• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel wont come off..

urbansledder

New CEG'er
Hi..
I recently got a flat on the passenger front tire. I took the lug nuts but the rim wouldn't come off of the axle. I kicked it a little bit to try and loosen the rim, but nothing happened. Anyone know why this might be?? Maybe rust related?
Thanks

If it is alloys you have then this is a common problem, because of the different metals the alloy wheel fuses on to the metal of the drum.

As said a really good hit takes it off or loosen the wheel nuts and move the car backwards and forwards, dont take the nuts off too much though, cos that will then give you another problem.

yes, was intended as a joke

DISCLAIMER
*68fordman is not responsible for anyone dumb enough to drive around the block with the lug nuts off*

yes, was intended as a joke

DISCLAIMER
*68fordman is not responsible for anyone dumb enough to drive around the block with the lug nuts off*

LMAO. That disclaimer will definitely save you from a lawsuit.

I can actually see some idiot searching the forums, seeing that post, and trying it. :laugh:

I use a 2lb rubber mallet on the hub. If that doesn't work I've been known to loosen the lug nuts a few turns and drive it back and forth on the driveway.

The guys at the tire shop today use a 10 lb sledge hammer on the inside of the tire - they get under the vehicle a bit and hit the tire out away from the vehicle. It came off every time that way, after hitting the tire several times on the outside with the sledge.

Note that on the front tires if you hit the sides of the tire you'll stress the connection to the steering linkage. Try hitting the top and bottom rather than the sides. Stresses other parts, but they take much more punishment on the road than you can dish out with a sledge hammer.

-Adam

I use a 2lb rubber mallet on the hub....The guys at the tire shop today use a 10 lb sledge hammer on the inside of the tire

That's what we in the industry refer to as the proper use of a BAH (or in the case of the guy at the tire shop, a BFH) on an automobile... one of the few really good uses for one. That's how I've done it at the J/Y searching for parts and rims for my sister.

Back