• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Winter dilema

Neither, I would go with the Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D's 205/50VR17 $124.00 from The Tire Rack.

My brother had a set of the Pilot's and didn't like them. The Blizzak's are good for in town, but on the highway the Dunlop's are the best I have ever had. I drive about 600 miles a week. I was going to go with the Dunlop M3's but the 3D's are replacing them and The Tire Rack told me that they are better.

When I got the 3D's the place that mounted and balanced them asked me what kind of tire they were, because they were really hard to get on the wheels, really stiff sidewall. With the stiff sidewall, they don't feel like normal snow tires.

For the same price in 205/50/17 for a WRX 2008 would you go with:

Blizzak LM-25 (131)
or
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 (133)

I like Michelin and am leaning towards the very same tire for my ride. I will say I had a set of Michelin "Pilot" Alpins about 4 years ago on my CSVT and they were great, nothing like having a "perf" snow tire that's "H" speed rated and it actually performing up to that level (that's all am going to say about that and I'm sure you get my point;) ) I actually got a price for a set of P205/50/17's and they were $625 w/ road hazard through Discount Tire (with my discount) and for a set of Hankook "Ice Bears" (V-speed rated snow tires rated at "extra load") the price was $525, again, with road hazard included.

Last edited:
Just for the record - I drove 300 miles a week - all highway miles - on 225/45/18 LM-25s in my RX-8.... and they were awesome! Quiet and grippy. I haven't used the others, so I can't comment on them, but I didn't have any problems with the Blizzaks at all. I was going to go with the M3 but found a local price on the LM-25s that was lots less than the shipped M3s so I went with them. I didn't reget it, and THAT's why I am recommending them. :)

I had blizzaks on my 93' 325i and they were awesome. I felt pretty confident driving anywhere, never skid out, atleast when I wasn't trying to. Those were the only snow tires I've ever had though so I can't compare them to anything else and I also never took it on the highway in the winter.

Back