• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wideband Location Question for the Experts

I'm looking to add in a wideband o2 Sensor and controller. I'm trying to get a members feedback to a question.

Can I replace one of my narrow band o2 sensors (possibly the downstream ones) with a wideband. Many of the systems come with narrowband output. The seem to imply that I can direct the narrowband signal to the engine control system

I'm really trying to avoid having to weld in a new bung. If I have to, can anyone tell me where they've installed their wideband? I'd like to use a suitable location already chosen by a member who's had success!

Thanks,

Pete

Yes you can use a downstream o2 bung, but will need to have a tune to eliminate the CEL you will get from disconnecting your narrow band

when I got my test pipe I had a bung installed infront of the high flow cat for my wideband sensor and controller, when ever I get that installed ...

when I got my test pipe I had a bung installed infront of the high flow cat for my wideband sensor and controller, when ever I get that installed ...

I asked Trubendz to put the bung in, but they put it in after the cat, so I plugged it up, took it to a welder, and had him tig(stainless steel) a new bung in before the cat.

I asked Trubendz to put the bung in, but they put it in after the cat, so I plugged it up, took it to a welder, and had him tig(stainless steel) a new bung in before the cat.

what they did for me when I asked was they took their standard test pipe with high flow cat and bung after the car for the cougar and flipped the flanges, so instead of the car being right at the y-pipe then having pipe run to the exhaust the cat is closer to the exhaust. I was kinda ticked off at first they did it that way but it fit correctly.

what they did for me when I asked was they took their standard test pipe with high flow cat and bung after the car for the cougar and flipped the flanges, so instead of the car being right at the y-pipe then having pipe run to the exhaust the cat is closer to the exhaust. I was kinda ticked off at first they did it that way but it fit correctly.

Yeah, I thought I was pretty clear when I ordered mine, but they did it their way. Oh well. It was easier to pay a welder to do it(he taught me some tig welding tricks at the same time:cool: ). It did fit correctly.

Alright!

Alright!

Yes you can use a downstream o2 bung, but will need to have a tune to eliminate the CEL you will get from disconnecting your narrow band

Thanks for this, I'll talk to my mechanic, and if the weld in is a quick and easy, then I'll do that. However, if it's a problem to do it, then I'll just get brenspeed to complete a tune, they are awesome!!!!

Thanks pud

P

Same here. Mine is installed almost straight down on the top of the pipe, then the cable runs under the heat shield (directly above) into the cabin. I drilled a hole behind the vent assembly (behind the cup holders).

You'll typically want to avoid the OEM bungs as that will put the wideband angle out of the recommended range, which they say can allow moisture to build up and ruin the sensor.

To get optimal readings from a wideband sensor should the bung be mounted in a place where there is exhaust from all 6 cylinders or can you mount it where the sensor will 'see' just bank 1 or bank2?

Has anyone mounted two bungs (1 for each bank)?
Can you tune individual banks if you find they have different air/fuel ratios?

The best place to mount the wideband sensor is after the y-pipe connector and before the CAT and if you have precats then you need to get them before the precats but you will only have one bank to monitor but you should be fine if so. Never install the sensor after any CAT or Pre-CAT it will differ the readings from the actual cylinder A/F and will vary on the CAT temps if so too so it adds to many variables to the readings so keep it simple. Joey

Back