'99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000.

208,000 miles

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Lance Kinley, GTO Pete, Ray 

Print Thread

Permissions
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1279

Jump to

Contact Us Contour.org

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright 1999-2005 Lance Kinley

CEG and contour.org are not affiliated with nor endorsed by Ford Motor Company