• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What size rims? 16" or 17"??

El Chileno

CEG'er
Ok so I have E0 rims right now with wasted 205s. I'm thinking about getting some different size rims but don't know what size to get.
16 seems a bit small
17 seems just right
18 looks like it can be pulled off but I really don't want to have a tire that's 35 profile. Less performance with that profile.

So Im trying to figure out if it be better to stick with my 16" E0s or some new 17"s. I'll be running 225/50/16 or 225/45/17.

For a daily driver I thing the 17" wheels are just right.
I agree. like i said, just be careful of the offset. my current wheels have a 40mm offset which is too small so my tires rub. i would probably be fine if i had 45mm offset instead.

I was going to get these 17''s

EXEL-DL-46-HL.gif

Finish: Hyper Light Bolt Pattern: 4x100,4x108 Wheel Size: 17x7 Offset: 42

i think a 42mm offset will be pushing it with 225/45/17s still if your lowered. the tires are only moved 2mm in towards the car from what i have and i still rub even with rolled fenders. honestly, if i were looking to buy new wheels, i wouldnt look at anything less than a 45mm offset.

striker, I've run 42mm offset with 225/45/17. NEVER a rub, even with people in the backseat or a full load in the trunk.

It's my 18" with 42mm offset and 225/40/18 that I rub every once in a while. If the car dips low enough over a wave in the road or something, I'll hear it. Other than that, nothing.

I think it depends on the car and tire. with 17" supperleggerras and 225/45/17 tires I was getting alot of rubbing on the rear fenders when hitting bumps or taking corners fast. now that I have my car back together it does it less. but I also have new swaybar end links at all four corners. I still hear it from time to time. actually it was worst when I had the car loaded up for SZ.

striker, I've run 42mm offset with 225/45/17. NEVER a rub, even with people in the backseat or a full load in the trunk.

It's my 18" with 42mm offset and 225/40/18 that I rub every once in a while. If the car dips low enough over a wave in the road or something, I'll hear it. Other than that, nothing.
what suspension and tires were you running? both have a lot to do with it. in my case, im on B&Gs and running KDW2's, the top of the tires are just barely visible under the rear fenders. if i had more height in the rear i dont think i would rub, or at least could get away with a smaller offset than 45mm. i also think the KDW2's are just a little wider than the standard 225 tire, so that doesnt help.

The only advantage 17" wheels will have is they look different than the common E1's. IMO 16's have the best combination of ride and handling . No one here ever seems to mention that 17's and larger sizes are noticably harsher riding. Lower profiles also have an alarming tendency to follow ruts and irregularities on a road surface.

Anything larger than 17's .... you're getting into poser territory. Might as well go ahead and add a large rear wing and neon underglow while you're at it.

No one here ever seems to mention that 17's and larger sizes are noticably harsher riding. Lower profiles also have an alarming tendency to follow ruts and irregularities on a road surface.

That is absoloutly correct. The lower series of tire you get 60, 55, 45, 40, 35 the harsher the ride and steering is.

Back