• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Engine/Tranny Mounts

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
So my '98 Tour Zetec (137k) runs like a champ, has lots of power (well, it is a 2.0), good fuel economy, but it seems to vibrate quite a bit. The vibration only changes a small bit if I turn defrost on or off (thus kicking in the a/c). So I don't think I have an engine tune or timing issue. She settles at ~750 rpm at idle almost immediately, cold idle works well, and there's only a small amount of rod-knock. I searched around a bit on the engine mounts and transmission mounts and roll restrictors, and it seems there's some dissent on whether they wear, eventually collapse, and so forth.

So, given the above, I'm inclined to examine the engine/tranny mounts for phased replacement. Sound like the right track, or is there something else I should check first. Oh yea, no CELs of any kind.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Roll restrictors are a good place to start. Turn the engine on, pull the e-brake, put the car in drive (assuming it's an automatic), and look straight down behind the radiator next to the A/C canister. There's a RR on top of the subframe. Really easy to see.

Just lots of play. Trust me, you'll know. Additionally, if you take a good look at the restrictors and see the rubber is all cracked and beat to ••••, you'll know they need to be replaced.

just replaced all 4 mounts on my 96 the trans was rubbing on the subframe. both roll restrictors fell apart when removed. unfortunatly it still shakes at idle when in gear...

Back