• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What is ScratchX?

is it a real polish or just a filler? im hoping that its the first, but i'm guessing its the second...

It is definitely not a filler. I would say its more abrasive than a polish but less than a rubbing compound, just based on my understanding of Meguiar's product line and how they market ScratchX.

I tried it , and thought it was total CRAP ... returned the unused portion for a refund . Christine (LUCA) had the same thoughts - she returned hers too . IMHO , don't waste your money or time on Scratch-X .

it worked for me... i had some pretty serious swirls on my car and they're not visible now... so whatever scratchX does, it worked in hiding the swirls...

i was wondering because i didnt get to re-wax everything and if its a filler then it shouldnt matter anyways but if its a polish, then i really need to do that. plus since i dont have a buffer, i might do scratchX (if its a polish) when i go to detail + wax for winter

iplus since i dont have a buffer, i might do scratchX (if its a polish) when i go to detail + wax for winter

There's probably a clarification I should make... Meguiar's polishes are supposed to be completely non-abrasive. They use the term glaze and polish interchangeably. ScratchX is a very fine abrasive, meaning it will remove just enough clearcoat to eliminate fine scratches and swirls, yet leave a very smooth surface behind. Personally I would only use ScratchX on areas that appear to need that kind of work; otherwise I'd stick to a regular glaze/polish from their line. I don't know about polishes from other brands, so its up to you if you want to use something else.

ScratchX is the most aggressive hand-applied product that Meguiar's offers. The product removes clearcoat to get rid of defects, it does not just fill them in.

The key to sucess w/ this product is the application technique. It takes quite a bit of "passion" to get the results you are looking for. Most of the time, multiple (up to 3 or 4) applications are necessary to get the best results.

I've had great luck w/ this product in the past. I have removed a leaf imprint from the hood of my Jeep and many light scratches (like those inflicted from dogs jumping up to your window to greet you) but I have never (and probably will never) use this product on an entire car (although someone on Meguiar's On-Line did just that on a Suburban of all vehicles!). However, if you do not have a polisher to do the work for you, then just plan on a weekend detail and have fun! Oh yeah, make sure to stretch before you start :laugh:

I personally use DT57. It is a didi 7 product. works beautifully. It is a mild abrassive, but not nearly as harsh as scratch x. and you don't have a have an orbital polisher / buffer to use it. I used it on my 91 blazer (the hood was completely red and had gotten badly oxidized) It brought back the color in less than 10 minutes. (hand polishing of course) It kept the shine throughout the entire summer.

Last edited:
Buffer and a good polishing compound in the spring = paint will always look like new, at least until you've polkished right through the clearcoat, but by that time you will likely either not be driving that car anymore, have it painted, or you will be have died after being attacked by a herd of Mooses with chainsaws.

Ive used it, and has acceptable results. I was debadging my Ram and after I removed the adhesive mess that was left on the tailgate it occured to me that I had read that the newer Chryslers have soft paint. :( I scratched the crap out of the clearcoat during the removal. Cant say it removed the scratches, but it made them less noticeable (removed/cut down, didnt fill).

Does it compare to a real polish on my PC? No, but for hand application I did think that the results were acceptable, just time consuming.

Last edited:
Back