• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Without resonator, thinking about cutting off mufflers

SVTED

Veteran CEG'er
So has anyone moved from a resonator delete to a full straight pipes set up after the cat?

I initially thought my car was so loud after the resonator delete but now I think it's pretty quiet :shrug:

One of my mufflers have a hole in it so I used some muffler cement to patch it up for now but I think it's only a matter of time before rust creates more holes.

I have an emissions test due by september so I'm thinking about doing the test and right after the test getting the same exhaust shop to cut off the mufflers and stick pipes in their place.

Good thing I know you're kidding Harry.

OP, that's not the kind of attention you want. That exhaust gets more of the "What the ???? is that horrible noise?!?!?!?" reaction from people.

Because I'm gonna have to replace my mufflers pretty soon anyway so I've been thinking about what to do.

Well and my buddy with a 240sx is planning on doing the same thing and the vids I've seen on youtube of 240sx's without mufflers is actually not too bad. So I was wondering if our cars didn't sound too bad either

They sound like ass. Most 'tours with aftermarket exhaust sound ????ty, let alone strait pipes. I hope you like more drone and rasp than a mid 90's honda, because thats what you will get.

Dont do it. I have a straight exhaust and the rasp is deafening. Please dont do it. No, really dont do it. Buy an exhaust from a company like borla, trubendz, etc. It will sound and flow great. Back when I set up my exhaust I just did it and didnt ask anyone for their advise, bad move.

Because I'm gonna have to replace my mufflers pretty soon anyway so I've been thinking about what to do.

Well and my buddy with a 240sx is planning on doing the same thing and the vids I've seen on youtube of 240sx's without mufflers is actually not too bad. So I was wondering if our cars didn't sound too bad either

You have a Contour, not a 240sx

I had that done to my tour. Lasted four months before I put mufflers on. It sounds good if you likethat kind of thing. But there is a nasty raspwhen it's cold and between 3 and 4 grand. Plus the drone at 2-3 grand is insane!!!! Try it if you want. But take my word for it. You will eventually want mufflers. Or a cop will ticket you for being to loud. Ask svt snob. He knows what I'm talking about there lol

Back