• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what zaino product to order ...

BrApple

No Life But CEG
well as most know I am having my car repainted and I want to step up and start using Zaino products ...

so what should I go with since the car has just been painted. the paint will be compounded and buffed when I get the car back, would like a list of interior and exterior products.

of course the car will not be driven in the winter and only in good weather during the summer unless there is no choice, the rest of the time it will be under a car cover. this winter it will be garaged.

thanks

Have you looked at Zaino's website? Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of their products. I'd start out with one of their package deals, that comes with a bottle of their soap/shampoo, Z2 & Z5 "polishes," clay bars, applicator pads, detailer spray, and I think some of them come with leather cleaners and tire gloss. I picked up the ZKIT-1, which was everything for the exterior only. You'll save a few bucks going with the kit, and then you can just buy individually as you run out.

Mark

yes I did take a look at the website but I wasn't sure if there where specific products that I should pic over other since I have fresh paint, like do I really need a clay bar since the paint is fresh and will only have 60 miles on it when I go to apply wax for the first time on the new paint ... like I mentioned again with the clay bar the paint will be compounded and buffed so would I need it? Like I don't think that I will need the scratch and swirl remover but should it still be used in a process of application

just looking for alittle guidence as I have never gone to this level of detailing before

Something I have been told (having my car into the body shop enough times they know me by name) is to NOT wax the car for 30 days as the clear will still be hardening up. Dunno if this is try or not just what I have been told by my body shop. I hope someone can clear this up.

Something I have been told (having my car into the body shop enough times they know me by name) is to NOT wax the car for 30 days as the clear will still be hardening up. Dunno if this is try or not just what I have been told by my body shop. I hope someone can clear this up.

well I have heard that also, my shop told me this as the chemicals in the paint that help it set are still being released for awhile, the wax would trap those in ... that is how it was explained to me iirc

my plan, park the car for 30 days before any driving, except getting the car to the storage location, then drive some, but in 30 days is when the car comes off the road anyway ... plan to wax over the winter months for next spring after the paint has set for at least 30 days

Being that you have a new paint job and a clean and swirl free slate to start from now is the perfect time to refine your washing techniqes which are just or even more important then what products you use.

Check out Pete's FAQ. Think in 2s when washing. Use two buckets, one with your quality soap and another with clean water to rinse your wash mitts in after cleaning a panel. Also, use two wash mitts. I like to use a sheepskin for the upper portions of the car and I use a microfiber for the lower parts and front where the most dirt and grime accumulate. You might also want to look into getting a foam gun which can help prevent many wash induced swirl marks. http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun.html

You shouldn't need to clay or polish the paint to remove swirls being that it is a fresh paint job. I would just wash and add your sealant.

Zaino is what I'm going to use this time around. I've heard everyone talk it up so much, and I wasn't all that impressed with the Meguire's Nxt synthetic that I used last time. In regards to washing...what if we live in an apartment and have no hose to fill buckets or rinse with? It is ok to use the do-it-yourself pressure washers right? As long as we don't get too close and blast the **** out of the finish...?

Last edited:
well I just went with the ultimate kit since it had everything that I wanted for interior and exterior, I also added the glass cleaner/polish

Zaino is what I'm going to use this time around. I've heard everyone talk it up so much, and I wasn't all that impressed with the Meguire's Nxt synthetic that I used last time. In regards to washing...what if we live in an apartment and have no hose to fill buckets or rinse with? It is ok to use the do-it-yourself pressure washers right? As long as we don't get too close and blast the **** out of the finish...?

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could always bring a bucket and fill it up there with your own soap and their water. Wash the car, and then rinse it down. It's hard to get a lot of the dirt off of the car with just the do-it-yourself type pressure washers, although I used them for years. But if it costs $2.00 to activate the car wash, you'll end up spending $4.00+, just for water!! Boy am I glad I have a well. :)

Mark

What I have been doing is putting in the minimum $1.50 or whatever, going over the car with the soap setting of the pressure washer, then stopping and washing the car with my own foam sponge while the car is soapy. Then I deposit a little more $ to rinse and such. Is a foam sponge likely to trap particles and scratch the finish? I've always tried to use one side of the sponge for the top half of the car, and the other side for the bottom half.

I've always heard sponges are no good on the paint. I've been using this little brick sized pad that I got from Wal Mart(I think). It's mircrofiber on one side, and has a mesh/netting on the other side for bugs/tar. Really, anything microfiber is a good bet, or a nice cotton mitt works well too. I'd ditch the sponge though.

Mark

Zaino technically is not a wax...

I'm an official addict of Zaino and after spending almost 9k on a paintjob I used it a few weeks after.. just make sure that you are using clean towels and rags all the time.

Use Z2 exclusively for about the first 3 months on that new paintjob... you'll freak out how deep and glossy it will look and it will keep it looking just buffed from the bodyshop.

After 3 months I got a bit more agressive and went with some ZPC and Z5 and followed by Z2

Dude order some of this.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
I too live in an apartment (unfortunately) and this works great for me.
-tropictour

Use Z2 exclusively for about the first 3 months on that new paintjob... you'll freak out how deep and glossy it will look and it will keep it looking just buffed from the bodyshop.

Im a witness to this!! you will not believe how awesome the outcome is!

5-3.jpg

2-2.jpg

Goonzie we all told you forever how awesome Zaino is... glad your finally on the bandwagon!

Seriously, use it once and you will be hooked!

I'll let you know personally later this week. But I have heard nothing but good things over on autopia.com. I bought it mainly for the winter months. I will still use the Meg's GC shampoo in the spring/summer.
-tropictour

The first wash is always the worst, where you gotta take all the wax off, clay bar carefully making sure you get EVERY spot, and then applying the wax and buffing, which can be a pain in the neck if your doing it by hand like me. After that its all smooth :)

Back