• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why is powerwashing not that effective?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I have to admit, I power wash my car at least once a week. I'll hand wash my car once a month. It's due to timing. With a newborn in the house, and it getting darker earlier, I just don't have the time to hand wash as much as I'd like.
Here's the question... I hadn't washed my car for about 8 days because it's been raining LOTS here lately. When I power washed my car on Saturday, I pulled out of the bay, and it looked like I had done nothing at all. The dirt was still stuck on the car like I had just taken a wizz on it or something. I ended up using a bunch of my Mothers Showtime and a lot of towels to get it cleaned up.
That's the first time I've ever had this happen with this car. Is it just because the dirt was caked on from the whole week or what? :shrug:
Looks like more hand washing is in my future.:blackeye:
Erick --

Id look at a better wax, or more frequent application if the dirt wont just 'wash' away.

Some dirt and dust just "sticks", and needs some mechanical effort to remove. It is especially noticable on darker cars (pud's is silfro, that's why he doesn't realize his car is dirty, lol) my Black M3 looks dirty to me even ten minutes after a fresh wash and wax . . .

Some dirt and dust just "sticks", and needs some mechanical effort to remove. It is especially noticable on darker cars (pud's is silfro, that's why he doesn't realize his car is dirty, lol) my Black M3 looks dirty to me even ten minutes after a fresh wash and wax . . .

not quite. Dust is hidden easier, dirt is not. Dirt is quite noticeable. When my powerwashes dont take off dirty easily, I know its time for another application of Klasse. But thats ussually 3 to 4 months from the last application. I cant listen to your opinion on car care.... You still use mothers carnuba :laugh:

Living in Michigan in the winter I powerwash my car to get off as much dirt and grime as I can. I then use a rinseless wash (DP 4-in-1; Optimum also makes a good product) in the comfort of my attached garage.

I use the rinseless wash in the winter due to the below freezing temperatures, but it also could be a viable option for year-round washing due to time constraints.

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html

Last edited:
Last time I washed my car in the freezing winter in my garage, I heard horrid ice cracking on the frame and suspension parts on my next drive. That and the whole garage floor was icey, not sure what to do this winter to keep the salt off as much as possible.

You need to wash the car as soon as you get off work and make sure the garage is warm enough for the car to dry, and give it enough time to dry what you can't get before taking it back out into the freezing temperatures.

If your garage is not attached I would suggest a little heater from Home Depot. They carry a large selection of Ceramic Ossolating heater with tip and temp protection that would keep your garage warm enough to help dry up those hard to reach places.

Last edited:
Back