• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheelskin Inc Leather Steering Wheel Cover Group Buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried installing mine today...and it doesn't seem to fit right. I got all the way down to the last inch and a half and it was bunched up so bad that it just wouldn't of looked right had I finished it. I don't know if I did something wrong or what...I ordered the size c like Mike said in the post and it says size c on the box. I am gonna order some more thread from them and try again but if it doesn't work again I am gonna try and get a slightly smaller one I guess.

Maybe you missed a couple holes here and there? Mine bunched up very slightly towards the end. I have two sets of threads now to do the baseball stitch, problem is that it's freezing out! I'll post pics when I get it done though.

Just an fyi for those that bought these from Don...

I had breakfast with him again this morning and he wanted me to let you know if any of you have had any problems with the product to let him know. He stands behind it and will work with anyone to make their situation right.

And to sprebound, I asked about your situation with the bunching as you got toward the end and he said that can happen if you stretched it out too much around the wheel (clockwise and/or counterclockwise) while stitching it. He suggessted slowly trying to work the material away from the bunched area to redistribute it more evenly around the wheel.

He also wanted to let you all know the pricing he offered is still good for anyone from this group, and he will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

Aight, well Don sent me some more thread for free - real nice guy - and I took my steering wheel completely off and put the skin on. And it looks sweet! I will take some pictorials and post em up here by the end of the week. Word

Aight...here are some pics of mine. Finally took the time to upload them to photobucket. I have the euro two tone wheelskin with light grey stitching. Compliments the interior nicely. The blue leather of the wheelskin isn't an exact match to midnight blue, but you can barely even notice it unless you know that it is different. The flash of the camera really brings out the difference but it honestly is a real close match in daylight conditions.

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

Has anyone removed their OEM leather... and/or have pics of that? I'd think the wheelskin would fit better around the spokes with the OEM leather removed... but doesn't seem like anyone has done it.

Don wanted me to post this on here.

In looking over the pics, I wanted to reply to the thread about the bunching up some people are noticing. This usually happens when they pull the thread tight to the left or right while sitting in the car. If you pull the thread either straight towards you or away from you (being sure to keep the seam centered where you want it) that should eliminate the problem.

Also, people have removed the leather before and then installed a Wheelskin. I don't normally recommend that because you can't go back if you don't like it, but with careful planning it can work.

If the factory leather is torn, you can use silicone tub caulk or silicone gasket maker to seal down any torn bits and fill in any holes/missing bits. If you wrap the wheel in plastic wrap it will even come out smooth. This will make the Wheelskin installation look better as the leather is soft enough that holes or tears in the original cover will be visible through the new leather.

I would post this myself, I logged in to the site for this purpose several days ago, but I still can't post anything, I guess a moderator needs to do something first. So would you post this, and tell people that I am still honoring the Group Buy price, and still standing behind the product and offering free thread if needed, or leather samples to help people decide.

THANKS!

Don Mallinson, President
DC Carcare
http://www.dccarcare.com

Yeah, this guy is amazing! He sent me some extra thread for free, and then contacted me three weeks later JUST to make sure that everything worked out. This guy provides the absolute best customer support I have ever experienced. That is why people recommend him and that is why I will go back when I need something else.

Why would you post a link to ebay when this is a group buy for an excellent product from an established supplier? :nonono: :rolleyes:

Anyway, all of the comments about Don being a standup guy are dead on. I know him personally and have even been to his house for a local SVTOA chapter picnic.

If any of you want to meet him in person, he is planning to be at Gingerman for the Taurus Club track day on May 17. I'm sure he'd like to meet you too.

Last edited:
These guys have complete new svt leather steering wheels on ebay for only $29 if your leather is bad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250082697674&rd=1&rd=1

Well if you had searched you would find that steering wheel is questionable. I've contacted them in the past and they would not give me the Ford part number off of the steering wheel. Those auctions have been brought up a number of times, I know of at least two posts about that exact wheel on the archived forum. Feel free to buy that steering wheel and let us know how it turns out. Personally I'm fine with the Wheelskins cover I got from Don.

I'll post some pics soon of my install. I didn't buy from Don but I did use his instructions for the baseball stitch when I redid it. It looks a million times better and I highly recommend it. I also will attest to what he is saying about pulling the thread straight out after each hole. It makes it much tighter and eliminates any kind of gap on the inside of the wheel.

edit: pics!

baseball stitch FTW!
IMG_0123.jpg

This was my second try at lacing it, I'm confident the left side would look as good as the right if it was the first time.
IMG_0126.jpg

Last edited:
These guys have complete new svt leather steering wheels on ebay for only $29 if your leather is bad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250082697674&rd=1&rd=1

I contacted the ebay seller and the steering wheel he is selling does not have mating points for cruise control switches, you would have to fab something up.

If you want a "direct swap" steering wheel with a superior leather wrap (in terms of quality vs Contour, Cougar leather wrap does not turn to mush over time) get a 99-00 Cougar one. Only one color (black) but you could easily paint your airbag black to match or get a Cougar Airbag for a perfect match and get Parkedcar to make a vynyl overlay for the Cougar emblem in the middle of the wheel and your set (make it say SVT, Ford, etc).

Another perk of the Cougar steering wheel is the leather wrap actually covers all 4 spokes (looks better) and is perferated. The Contour wrap lacks these things.

I don't want to get into it in a GB thread, but that wheel looks alot like the FSVT one.. which is not electronically compatible with the Contour -- would require rewiring.

I don't want to get into it in a GB thread, but that wheel looks alot like the FSVT one.. which is not electronically compatible with the Contour -- would require rewiring.

Nope, direct swap. I've owned a 99 Cougar before buying my CSVT and have had both steering wheels off. Same exact plug and wiring.

It makes sense the Focus would not work, entirely different platform. Both Contour and Cougar are CDW-27 platform and most parts are interchangeable with no modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back