• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where did your swaybar mount break

terryford8

CEG'er
Would invite anybody who had rear swaybar bracket problems to weight in to help my understanding of this problem..Option 1 beef up OEM bracket or Option 2 cut out OEM part and install Solo part Option 3...use Solo92s10 top part of bracket on reinforced factory part
thanks all CanaDoug

Slowly getting all the parts together to rebuilt my rear subframe
The brand new OEM subframe seems to have better swaybar brackets than the one on my 99 merc
mystique build date Sept 1998
Member solo92s10 has sent me a pair of his beautifully constructed swaybar mounts and has also gone far out of his way replying to all my questions. The older I get the less willing i get to tearing into the new subframe without all the knowledge i can get. I can cut out the OEM brackets to use the solo units or try to beef up the stock part.
Like a winning NASCAR driver I have to thank all at CEG for the fantastic help in getting all the parts I need before starting the job...Along with the new subframe Pole 120 sold me some super strong swaybar links along with almost brand new "allignment" bolts. I almost destroyed mine not realizing the nuts had to come off FIRST then the bolts will release. I had a long handled power bar with a hollow piece of pipe on the end trying to free the parts. contour_r_us sold me rust free almost factory fresh bolts for the front rear control arms(the square arms).svttour despite being super busy sent me a rust free front rear control arm to go with a brand new OEM arm...note to self...No more ebrake turns as running winter tires on front of car only(a big no no according to Canuck gov) with summer tires on the rear..have started to bend my original control arms.All these parts will join my Massive tubular rear arms just recently updated with new heim joints with rubber covers.
Now I just have to convince myself to spend the bucks to have these parts installed on my 1999 car
SPECIAL NOTE In no way do I pretend to know this subject well and am justing trying to add content to the site along with help keeping my beloved Merc Mystique on the road
DSC_3833 Lee phot&#111.jpgDSC_3835 Lee phot&#111.jpgDSC_0082 rear subf.jpgDSC_3836 LEE PHOTO &.jpgDSC_3817 LEE photo&.jpg

Here's where mine broke. On both sides.

P6200008.jpg

Counting my luckey stars that we do NOT see road salt in Oregon/Washington!!! My '95 looks mint compared to these "before" pictures. Thanks for these updates Doug!!!

B3NN3TT
Wow thats a big time bracket break
From your photo it seems you tried to undercoat...least thats what i think the black stuff is

I used zeibart undercoat on my first car.
Then bought some spray cans of black undercoating to touch up the Zeibart
Both products seemed to trap moisture under the undercoat

I stripped my chevy nova inside and sprayed all over but it rusted to pieces before my eyes

With my merc mystique i stripped out everything inside and used POR 15 special rust paint and so far...so good
Also did much of the undercarriage with POR 15 very expensive then covered it with Crown Rust Control
thats messy but seems to work much better
Mr Contour_r_us like i said before the bolts you send me were like factory parts...sure wish my car lived in your neck
of the woods...fighting the rust is a full time job especially where the front fenders bolt on at the bottom right beside the front doors
there seems to be a natural area there that collects muck and road salt...the factory fender inner liners help but not enough
thanks again all members
ps just want to make sure my comments about undercoat didn't come off as rude...really appreciate you taking
time to post your photo so hopefully i can make sure my BAT 21 mm bar always stays in place..cheers dp

Back