• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Engine Mounts

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
I posted in another thread here that my Zetec vibrated in "Drive" while idling and not while in Neutral/Park. I questioned the age/wear of the engine tranny mounts and was advised to examine them in "Drive" with the parking break on (yea, I used wheel chocks too). They did not seem to be virating excessively, even when the a/c kicked ON/OFF due to the defroster being on.

I was looking on Rock Auto at new engine and tranny mounts and came up with another question.

This is a Rock Auto RHS engine mount, which looks a little different than mine, but:

getimage.jpg

...one thing about it is that is a LOT HIGHER than mine.

SDC10596Small.jpg

Mine seems to have sagged or rested all the way on the bottom of the mount. The Rock Auto part seems to be maintained up higher.

Is this an issue? Should I replace this mount? Is this normal appreance for a Zetec RHS engine mount?

I guess the picture of the Rock Auto Engine mount is upside down from the position shown in the "actual" photo. But does it still look "too low"?

I have a pre98, so I have a totally different mount (and a ••••ing massive one at that...), but just comparing the pictures, I'd say you're in the clear.

I wish I could. These are oil-filled mounts and what happens is the bottom rubber ruptures and the motor side of the mount drops down a fraction of an inch until it bottoms out on an internal stop that you can only see if you cut the mount open. It's really hard to tell just by looking at the height of the mount and brackets. However if you see oily crud on the bottom side of the mount, it's definitely blown. I've had very good luck with the Anchor brand mounts sold on rockauto. For Focuses at least, they sell for $25.

Wish I could help you more.

Also the typical symptom for a blown RH mount on these is for the cowl and wiper arms to vibrate against the windshield glass.

Back