• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What is This???

solo92s10

Hard-core CEG'er
Finally got to look at the rear calipers and after disconnecting the rear caliper from the flex line i noticed the caliper only had a few drops of fluid in it and the flex hose had none. So i disconnected the flex hose from the thing in the pic and applied brake pressure and still nothing so I disconnected the hard line from the thing in my hand in the picture and fluid would gravity flow if i took the cap off the resevoir. So in my conclusion the thing in my hand is what is wrong with my drivers rear brakes. Now the question i have is what is it called and where can i buy it? I assume it regulates pressure to that caliper but other than that assumption i know nothing about it. Thanks
th_Brakepart.jpg

Ive come to the conclusion that they are residual pressure valves. Ford can no longer get them, wilwood makes some and a few others. Now has anybody used these or would it be ok for me to bypass these?? Ive noticed on some pics of others cars that they dont all have them was there a change after the early 98s??

The pic is kinda small, but it looks like it might be a residual pressure valve. These are often added to rear drum brake cars to keep a few psi of fluid pressure in the rear brakes so the pedal travel doesn't get long due to the shoe springs pulling back the shoes. They're not used on cars with 4-wheel discs.

Is there one on the other side? Does it have a Ford part number? Was this a rear drum brake car converted to discs?

from my understanding only cars with rear drum brakes and no abs got those valves. so a SVT shouldn't have them as far as I know.

If your car is rear discs, there is no need for RPV's. Could you get some fittings and some brake tubing and bypass the RPV's?

Maybe it would easier to gut the RPV internals. Does it look like it might come apart internally? The guts should consist of a check ball and a spring, and not much else.

I have a 98 SE V-6 Auto with 4 wheel disc that has the valves. I have been meaning to ask which vehicles received them and what they were for?

I have a 98 SE V-6 Auto with 4 wheel disc that has the valves. I have been meaning to ask which vehicles received them and what they were for?

do you have abs?

at least with the zetecs without abs some have the valve at the master cylinder and some at the rear of the car at the rear brakes. but all zetec have rear drum brakes.

Last edited:
My car is a 98 svt. The braking system on the car is all oe and It has abs. The check valve has a ford part # on it and the valve is on both sides. From my readings the main use of these is on hot rods where the master cylinder would be located below the rear calipers. Not sure why ford decided it necasary to use them on some of the tours.

they are not residual pressure valves. they are pressure reducers which were installed on non-abs cars (drum or disc) so that the rear brakes wouldnt lock-up before the fronts. some early ABS vehicles may also have them if the ABS system wasnt designed to regulate the pressure to the rear brakes.

Back