• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Will 225/55/16 tires fit?

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
I will be buying a stock height SVT and will need winter tires.
I understand a shorter tire is correct but I have a very nice like new set of snow tire 225/55/16s from my SHO.
I could sell these, but prefer not to spend money if these will work on stock E0s.
Any thoughts?
-J

I guess not on snow...you normally want to "cut" threw it instead of skiing on top of it.
. wider tires pack snow down and give worse traction than skinnier ones.

Look at rally cars tires when they're in the snow.

But to answer the OPs question, they'll fit.

I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in the ride...that kinda depends on what tires you have.

My handling definitely went up tho...I increased mine from 205 to 225 and noticed a bit more grip. Once again tho...that depends on what kind of tire you get. I went from the stock BF Goodrich tires to Kumho Ecsta AXT all seasons. They aren't the most aggressive handling tire for Kumho but they are definitely a step up from the BF Goodrichs. They are considered ultra high performance all seasons. I wanted to get a set of General Exclaim UHPs when I was getting new tires, but nobody had them in stock and I needed them by the next day because I was making a trip to Georgia...

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
They are V-rated Michelin snows and should be good.
I was just concerned as its a slightly big tire for the wheel and didn't want handling affected too negatively.
-J

Ah, I just noticed what you originally wrote. Yeah, you generally want thinner tires (width wise, height wise is negligible) for snow. I honestly think that you will be fine though...considering that they are snow tires right? Just take it easy and everything will be A OK. Might as well use them since you have them and they fit...

Back