• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Weight of SVT spare wheel?

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
Anyone know? Is there a significant weight savings over the stock non-SVT spare wheel? Is it true the SVT spares are aluminum?

It depends on the year of the SVT spare. The 98 SVT spare is a white painted aluminum wheel, while later models use a black steel wheel.

jack isn't bagged. just mounted under the tire. i'm guessing it was original...i had t use pliars to loosen the plastic wing nut thing:shrug:

Spare weights: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=23343&highlight=spare

I started that thread with the impression that all CSVT's had aluminum spares. Regardless, unless you're on OEM rims... I think the Focus SVT spare is a better option.

My FSVT spare weighed in at 25lbs, my (steel) CSVT spare was 27.5lbs. Sounds like the aluminum CSVT spare is ~5 lbs less than the steel one.

Last edited:
jack isn't bagged. just mounted under the tire. i'm guessing it was original...i had t use pliars to loosen the plastic wing nut thing:shrug:

Well I know my 00 SVT has the jack under the spare and the spare is a black steelie.

I guess we need to confirm by finding out from some more 99 SVT owners.

IIRC there was a thread in the past with the weight # of lots-o-stuff in the car. I read it a long time ago, so it was probabley in the old forum. It included the weight of the car with with everything in it and a 1/4 of a tank of gas. It also included the weight of the car with the spare, jack, floormats, and some other things missing. Does anyone else remember this?

So I think we can say the SVT aluminum spare was 98-early 99, then late 99-00 was the black steel spare. As for the jacks, it looks like Ford mixed it around for 99 models and then finally completely switched for 00 with the jack under the spare.

Back