• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

XCAL2 Deactivating CEL

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
OK, so, here's the deal. I need to get my car smogged. A CEL = immediate failure, for you non-CA people (like me, a fool who moved into the emissions-restriction capital of the world). I have an XCAL2 with a HypIll tune (soon to be a Warmonger!), and as I was resetting the the car to stock, I got a happy check engine light. It threw these codes:

P0155 - Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 2.
P1000 - OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete.
P1151 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent.

So, I uploaded the tune again: CEL is gone! My question then, is what happens internally to stop the CEL from showing; does the car simply repress the light when tuned, or does the tune go around the problem? If it's the latter, I'm thinking I can just get a stock-ish tune from Tom, upload it, and smog the car that way... Any thoughts people? The whole tuning thing is beyond me....

A new tune (i.e. PCM program) normally is the same as resetting the PCM. However this will trigger a hidden code in the PCM for lack of a complete driving cycle completion. (or whatever the actual OBD terminology is because I'm not looking it up :p ) Inspections that plug into the OBD-II port will see this code. It it "akin" to resetting (or disconnecting the battery) and then trying to get inspected. It will still show "pending codes" even if they have not triggered an actual CEL.
Depending on what type of scanner the inspector uses they can even see if you have the "actual" CEL turned off in the PCM code. (it's a switch option btw) The POS Republik of Kalifornia likely uses the better scanners. (go huge earthquake!!!) Many other states just use a simple code checker.

Last edited:
I had a feeling the tune was simply deactivating the CEL.... dammit, now I have some serious work to do. Is the "cycle incomplete" code the P1000?

Great! I already own an XCAL2, so I should be set. The only reason I haven't paid yet is I need to get the car through smog; unless youre saying you can turn off the codes without them knowing?

Great! I already own an XCAL2, so I should be set. The only reason I haven't paid yet is I need to get the car through smog; unless youre saying you can turn off the codes without them knowing?
That would depend on what scanner they use and if it's set to show if a system has been shut off or not. And of course if it actually gets rid of the CEL. Sometimes you can turn off a certain system and still have a CEL. Atleast I still had one when we turned off the EGR.

That would depend on what scanner they use and if it's set to show if a system has been shut off or not. And of course if it actually gets rid of the CEL. Sometimes you can turn off a certain system and still have a CEL. Atleast I still had one when we turned off the EGR.

Ross, that has been identified as an error on SCTs part. I'm not positive but I think the updated software and stuff may eliminate that on some cars. :shrug:
There was talk on SCTs forums about it.

A new tune (i.e. PCM program) normally is the same as resetting the PCM. However this will trigger a hidden code in the PCM for lack of a complete driving cycle completion. (or whatever the actual OBD terminology is because I'm not looking it up :p ) Inspections that plug into the OBD-II port will see this code. It it "akin" to resetting (or disconnecting the battery) and then trying to get inspected. It will still show "pending codes" even if they have not triggered an actual CEL.
Depending on what type of scanner the inspector uses they can even see if you have the "actual" CEL turned off in the PCM code. (it's a switch option btw) The POS Republik of Kalifornia likely uses the better scanners. (go huge earthquake!!!) Many other states just use a simple code checker.

Hehe - I just posted a while back in the Cali forum, I smogged with my fordchips supplied chip in place and passed. The chip completely deletes all non-continuous monitors, and some of the continous ones as well. I get a downstream O2 heater circuit fault without the chip - but passed the cali smog just fine with the chip in :)

Also - after pulling the chip out (without disconecting battery - i s'pose thats bad lol) all the monitors show up as complete and I get 2 drive cycles before tripping the O2 heater CEL.

This is what the monitor list looks like with the chip in:

chip.jpg

vs the unchipped:

no_chip.jpg

Back