• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What is a good way to polish wetsanding?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I knauberized my car about 2 months ago. It left behind a little roughness on the surface (only on the drivers side). I hit it with some 2000 grit wet sanding paper, and it smoothed right out. Feels like glass now. I then hit it with some ScratchX, but I don't think that is abrasive enough to remove the 2000 grit marks. There are still some small scratches on the surface that I can't remove.
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to polish out the wet sanding scratch marks (by hand or random orbital)? Thanks,
Erick --

I don't think your going to get them out by hand. You should be able to use a buffer and some polish. Thats what I've always used and I've never had any problems.

I used 3M Perfect It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound on the wife's van to remove wetsanding marks I made to reduce some scratches. Then you could hit it with the ScratchX, and then maybe even a finishing polish after that.

You'll rub your arm off trying to do it by hand.

ScratchX typically takes 2-3+ applications to be effective, w/ vigorous rubbing for each application. Try a small area first to see if you get the results you're looking for, then have at the rest of the door!

I knauberized my car about 2 months ago. It left behind a little roughness on the surface (only on the drivers side). I hit it with some 2000 grit wet sanding paper, and it smoothed right out. Feels like glass now. I then hit it with some ScratchX, but I don't think that is abrasive enough to remove the 2000 grit marks. There are still some small scratches on the surface that I can't remove.
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to polish out the wet sanding scratch marks (by hand or random orbital)? Thanks,
Erick --

You're going to need a polish and a rotary buffer. You can forget about removing wetsanding marks by hand. :rolleyes: It's, just not going to happen.

Don't they make a non heated pad for the buffer? A friend of mine told me to use a non heated pad for best results.

Don't they make a non heated pad for the buffer? A friend of mine told me to use a non heated pad for best results.

Your friend is a idiot. All pads are going to heat up due to friction, that is how the polish breaks down.

You're going to need a polish and a rotary buffer. You can forget about removing wetsanding marks by hand. :rolleyes: It's, just not going to happen.

Agreed, but with softish paint as Contours seem to be, it can be done with a quality random orbit polisher like a Porter Cable 7424 (PC).

Back