• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel stud replacement

SVTFern

CEG'er
Looks like it is time to replace some wheel studs on the 'tour. I searched and read that in order to get the old ones out you just whack the stud with a hammer. Has anyone done this and what is the best technique? Also what is the cost of the studs? Also looking for the best technique to put in the new studs.

Thx

Fern

I whacked it out with a hammer, may have needed something pointier at the end to get it completely out but don't recall. To install the new stud, just use enough washers between the hub? and a bolt so you can tighten the bolt with enough clearance in the socket and it will pull the stud through. The new stud wasn't that expensive.

I just went to a Ford dealer, and it cost under 10 bucks for one, although maybe that was lucky...

Awesome how to for the rear studs. I read a post about having to use a lug nut to pull the stud through. I replaced two front studs today and was able to hammer them through from the back side. I guess with the rears the hammer technique will not work. Oh well all is good now. It was great to get the car off the jack stands and actually drive it around the compund where it is being stored. I also had to get a new battery and replaced the pads in the wilwoods. She is getting ready for the warm weather!!! Cant wait to let her loose on the streets!!!

Thx for the replies.

Fern

Yeah, the rear has a backing plate or dust shield that prevents you from swinging a hammer, as you did for the fronts.

Fern why did you change them? Just curious.

I have been having issues for the past couple of summers when taking off my wheels and not being able to get the lug nuts off. Yes they are torqued correctly when they are put. The nuts seem to be seizing. I have put lubricants on them but that hasnt helped.

I am actually going to replace the lug nuts to see if that helps but am wondering if it is the studs too. Remember all of that is original on my car.

Just wonder if you had a similar issue. Just curious.

While i was working on my brakes a made a mistake or two that caused the threads on the bolts to get damaged. I thought i could get the lugs back on but it just made it worse. Lucky for me the fronts are sooooo easy to change and at about $6 and change per bolt it was not painful at all.

Fern

just fine after the sheer sound of your voice scared the crap out of the tough bolt causing it to back out smooth as butter....... Smarta$$!!

Lots more work to be done on the car this weekend.

Fern

Back